5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it says on the cover...
Published on 28 Dec 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and useful, but not enough pictures!
This book is well-written, informative and useful. However, I think it would have been greatly improved if the lists of natives plants had been accompanied by photos, which would make the selection of plants much easier for less experienced gardeners.
Published on 5 Feb 2008 by P. C. Wilkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it says on the cover..., 28 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
This an excellent and well written book. There are sadly only a few books on creating wildlife habitats in your garden and this is the best one I have read. Included are sections on each area of the garden, useful lists of the best plants to grow, ideas for new habitat areas to create, I have followed some of the ideas and have seen the amount of wildlife in our garden grow considerably, last year we didnt have to spray for any harmful insects and this winter we have had a huge selection of birds in the garden that simply weren't there last year. The only downside would be the lack of clarity on what exacly to feed and when for birds - other than that this is an excellent, well written and informative book - if you are at all interested in the subject BUY IT NOW!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 17 May 2007
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
After the recent (delightful) arrival of roe deer in my garden I bought this book yesterday and read it straight through - it has exactly the right kind of information on gardening for wildlife: why exactly you should plant native plants rather than exotics. Which butterflies and birds feed on which plants. How to propagate wildflowers. How to arrange shrubs and trees to provide better shelter and animal cover. It's Chris Baines's attitude which is the most refreshing - got big bites out of your foliage? Good, he says, it shows you're providing food for xy and z insects, which are food for birds, which are food for larger birds, foxes and so on. I am lucky enough to have a very large country garden, but this book is suitable even if all you have is a city balcony. I am hoping to put his ideas on different kinds of meadow planting, ponds and wetland planting into effect by next summer. A really good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for wildlife enthusiasts, 29 April 2005
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
I can only give this book 5 stars as it is a book that is consistantly recommended where wildlife gardening is concerned. Not to say that it couldn't be improved, but it is a very enjoyable read. It strikes a good balance between narrative and practicle tips (mostly in the form of tables) explaining the ways in which you can attract wildlife to your garden. For example in one table it shows you how many species a particular tree attracts. Now if your expecting the book to name all 300+ species oak (quercus robur) attracts then your in for a dissapointment. Although it would be a vast undertaking if someone were to do that complete with pictures of the species then that would appeal to my passion for details in areas concerning wildlife.
It not only deals with trees but also our native flowers. Again not really naming all the species that they attract a lot of the time. But then again you don't really expect that from what is essentially a beginners guide.
Anyone willing to take their knowlege of wildlife gardening to the next level I would seriously recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Nov 2011
J. A. Macdonald (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
I first read the original edition of this book during my middle year of my HND Hort. back in 1985 and have read it a few times since. I have just finished reading it again as I am now lucky enough to have a large garden and I am slowly transforming it into a wildlife garden. I really don't know if I'd be here doing this today without this most inspiring of books. As a student I had a couple of booklets written by Chris Baines which were invaluable along with this book for my middle year thesis on conservation in the suburban environment. The list of seed suppliers couldn't have been more precious had they been illuminated with gold. Now we have the internet but still even today there are many pitfalls one could come undone by without the guiding pages of the wonderful book. The book is so well written, never judging nor patronising, always encouraging, and because of Chris Baines' immaculate credentials you know everything in the book is well researched and completely trustworthy. I almost wish my memory were worse so I could enjoy reading it yet again. He walks us through the creation and management of meadows, ponds, woodlands, hedgerows and encourages you to have a go even if like I did, you live in a pocky flat high in the skyline of central London. My window boxes and stairwell were always packed with something to interest the would be entomologist or botanist. However big or small your plot this book will help you on your way to making a difference. I hope your life will also be change by this book, even 26 years on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wildlife gardening, 18 April 2012
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
Such a wonderful book, I used to read this as I found it in a library, then I owned one and lost it (still don't know where). I bought this and I still enjoy sitting in the conservatory listening to the wildlife around us as the garden is right now, with a cup of tea of course, reading this through making notes and to be honest I look forward to such a time as I can put all this knowledge gained from this book to good use in my own garden and, if anyone would allow me to their gardens as well.
A definate must buy for any fellow wildlife lover who wants to know how to turn whatever space they have to the benefit of wildlife as a whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational if not instructional, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
Lovely photos and motivational text but maybe just lacks the practical 'how-to' knowledge found elsewhere. Having said that it does give good plant listings and covers many possible projects.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and useful, but not enough pictures!, 5 Feb 2008
P. C. Wilkins (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The guide, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
IMO, the definitive basic guide. Just the right amount of detail and planting lists advice, with good background, ethics and enthusiasm from the author. If you care about Wildlife, even if your plot is only a balcony, buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Make a Wildlife Garden, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
First rate book by someone who obviously knows his subject. Very well written & easily digested. Full of useful advice & information from cover to cover. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 25 May 2005
This review is from: How to Make a Wildlife Garden (Paperback)
This is the book I use all the time for my work as a wildlife garden designer. I also keep stocks of this book to sell to clients, so they can get the most out of their wildlife gardens, whether we ([...]) build them or not.

How to Make a Wildlife Garden
How to Make a Wildlife Garden by Chris Baines (Paperback - 19 Oct 2000)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available