5.0 out of 5 stars Lawyers' Latin: by John Gray, 24 Nov. 2002
Elizabeth Skelton (Scottsdale, Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
A delightful book - one of the few dictionaries that one can read for the pure enjoyment of enlightenment and not merely for reference. Whether or not you are a lawyer or a Latin scholar you will find the author's clear passion for his subject and subtle sense of humour extremely appealing. Vivat lingua Latina -may it continue to enrich our language and the law!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lawyers' Latin - a gem of a book, 23 Dec. 2006
Dr. P. Jepson "Dr Peter Jepson" (Strode's College, Egham, Surrey.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As a Lecturer in Law I often feel uncomfortable when it comes to latin legal terms. "Lawyers' Latin" is a gem of a book, it provided me with a valuable reference for when I am lecturing or writing. This book, written by John Gray, is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars latin latin latin, 12 July 2009
C. Dunn (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
brilliant book full of latin phrases - exactly what you expect really. the only thing i didn't like so much was the hammering home of the move away from latin in the law in england and wales...we already know about it, and it's in the intro, so i would have preferred not to have it referred to throughout the text.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful little book, 10 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
Perfect for the budding lawyer, or anyone with an interest in law, who doesn't want to be bamboozled by Latin quotations and phrases.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hereby pronounce you... oh no - perhaps I don't?, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
In what, I presume, is a sign of an impending mid-life crisis - and despite the thinly-disguised incredulity of pretty much everyone who knows me - I am giving very serious consideration to enrolling myself on an Open University Law degree next year. I know that Latin probably doesn't feature very much in the modern legal world but, if I am to win over any learned but curmudgeonly potential familial benefactors (and thus convince them to put their hands in their pockets in order to help me with the tuition fees) I need Latin words and phrases to impress them with: and lots of 'em.

In any case, this book's scope extends far beyond the interest of just lawyers and law students. Folk simply aren't given the opportunity to study Latin as an academic subject these days which, in combination with the media's relentless drive to 'dumb down' everything, must conceivably have left vast numbers of people quite in the dark about even the most basic Latin terms referred to here. And I would probably have included myself in that number, although I actually DID do battle with ablatives and datives way back when.

Not that there's anything like as scary as those two grammatical heavies lurking in here. You'll find just the Latin entries arranged in alphabetical order, alongside their English translations. In addition, there will usually be a literal explanation of why any lawyer might feel a burning desire to incorporate such a phrase into their daily life plus examples of where some of them HAVE been used, in legal history as well as other fields such as literature and the arts.

Of course, once you've learnt all these phrases - especially if you're not a lawyer - then you're probably going to have to share this little work with everyone you know, so that they can learn them too. It's all very well dropping an 'in vino veritas' or a 'festina lente' into the conversation... but if all you get in return for your trouble is a blank expression or an offer of a quiet place to lie down, then that can definitely leave you wondering why you bothered.

There aren't many laughs to be had within these pages, which is unfortunate. I wasn't expecting a volume which delivered gags at a faster rate than Ken Dodd (although some of his jokes are so old that someone like Tacitus might well have had a hand in them originally), but I think a bit more humour might've worked wonders.

A much more serious crime in my opinion however, is the complete lack of any guidance with regard to the correct Latin pronunciation. Instead, it's suggested that the reader might also like to fork out for 1998's 'A Dictionary of Latin Words and Phrases', which apparently represents the fount of that particular branch of knowledge. I'm not so sure I want to be doing that.

Yet, if I don't, I fear that - far from sounding intelligent - I am instead going to end up giving the impression that I am more than a tad bit daft.

Mind you, there's nothing so unusual about that I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
I rated it 5 stars, because for such a small book, you find every Latin law word that they don't teach you in college. This book will benefit me not only in college, but after i graduate and head to Kings Inns as i want to pursue a career as a barrister, it will be very helpful to me then

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh well..so that's what they really meant., 19 Mar. 2013
D.Kravic (The Caribbean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
Very interesting..I've got this natural distrust of lawyers..with all their double talk....always thought they were bamboozling me.
I did latin at school....sadly it is now just an option at some high schools...I think that young teens are nowadays being short changed..education wise. At least I know now that "MENS REA" has nothing to do with anatomy.
Forgive me but there's so little we can laught at these days

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, 22 Jan. 2014
Has all the Latin terms I have ever come across in legal journals, cases or textbooks. Saves me having to look them up on the internet. Great if I am in a situation where there is no internet. Quite small, fits in any bag. Good quality hardcover book. Very pleased that it was cheap.

Would recommend to any law students who have never studied Latin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that's needed, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Lawyer's Latin (Hardcover)
I know you can find all the terms on the internet but there is nothing like having a book to flick through. This arrived really quickly and the cover feels so smooth, all my friends keep touching it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lawyers Latin, 13 Jan. 2013
Informative,relatively erudite,occasionally amusing.
I thought it would be so.
This is why I ordered it.
I got what I expected to get .
My judgement was sound.

Lawyer's Latin
Lawyer's Latin by John Gray (Hardcover - 30 Nov. 2006)