4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting return to Wuthering Heights and the tragic Brontes
When I first read Wuthering Heights (at about age 12), I loved it but upon revisiting it at University I found it a deeply disturbing tale of cruel love, heartbreak and the disastrous consequences that can result from obsession.
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by pacem et amorem

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful
A truly terrible piece of writing. An injustice to the memory of the Bronte sisters. The 'author' couldn't have thought of a better way to drag the names of Charlotte, Emily and Ann through the mud. Who thinks like this? If you are a fan of the Brontes work then definately don't read this book. If you are a fan of titillation then maybe its for you.
Published 7 months ago by Thalia

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting return to Wuthering Heights and the tragic Brontes, 12 Jan. 2013
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read Best's other re-imagining of another literary classic, 'Oliver Twist Investigates' I thought I'd give this a go. Best approaches this tale in the same manner, blending historical fiction with new and throwing in facts from the lives of the Brontes to add to the story. Such facts are further blended with fiction to create an interesting novel, full of mystery and with thrilling elements.
The Brontes were a family beset by tragedy and it is this which sparks Best's story and his many theories. Wuthering Heights Revisited is based on a fundamental question - what if the characters in Emily Bronte's tragic masterpiece had been based on real people? It then broadens out into an exploration of further questions, resulting from the initial. What if these very people had had a connection to the family. What sort of shadow would have been cast over the Brontes as a result? Why did the family suffer so many premature deaths?
Best has explored the many mysteries surrounding the Brontes and skillfully woven fact and fiction (both his own and that of the Brontes themselves) to create an interesting and entertaining re-imaginging of history and literature. I have visited the Bronte Parsonage and can imagine myself there as I read Best's descriptions of it and of his protagonists experiences there.
This is a story that will leave you wondering about it for quite a while - much in the way that Wuthering Heights itself haunts the reader after they finish its final page.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 11 Jan. 2013
Wuthering Heights is my all time favourite book so I was a little doubtful when I bought this as it hadn't been reviewed and I didnt want it to ruin what I already know and love. But as it was so cheap I went for it and Im glad I did.
It explores what could have been the story behind the famous novel in a dark and sinister manner befitting of the original book. It deeply involves the Bronte family and the tragic circumstances surrounding their deaths relatively young. It gripped me from the very first page and I found it hard to put down.
I can't say too much as it will spoil the story but can highly recommend if you love Wuthering Heights and a bit of mystery. Just beware you may not look at Heathcliff the same way again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Wuthering Heights Revisited (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Wuthering Heights Revisited (Hardcover)
Excellent x

Wuthering Heights Revisited
Wuthering Heights Revisited by G. M. Best (Hardcover - 30 Dec. 2011)