5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, you could almost hear Darcy's voice
This is one of the best I have read so far, I was so sad when it came to an end. You could almost hear him telling you of his pain when Georgiana is so deceived by Wickham and Mrs Younge and how he blames himself for not protecting her enough.
Published on 15 Oct 2005 by Lynne Robson

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read
There's a lot of quoting from Pride & Prejudice in this book, including most of Darcy`s massively long letter to Elizabeth. The simple -- almost childlike -- style doesn't seem right for Darcy. He also has an implausible talent for memorising great screeds of conversation that he has had during the day and reproducing it exactly in his diary.

Caroline Bingley...
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by S. B. Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, you could almost hear Darcy's voice, 15 Oct 2005
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
You can understand some of his anger and alarm. Why at first he seems to like Caroline Bingley, as his friends sister. But soon realises what she is.
You can read his thoughts about Elizabeth, how at first he becomes fasinated by her, because he as never met someone so guiless like her. Then eventually how this turns to love. You can feel the hurt she bestows on him at Hunsford and the anger at Wickham when he finds Lydia and him holed a run down tavern in London.
You can feel the love develope between them during the courtshipe and marriage. I loved the visions she gave us of their married life.
I hope Amanda Grange will write a follow up to this book as I would be one of the first to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 4 Dec 2006
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
If you've ever thought, 'How could he say that?' when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth the first time, or wondered what he thought of her when he met her again at Pemberley . . . if you've ever wondered what he said to Wickham when he finally found him in London, or what he said to Lydia . . . if you've ever wondered what Darcy felt when Elizabeth said 'Yes' . . . if you've ever wondered what happened at Christmas after Lizzy and Darcy were married . . . then this book will answer your deepest desires.

Ms Grange has also written Mr Knightley's Diary, which I loved, and Captain Wentworth's Diary, which isn't out yet but I want to read, too. I hope she does Col Brandon's Diary, that's one I would love to see.

I'm editing this review to say I've just found out from Amanda Grange's website that there's a paperback of Darcy's Diary, but it's called Mr Darcy's Diary - the slight change in the title is probably why there doesn't seem to be a link to it from this page. Anyway, you can type Amanda Grange into the search box and it will bring up al her books, including Mr Darcy's Diary, or you can type the ISBN into the search box, which is ISBN-13: 978-1402208768

5.0 out of 5 stars A light and enjoyable read, 17 Jan 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
I started reading this book expecting to be disappointed. Although I very much enjoyed Pamela Aidan’s trilogy of books in the Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentleman series, I am well aware there is a huge tract of dreadful material out there which is a follow-up or a retelling of Jane Austen’s story, and I thought it quite likely this would be one of those.
How wrong I was! I was relieved to discover very quickly that Amanda Grange knows her subject, knows how to write in a lighthearted and enjoyable way, and I ended up reading the entire book in one sitting. It’s short enough and light enough to do that – the story moves on with more pace than Austen’s book and Elizabeth features in most of the scenes in it, unlike the original. We get more of an insight into their life after their marriage – how the reconciliation with Lady Catherine takes place, and even an engagement between Colonel Fitzwilliam and Anne De Bourgh.
I have mentioned Pamela Aidan’s three books, also written from Darcy’s perspective. It’s been interesting to read these two works only a few weeks apart as they couldn’t be more different. Aidan’s books are detailed, things move slowly, most of the action is taking place inside Darcy’s head as we follow his thought processes as he falls in love with Elizabeth. Although in this book, written in the form of Darcy’s diary, we do get some of his thoughts these are not particularly detailed. In some ways it read almost childlike – easy sentences, minimal description, fast-paced. But it worked really well for this book and made it a fun read.
The plot device of this being Darcy’s private journal worked reasonably in some ways (it could be written in the first person) but had drawbacks – can anyone seriously imagine a gentleman writing for an hour each evening a diary with verbatim reporting of long conversations? But it was a useful tool upon which to hang the story and worked fairly well.
Probably 95% of the dialogue is lifted directly from Jane Austen’s work but Amanda Grange certainly knows how to write in the style of the period as any other dialogue that she inserted worked really well. This was a seamless work which fitted in well and was true to the original.
Finally, it has to be said it was a relief to read a book written by an Englishwoman which was therefore bereft of the so-common American mistakes. Such a delight to read a book without a single “gotten”, “fall” (for autumn) and “inquire”. Very picky of me, but I think some of the other books I’ve read have shown a lack of decent editing and research.
I certainly recommend this book. I understand Amanda Grange has written at least nine other books. I shall be on the lookout for them now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious treat for all Austen addicts..., 21 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
..especially for those who wish so much that she'd lived to write a few more! (But that's all of us, isn't it?) Amanda Grange's book is one to pounce upon with joy - Jane couldn't have done it better herself. It's far from easy to pull off this kind of thing perfectly, without a single note that doesn't ring quite true, but Amanda Grange has done it wonderfully. Put this on your wish-list, all Austen-addicts! Better still, treat yourselves at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Sep 2005
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
Amanda Grange has perfectly captured all of Jane Austen's clever wit and social observations to make Darcy's Diary a must read for any fan. You won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 5 Jan 2012
S. B. Kelly (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Kindle Edition)

