5.0 out of 5 stars An expert guide for anyone and everyone who writes poetry
Published on 24 Oct. 2009 by P. Wilkin

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
I didn't think this was very good
Published 8 months ago by Mark Hutchinson

5.0 out of 5 stars An expert guide for anyone and everyone who writes poetry, 24 Oct. 2009
P. Wilkin (Keighley, W Yorks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
I wish this book had been available many, many years ago. Reading 'Poetry Writing: the expert guide' has made me aware of just how naive my own attempts at writing poetry have been. This is the most wonderful guidebook with a text that is so rich and enjoyable I decided to postpone all the exercises the author suggests so that I could quickly move on and reach the end-point of the book.

Having been so stimulated and inspired by the book's content I have now returned to the beginning again, this time to work my way through it slowly and systematically in order to utilize the author's suggestions to try and improve my own poetry.

'Poetry Writing' is such a comprehensive book written by a credible and highly respected prize-winning poet. Starting with the question 'What is poetry', the author goes on to identify and explore all the ingredients necessary to create a poem and, perhaps most importantly, how to combine those ingredients to best effect so that the poem sits and flows like a well-balanced boat in the water.

Whatever level you currently feel to be at - from novice to accomplished/published poet - there is definitely something in this book for everyone. Whilst each chapter aroused and intrigued me, I found the chapters on 'Meter', 'Beat', and 'Register' invaluable and, in particular, the chapter 'On Difficulty, which addresses the issues involved when writing about highly personal and emotional material.

The author's writing style is sagacious and supportive and her love and deep passion for poetry shines so brightly from every page of the text. I can't wait to begin re-working my old poems and birthing new ones in the light of all the insight and realization this marvellous book has already given and continues to give to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't found a better one: really great!, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
There are several very good guides but none beats this one for me. I liked Glyn Maxwell's which is full of originality and strong views - a literary achievement in itself. Eavan Boland's (with Mark Strand) The Making of a Poem is a super guide. The old Teach Yourself by Robin Skelton is still inspiring. But with the advantage of Sampson's incisive style (as in her survey of recent poetic movements) with excellent practical explanations, I tried improving a poem I was working on: I found it was like having the ideal teacher at my elbow and felt it was improving what I could produce. It's a book I have already been able to dip into again to find advice on areas and look forward to reading it through again. Definitely buy it. Dare I mention Homer nodded? .Page 187 mentions Chaucer's Tristan and Isolde: I haven't read all Chaucer but did this refer to Troilus and Criseyde? And page 171 shouldn't Auden/ Isherwood's Letters from Iceland be Auden/MacNeice? Being picky, do you patch up with WD-40? (Page 147). And surprising that Shakespeare's sonnet "Shall I compare thee" is to a girl (Page 141).Teensy quibbles in a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and informative, 7 Mar. 2010
David Stewart (Glasgow, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
This is an easy to read, but extremely helpful book. I have no complaints about it, only compliments. The author treats the reader as an adult whilst appreciating that the reader may be new to poetry, she strikes the perfect balance in speaking to the reader. This should be a part of any poetry fan's book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
I found this an excellent resource during editing stages, and to give new direction to poems that are faltering in some way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
It goes into great depth regarding the art of poetry.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 29 Aug. 2014
I didn't think this was very good

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide (Hardcover)
Total waste of time and money. Don't have a clue what the other reviewers were talking about. Unclear, wishy washy.

Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide
Poetry Writing: The Expert Guide by Fiona Sampson (Hardcover - 30 Oct. 2009)