5.0 out of 5 stars Target Front, Engage!
I managed to secure a copy of Chieftains that was being sold off by a local library.
It is probably the finest book of its type, far superior to Coyle's 'Team Yankee'.
The armoured engagements are described with a gritty reality that only people who have served in tanks will appreciate.
If you can find a copy, get one and keep it. It...
Published on 23 Mar. 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Chieftains a decent read.
Published 21 months ago by Grumpy

5.0 out of 5 stars Target Front, Engage!, 23 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
If you can find a copy, get one and keep it. It describes so brilliantly a conflict that never was, but what so easily could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, let down by lack of proof reading, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this on a whim, and am so glad that I did. An excellent read, truly believable account of war in Europe in the 80's. Speaking as an ex forces bloke, it is so rare to find fictional "on the ground" accounts as written from the lads perspective instead of focusing on officers all the time, and I really enjoyed the gritty realism and rendering of squaddy humour and thinking. However, the Kindle edition is absolutely riddled with spelling mistakes and typing errors, almost every page and sometimes several on each page, to the extent that it spoils a damn good read, and if I could I would take it back and demand a refund. This is in no way a reflection of a truly classic book, but come on Amazon, don't you have proof readers??? This is not the first time I have been disappointed by errors creeping in during transcription, but it is by far the worst.

5.0 out of 5 stars A British viewpoint of cold war armoured conflict, 5 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
This came out at about the same time as Team Yankee by Harold Coyle and knocks the spots off Coyle's book. The first hand experience of the british Royal Armoured Corps shows through cleanly with the behaviour fo the tank crew and also their attitudes. I think Bob could easily do a better job than Coyle and give the brits a good show in this genre. I recently loaned my copy out to a friend who has managed to lose it and I can't get it replaced!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I may be slightly biased on this, being a squaddie in Germany at the time the book is based. So lots of familiar places and references are in there . You can't help but smile when Angie's Bar gets a mention. The story cracks along at a fair pace. The book is very much a product of its time. With some references to kit that never made it into service and always referring to the M1 as the XM1 its old pre service name. But that really is just being picky, Love it .

3.0 out of 5 stars Chieftains a decent read., 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I served in the army and was stationed in Germany in the early '80s, When fiction very nearly became fact. I understand that in the era the story was written, plenty of bits and pieces had to be changed, a lot of which was done to communication at least, I hope so! It was an easy read, nothing to tax the brain, it did make me remember things from my time there. What did bother me were a/ A fair few pages were dedicated to a senior officer (I don't want to add spoilers) But suddenly stops being a character, leaving me asking why would the author abandon him when there was so much more to tell. B/ I won't go into any detail except to say, the ending was a complete cop out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cold war novel, 3 July 2008
Chosroes "sassy" (chingford,london,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chieftains (Paperback)
Far superior to team yankee in every way.
You feel you are really there - in the tank.
Brutal and nasty with the steady erosion
of men and constant reforming of diminishing
assets - the best

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad story., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I was a soldier during the era of the story, serving in Covering Force of 1BR Corps and in a constant state of readyness for the events that the story tells. I therefore had a particular interest in the book - and It wasn't bad! However I was left a little confused by two things; firstly, why an American tank crew needed to come into the story and secondly, the authors authority on the subject. He may well have some military experience of the period and he demontrates some well researched knowledge of certain aspects of armoured warfare. However I think his familiarity with a soldier's daily way off life was a little weak because I spotted some little inaccuracies. And I do wish he had made just a bit more of the British Squadies proven, unique character, guts and especially his sense of humour. After all, a few years later, we switched roles and theatres in an instant and won the Falklands war.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping chieftans, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on kindle purely as a bit of a holiday read.
all i can say is that this is one of the best books i have read for a long long time.
based around the cold war going hot, it sums up exactly what would have happend.
i was so ingrossed in this book that i was shocked to find it come to an end.

as an ex soldier it brought back a lot of memories for me and made me laugh out loud at the ever unchanging humour and steadfastness of the british soldier.

i dont ever write reviews about books ive read but for this one i was willing to make an exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars WW3 as it used to be, 11 May 2013
S. G. Galbraith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
I bought an original softback printing of this book many years ago (from Amazon actually), and im glad I did because its an underappreciated classic in my humble opinion. We tend to forget now how dangerous the Cold War could have been, and this novel is a superb vignette of the perceived threat, and also that increasingly under-appreciated warhorse, the Main Battle Tank.

There are technical inaccuracies. For example, its clear the author wrote the book when the M1 (XM1 its called here) was still being developed, and it has capabilities described it never had in reality. Also inside the Chieftain itself we have descriptions of various systems the Chieftain didn't have, or at least, operate the way it is said (The 50 cal was NOT a coax, it was a ranging weapon). But these are minor things. What the novel is about is what it would be like for the men of the tanks to fight WW3. And its increasingly clear as the novel goes on that they are dwarfed by the scale of the war they are fighting, and the fire-power employed against them. Webb I read somewhere actually went on an exercise with the Crew of a Chieftain, and whilst some of the technical details could be tidied up, he clearly did a good job of describing a tank crew. They ring true.

Im not sure its wise to compare to Team Yankee. Coyle based his novel on a Fort Irwin deployment, as a means of describing how tanks are employed, its never really been bettered. But in many ways its sketched in the people doing the fighting. There are few characters sketched in with the sympathy you will find of the crew of the Chieftain in this novel. Thats not to sell the former novel short, they both concentrate on different descriptions of the fighting. One concentrates on a company at war. The other concentrates on just 2 tanks at war.

What I find convincing is his description of the war, less fully sketched in and more the view from the episcope and whats overheard on the radio. That, and an unforgettable and frankly brave ending, I find this in many ways the most compelling description of how WW3 would have unfolded, even compared to far better selling novels like Hacketts 'Third World War' or Clancy s 'Red Storm Rising'.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars World War 3, 1 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Chieftains (Kindle Edition)
A short sharp easily digestable book about armoured warfare as it might have happened if the good old cold war had turned hot. Other reviewers seemed shocked at the rather summary ending after building up the characters. - it think it fits nicely with the likelyhood that any European war would likely have turned nuclear and the rather sudden ends a lot of us - and civilisation -would have had. Ah the halcyon days of peace through fear of thermo-nuclear global warfare - where have they gone?

Chieftains
Chieftains by Bob Forrest-Webb (Paperback - 25 Feb. 1982)
Used & New from: £18.22