5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Colour in Decoration, 11 Dec 2000
This review is from: Colour in Decoration (Hardcover)
I own about 25 books on interior design and home decoration. This is certainly in my top three, and probably the most oft consulted of them all. Each chapter covers one of the basic colours, from green and blue through to pinks and neutrals. But after this sparse description it is hard to convey the beauty and depth of this book. When I say cover a colour, I mean really explore it. It's cool version, warm version, soft, light, borderline with its neighbouring colour on the colour wheel.
And the way that each colour is covered is unique. Very minimal (but useful) text, and instead full page pictures of utterly inspiring interiors featuring the colour tone/intensity on each and every page. It uses excellent photographs from a wide and rich range of interior design. All true to life from real (moderna and historical) homes - and usually illustrating a good marriage between a particular colour/shade and the style it most compliments. Going through it, one soon becomes aware of one's taste. The pictures are so good - so evocative of the theme of that particular colour - that one has a simple emotional response of things like "love", "comforting", "not me", "does nothing for me", "joyful", etc. Using this book and trusting my visceral response to the delightful, subtle shades on each page, I virtually decorated my whole house.
A very sophisticated book on colour, that speaks to us in the most simple of ways - through the eye to the heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 4 Nov 2002
This review is from: Colour in Decoration (Hardcover)
I bought this book to help me with my Interior Design course, and found it immensly helpful. The photographs are wonderful to look at, and at the same time provide you with some great design ideas! Whether you are a first time home buyer, or a design/art student, this book will be a big help in helping you to decide on what colours you like best. Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant book, 29 April 2004
This review is from: Colour in Decoration (Hardcover)
This is by far my favorite book on interior design. I 've had it for a fewyears now, and I always come back to it...It is worth two big carboardboxes of magazines on decoration ! For those who don't like buying a bookwithout seeing the inside pictures, this one is a very safe buy.Beautifull and very inspiring...

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite too!, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Colour in Decoration (Paperback)
I can't really add much to the previous reviewers' comments but wanted to cast my vote, as it were, for this being the most useful and inspiring book on colour you will find - and not just for interior design purposes. It would be helpful for any sort of art,craft or design project involving colour and, as other reviewers have found, is the book out of all the many I own on the subject to which I always return. It brilliantly evokes the character of each shade of colour in a way I haven't come across in any other book

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable reference book, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: Colour in Decoration (Hardcover)
I've owned this book since the early 90s and I still read it at least once a year. The only decorating book I know of that really covers colour in detail, showing many period interiors in startling shades of deep red, burgundy, browny-purple, turquoise, etc, in contrast to the modern, rather wimpy shades that most of use, such as peach and magnolia. Every colour is covered, and every shade of that colour, and you can clearly see from the excellent photographs the difference between a warm and a dry brown, or a cool yellow versus a warm yellow. The section at the back, showing how to mix colours, are really useful and enabled me to obtain great glaze effects on period furniture, and have even been used by my artist husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
very good

Colour in Decoration
Colour in Decoration by Kate Gwynn (Hardcover - 4 Oct 1990)
Used & New from: 24.98