4.0 out of 5 stars cultural awareness and circumstance, 7 April 2003
cinderella "and alfie" (Southampton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Hardcover)
This is a book about a young boy,Hassan. He has come from Somalia as a refugee. Hassan paints a picture at his new school to communicate his feelings and the lovely colours of home are smudged with the reds and oranges of war. This story then continues to tell of life through Hassan's eyes and gives an appreciation of the difficulty of his circumstances and explains how the family have come to England. My 10 year old loved this book and really apprecaited the content and my 7 year old read the story with tears. It ends on a positve note with colour and hope for Hassan and his family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, 27 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
Asylum seekers are so often demonised for political purposes. "Not in my backyard! We can't afford them here! No room!" are all too common cries.
It's easy to forget how much these people, and especially the children, have been through. This book tells in simple language the story of Hassan, who has witnessed things no child should ever see. The clever use of colour, bright and happy for his home, red and black for anger and war, grey and cold for his sadness and loss explains Hassan's moods and feelings where words would fail us. Towards the end of the story, colour and hope begins to return to Hassan's life.
An excellent resource which explains simply what it is like to be a refugee.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Colour of Home, 18 Oct 2009
J. Drake "jed" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
Used this book with my Year 3 class - they liked the story and loved the colourful illustrations. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
Love this story. Very thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book great delivery, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
Very moving story which deals with a harrowing topic with delicacy. My class of year 2 children were very engaged with the idea and we used it to think about different lives around the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story to support the teaching of differences, 22 May 2013
V. Viale "Pretty Marjorie" (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Color of Home (Hardcover)
I bought this book to teach my kids (I am a professional childcare provider) about differences. Small children are ready and eager to learn about new things and this story is perfect to support my teaching of different people. The character is a little girl so it's easy for the children to relate to her. I have put 5 stars because the book was an ex-library book, so although it shows (the book is not in mint condition and the library card is still inside), I think it's a great way to recycle older books.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very clear description of a refugee child's experiences of loss and building a new life with beautiful illustrations, 16 April 2013
C. Milligan "threeboysmum" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
I bought this for a group of 11 year old children with communication difficulties to help them understand a programme I was running in their class about asylum seekers and refugees. I was slightly worried that the illustrations looked like the child was in an infant class although he appeared to be older but the children didn't notice. The story raised lots of questions from all the children and hopefully as a community which hosts newly arrived refugee children helped them understand a bit more about their class mates. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, 8 Sep 2014
Cuthbert (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Colour of Home (Paperback)
A beautiful and moving book, one I look forward to sharing with my daughter when she is a little older and can understand the meaning. Lots of good themes besides the main war/refugee story such as moving house and settling in to a new school and making new friends. A real story of hope.

The Colour of Home
The Colour of Home by Mary Hoffman (Paperback - 1 Mar 2003)