5.0 out of 5 stars Target Front, Engage!
I managed to secure a copy of Chieftains that was being sold off by a local library.
It is probably the finest book of its type, far superior to Coyle's 'Team Yankee'.
The armoured engagements are described with a gritty reality that only people who have served in tanks will appreciate.
If you can find a copy, get one and keep it. It...
Published on 23 Mar. 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Chieftains a decent read.
Published 18 months ago by Grumpy

5.0 out of 5 stars Target Front, Engage!, 23 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
If you can find a copy, get one and keep it. It describes so brilliantly a conflict that never was, but what so easily could have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars A British viewpoint of cold war armoured conflict, 5 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
This came out at about the same time as Team Yankee by Harold Coyle and knocks the spots off Coyle's book. The first hand experience of the british Royal Armoured Corps shows through cleanly with the behaviour fo the tank crew and also their attitudes. I think Bob could easily do a better job than Coyle and give the brits a good show in this genre. I recently loaned my copy out to a friend who has managed to lose it and I can't get it replaced!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, let down by lack of proof reading, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this on a whim, and am so glad that I did. An excellent read, truly believable account of war in Europe in the 80's. Speaking as an ex forces bloke, it is so rare to find fictional "on the ground" accounts as written from the lads perspective instead of focusing on officers all the time, and I really enjoyed the gritty realism and rendering of squaddy humour and thinking. However, the Kindle edition is absolutely riddled with spelling mistakes and typing errors, almost every page and sometimes several on each page, to the extent that it spoils a damn good read, and if I could I would take it back and demand a refund. This is in no way a reflection of a truly classic book, but come on Amazon, don't you have proof readers??? This is not the first time I have been disappointed by errors creeping in during transcription, but it is by far the worst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I may be slightly biased on this, being a squaddie in Germany at the time the book is based. So lots of familiar places and references are in there . You can't help but smile when Angie's Bar gets a mention. The story cracks along at a fair pace. The book is very much a product of its time. With some references to kit that never made it into service and always referring to the M1 as the XM1 its old pre service name. But that really is just being picky, Love it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cold war novel, 3 July 2008
Chosroes "sassy" (chingford,london,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
Far superior to team yankee in every way.
You feel you are really there - in the tank.
Brutal and nasty with the steady erosion
of men and constant reforming of diminishing
assets - the best

3.0 out of 5 stars Chieftains a decent read., 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I served in the army and was stationed in Germany in the early '80s, When fiction very nearly became fact. I understand that in the era the story was written, plenty of bits and pieces had to be changed, a lot of which was done to communication at least, I hope so! It was an easy read, nothing to tax the brain, it did make me remember things from my time there. What did bother me were a/ A fair few pages were dedicated to a senior officer (I don't want to add spoilers) But suddenly stops being a character, leaving me asking why would the author abandon him when there was so much more to tell. B/ I won't go into any detail except to say, the ending was a complete cop out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad story., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I was a soldier during the era of the story, serving in Covering Force of 1BR Corps and in a constant state of readyness for the events that the story tells. I therefore had a particular interest in the book - and It wasn't bad! However I was left a little confused by two things; firstly, why an American tank crew needed to come into the story and secondly, the authors authority on the subject. He may well have some military experience of the period and he demontrates some well researched knowledge of certain aspects of armoured warfare. However I think his familiarity with a soldier's daily way off life was a little weak because I spotted some little inaccuracies. And I do wish he had made just a bit more of the British Squadies proven, unique character, guts and especially his sense of humour. After all, a few years later, we switched roles and theatres in an instant and won the Falklands war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic! A real gripping read., 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
This is a book I didn't put down until I finished reading it!! I'm not going to give any of the story away but I can honestly say that this is so close to reality it's almost scarey.
Being a Tank Soldier myself (Though Cavalry not RTR as the guys in the book) it can be quite annoying to read a book that so far from the truth it's almost laughable (especially when there has suppose to have been research) but the aurthor has got it bang on in this case.

Despite it being set in the cold war era I can honestly say, especially from the British side, this was how we did things many years ago(My first tank was a Chieftain). He even gets the 'lingo' us tank soldiers use spot on.
Plenty of action, excellent writing and setting of scenes and brilliant how he covers the war from both sides.
The only complaint I can muster up is that the book was to short! and thats it.

Buy it read it and keep it.....

4.0 out of 5 stars World War 3, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
A short sharp easily digestable book about armoured warfare as it might have happened if the good old cold war had turned hot. Other reviewers seemed shocked at the rather summary ending after building up the characters. - it think it fits nicely with the likelyhood that any European war would likely have turned nuclear and the rather sudden ends a lot of us - and civilisation -would have had. Ah the halcyon days of peace through fear of thermo-nuclear global warfare - where have they gone?

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read, although it now feels historical., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
A good read for anyone into war/action stories but probably just as good a read to those stationed as part of the BAOR in Germany or those involved in the so called Cold War.

Chieftains
Chieftains by Bob Forrest-Webb (Paperback - 25 Feb. 1982)
Used & New from: £29.99