5.0 out of 5 stars This book took us from despair to hope then success.
Published on 19 April 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not true
Though I'm sure Mrs Maurice's intentions are good, the idea that a few months of part-time ABA will transform a severely autistic child into a completely normal one can only be described as a lie.
Published 18 months ago by Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars This book took us from despair to hope then success., 19 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph Over Autism (Paperback)
I read this boook two years ago, and it opened our world of despair by showing us a practical method of teaching autistic children. Written by a Mum of two children diagnosed with autism, who recovered them both using this behavioral method. She is a very intelligent writer who will break your heart then make it soar. A must for every parent and professional looking to intervene autism in young children. We have now begun this programme, and at last our son is learning skills. I'd recommend this book even to those who just love a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changes lives, 9 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I read this book as the mother of an autistic girl and felt, at last, that someone had articulated many of the deep and confusing feelings that I was going through. It also restored my hope and 7 months on, my daughter is on the type of programme described in Let Me Hear Your Voice. The results have made me so glad that this was the first book on autism that I read. Beautifully written as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has been my inspiration and friend, 14 Jan 2007
This no-nonsense, often painful, yet inspiring account of a family's battle against their children's autism made me sit up and listen. Thanks to Catherine Maurice who used the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis over all other "therapies" that were available to her during the initial "what can I do to help my child?" panic that most of us feel when our child gets a diagnosis of autism, we immediately set up our own ABA programme, and the results so far have been staggering for our son. A word of caution - not all children will fully "recover" from autism as Catherine Maurice's did - I think this book is inspirational and highly motivating for parents, but the reader needs to be realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice above the rest, 20 Oct 2003
By A Customer
We were desparately trying to understand why our son wansn't talking and we picked up this book because its title expressed precisely what we were feeling. "Let Me Hear Your Voice" gave us not only the answers we were looking for (when we read it we realised in fact that our son is on the autistic spectrum, and it read as a similar experience to our own) but also gave us a great hope that one day he will speak. This book gave us the strength to fight for a proper diagnosis and for the first time we read about actual methods used to help children with autism. Thank God that this is the first book we read on the subject because the hope expressed in its pages has not been extinguished by the negativity that surrounds this subject. Catherine Maurice has given a voice to mothers and fathers - a voice that expresses the anguish, love and determination of parents with children on the autistic spectrum and lights the way for the parents' journey to help their own children find a voice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not true, 14 Jan 2013
I have two severely autistic children. They each had several years of full time ABA and as far as I can tell it made no difference. Neither ever started to talk and they are both still profoundly disabled. I asked my (very experienced) ABA supervisor about the scenario described in this book and she simply answered "that NEVER happens". There are no properly documented instances of this kind of "recovery" and we only have Mrs Maurice's word that this ever happened. Through internet sites I've been in touch with dozens of parents using this therapy and not one has had anything like this level of success.
Most disturbing of all is Mrs Maurice's explanation of why her family should have had such unique success with ABA. According to this book it is because "God answered their prayers" (yes, really!) and this woman claims to take a scientific approach! She does not explain why God chooses not to answer the prayers of so many equally desperate families.
Please, please do not go into ABA thinking it will work miracles. You will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into a world of hope.., 18 Nov 2003
By A Customer
On receipt of this book I sat down and didn't stop reading until the end - I found myself laughing and crying as parts of the story struck a harsh reality. Whether this topic has personal implications on an area of your life or you just enjoy a moving story then you won't be dissapointed. I have just begun fighting for people to recognise the delay in my two year olds development and this book has renewed my belief in demanding the treatment that he deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book FIRST!, 17 April 2005
I have a son who is 4 years and although not diagnosed yet I believe to be autistic.I have read so many books on this subject but this is the best so far.It gives you clear guidance on how Catherine Maurice 'rescued' her children describing both the triumphs and set backs making it the most realistic and helpful book I've read.
Thank you Catherine Maurice for giving me hope,advice and the tools to help my child CONSTRUCTIVELY!
I just wish our Health and Educational Professionals would read it too as they are decades behind the times with both help and information and anyone who knows anything about autism knows it should be diagnosed and treated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to encourage a cure

5.0 out of 5 stars a good book after diagnosis, 28 April 2009
Mrs. C. L. Shadbolt (uk) - See all my reviews
My son who is autistic is now 8, in mainstream school and doing very well. when I read this book some years ago I found it to be both comforting and very reasuring with lots of practical help. My son was lucky enough to be in a program very similar to the one in the book and the results are aparent if not achieved with a lot of hard work. This book enables parents to start to help their children if the support is not available for whatever reason. Looking back some years on I would say this was the most important book I read on the subject, and only now apreciate who much is changed all of our lives

5.0 out of 5 stars The best !, 22 Sep 2013
This is the second book that has brought my eyes to tears and I am a beloved bookworm.

The author has really got into the heart of the reader, especially the mothers that have kids with additional needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 25 Jan 2012
Amazing book. So elequently written and so inspiring. A must read especially after getting an ASD diagnosis. Gives hope during dark time and truly inspiring.

Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph Over Autism
Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph Over Autism by Catherine Maurice (Paperback - 18 July 1998)
10.90