Caroline Bingley takes an surprising interest in the doings at Longbourn for someone who professes to despise everyone there. Twice she leads Darcy to believe that Elizabeth has engaged herself, firstly to Mr Collins, then to Wickham. It does not do to play the same trick twice. How, exactly, does she 'happen to be passing through Longbourn' so that she may conveniently hear of Wickham`s pursuit of Mary King and Lydia`s departure for Brighton? It makes no sense.

There is also far too much of people calling each other by their Christian names: Darcy/Caroline, Caroline/Georgiana, Bingley/Georgiana. It's perfectly clear in Jane Austen that, among 'well-bred' people, only brothers and sisters were so familiar. Darcy would no more address Miss Bingley as 'Caroline' than he would stand naked in Piccadilly.

Perhaps all attempts to write works based on Jane Austen are doomed to failure, though Grange has the decency to give Anne de Burgh a personality, which Austen didn't bother to do. Despite its faults, this was an enjoyable read and, as a Kindle download for 99p, a cheap one. Compared to P D James lamentable 'Death Comes to Pemberley' which I wasted over 6 on recently, it's almost a work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darcy's Diary, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Kindle Edition)
I will admit I selected this book on my home screen with dread. I was wondering what on earth had possessed me to buy yet another Jane Austen rip off, and praying that it had cut down on the flowery language of Jane Austen.

Thankfully it had (possibly to show that it was coming from a male perspective), and was lovely to read - giving Darcy much more depth than I had ever thought of him having before, why he said what he said to Elizabeth on his first proposal, and for how long he had been falling in love with her without wanting to admit it.

Darcy's Diary is a must-read for any Pride and Prejudice lover, which I didn't want to put down - and indeed I didn't put it down until I had finished reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars well written and enjoyable, 23 May 2006
This review is from: Darcy's Diary (Hardcover)
A little constrained by the chosen format, but true to one's conception of him. A bit too inclined to quote from the book, but the side characters like Georgiana and Wickham are filled out well, and Lydia is much more believable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes Darcy sound like a chick-lit heroine, 6 May 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a very light and frothy addition to Austenalia which follows the original but sees it through the eyes of Darcy who writes everything up in his diary at night. This premise plus Darcy's own voice make him sound like a modern-day chick-lit heroine: for example, after having been rejected by Elizabeth, he sulks `I mean to attend every party and ball to which I have been invited' with an unsounded `so there!'

There are moments where Austen's elegant and balanced prose escapes this particular Darcy whose floating participles would make his creator gasp in horror: `I could only suppose he had virtues I knew nothing of'. There is also an irritating over-use of certain words, so Caroline Bingley always speaks in a `droll' tone, and Elizabeth with a `sardonic' look in her eyes.

This may well suit die-hard Austenites who can't get enough of returns to P&P.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darling Darcy, 20 Feb 2012
Ms. R. S. Dampare (London, England) - See all my reviews
I got this on a bit of a whim when I saw it in the Kindle sale for 0.99p and I am so glad that I got it. OK, so this is not exactly what one would class as "literary fiction" but who reads that stuff anyway? This is a light-hearted and interesting insight into a much-loved and much-adapted tale. It gives the reader a chance to understand how Darcy felt and what motivated him to behave the way he did, particularly in his manner towards Elizabeth. I read this very quickly and it was a lovely bit of escapism. Highly recommended. 4*s

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Darcy's Diary
Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange (Hardcover - 31 Aug 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01