Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 February 2003
This is a wonderful book both for the new & experienced witch, even if you are not a witch I think you will find this book very enjoyable.
Rae describes the rituals, self-initiation and trances you can do very thoroughly and clear, the book is written in a series of letter's and you feel as if she is writing to you, I could not put this book down it was so very enjoyable and a book I will read again.
I would especially recommend this book to a new witch or anyone deciding on what pagan path they wish to follow, I would also recommend buying the follow-up to this, 'The Hedge Witches Way'.
Brightest blessings.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2005
This is probably Rae Beth's most well known book. A book written in the form of letters to her students learning the path of hedgewitchcraft.
A lot has been said of Ms Beth in that her path of hedgewitchery is not very far removed from Wicca, this path is in some ways similar to Wicca, just not I feel as strict. This book is not a how to, it is very interesting and anyone wishing to learn more about this path will find so much beneficial from this book. Anyone new to the path will also possibly need another book that goes more in-depth, that said there is so much to learn from this book from the beautiful sabbats and the lovely meditations it is so much more than just letters written to a student.
This is a book every Solitary Witch should read, it was one of the first books I read when I discovered my path, and inspired me immensely. Rae Beth is a wonderful author and writes in a very easy to understand way. She is always very high on my recommended reading list and will continue to be.
on 8 August 2005
There are many books on the subject of the Craft, many of which are aimed at providing an overview for beginners, or explaining what witches do, how they do it and why. Rae manages to write books that are something else entirely - the reader is able to learn just as much as they could from a manual-style book, but from a writer willing to give her personal and unique insights.
This book is written as a series of letters to Rae's apprentices. A beginner could learn alongside the apprentices, as though having Rae as a mentor. For the experienced witch, Rae's work is a refreshing format and we are invited to share her experience and knowledge.
It is a staple of many pagan bookshelves and one of the reasons that solitary witches call themselves hedgewitches at all. If you are reading this because you feel drawn towards an ancient path then I recommend this book to you unreservedly.
on 24 December 2000
This book is gentle, earthy, informative and sincere. The personal; approach makes it very easy to both read and relate to. The step by step buildup of information, tying the content to the moons and seasonal festivals is extremely useful. I read it after many years of Wiccan practice, and I still found something fresh and thought provoking. For an absolute beginner to witchcraft, Hedgewitch is a safe, ethical and inspiring introduction to the Craft.
I was bought this as a gift many years ago and being a Natural Witch it didn't actually appeal to me. I did read it though and have to say it is a well written piece of work that will probably appeal more to Wiccans than Witches as Rae Beth seems to be a bit of stickler for doing 'this the right way' and 'that the right way'. Written in the form of letters to two people seeking to become Initiates it tends to veer off course at times.

There are better books out there for the learner.
on 3 March 2004
This was one of the first books I read on the subject of Witchcraft and the Wiccan year, I still use it as a reference book to remind me as the year goes by how to celebrate each Sabbat and times inbetween. Rae Beth has a very earthy approach to Witchcraft, and I can identify with that. This is cerainly one book that should be on every Witch's book shelf, and if the reader is unable to visit the countyside on a regular basis then this book will make sure that you do!
on 21 April 2001
For beginning witches like myself, this is a fabulous buy. The letters inside are so personal, it seems as if Rae is speaking to you directly. Solitary witchcraft can become an isolated and personal practice (not always bad), and this book reminds us all that there are more of us out there, who although are not part of a coven or organisation, can find support in a rich wiccan community.
on 19 April 2003
In normal circumstances I can't stand collections of "Letters" but this form suits the subject of celebrating the Sabbats beautifully. Rae Beth writes in her customary lyrical style without compromising content.
This is not a manual on witchcraft in the strictest sense and there is emphasis on developing a very personal relationship with the Deities and the turning of the seasons. There are also some very useful meditation techniques.
Rea Beth manages to comunicate the flexibity and spontineity that the Solitary Witch can enjoy and that is an idea that is sometimes lost in other books on witchcraft that spell out rites in minute and uncompromising detail.

This book is interesting to me as it describes the story of Rae Beth's year and we also learn a little about her real students. I would recommend that anyone, including non-pagans, read this. There are lesson here that can be carried over to any celebration.
on 11 August 2000
This book helped me find my feet on the Wiccan path, I can't imagine being without this book now. In some places the words were so stong it made me feel really emotional it was like suddenly finding somebody who just knew what you needed to hear. It is in letter form and you can imagine the letters being sent to you. It encourages free thought on the Wiccan religion which is what we all need, the rituals she includes, she encourages you to adapt to suit yourself which to a solitary witch wondering "Is this right?" when feeling the need to change something, is a great comfort. The only problem is a lack of an index, annoying when you want to go right to something. If you want to set off on this path then really this is the guide book you need.
Blessed Be
on 20 November 1999
You may have already read this review, saying that this is an excellent book for those starting out on the Old Path but for Rae Beth fans to beware. A touch of deja vu is inevitable because this is an alternate printing of her book 'The Wiccan Path'. If you haven't already bought that one, then go for this by all means ... It is very worthwhile having either one in your collection.