4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and touching, 19 Mar. 2004
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Hardcover)
This is a great book by the author of 84 Charing Cross Road.It's a non-fiction account about a writer (Helene Hanff)who has lived all her adult life in New York and is convinced she knows it like the back of her hand.When she is commissioned to write copy for a book of photographs of the city,she suddenly realises that she actually has never visited the major tourist attractions,so she turns for help to Patsy,a native New Yorker,only to discover that not only has she never visited the Statue of Liberty,she has no idea how to get there!
It's really funny to see these two friends trying to find their way around their home,although I found it very touching when they walk into the lobby of the unfinished World Trade Centre(this was written in 1976) and Helene says,"Welcome to the Twenty-first Century".If you had told her then what terrible tragedy was going to happen to the Apple of her Eye in the Twenty-first Century,she wouldn't have believed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New York - Helene Hanff, 6 April 2009
Apple of My Eye
I recently read the book of 84 Charing Cross Road and also purchased the DVD. This made me interested in Helene Hanff and the stories of New York. When I completed reading this story I felt and knew parts of NY that I never knew existed. The descriptions are good and I felt like I was walking around with both of the people in the book. It was quite sad reading about the twin towers and knowing what happened on 9/11. This is a very interesting book, quite small and easy to read. I would recommend this to anyone planning a trip to New York.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASANT SURPRISE, 22 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Paperback)
A friend asked if i could get this book for her and told me to read it and i fell in love with it. I have never been to New York but feel i have and i want to go back. I felt i was there with her and Patsy and you could almost believe you were as she discribes the scenes so well. It was sad to read about the Twin Towers and know what was instore for them. a great read to take on a trip yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-read with such enjoyment, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Apple Of My Eye (Paperback)
I had lent my copy to someone in the dim and distant past and was spurred on to order on Amazon as friends are booked for a trip to New York next month and I had recommended it. What a delight this book is - even better than I remembered - and what a lovely copy, as new, I received. long before the expected date for free delivery too. Hope they read it.

A really enjoyable read whether you're going to New York or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars a decent read, 3 Mar. 2014
Ms. Fiona Allen "catlover" (edinburgh, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Of My Eye (Paperback)
Much of this book is now obsolete, and has tragically been overtaken by events, but there's a good deal of charm in what there is.
There were things I'd never even heard of, but then there were a couple of notable omissions as well. Helene Hanff's personality comes through every line.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book i love, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Apple Of My Eye (Paperback)
Helene Hanff is one of my favourite authors. I knew she would entertain me & this book didn't disappoint. Helene tells tales of her favourite city - New York.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Apple of My Eye (Hardcover)
good, thanks

Apple Of My Eye
Apple Of My Eye by Helene Hanff (Paperback - 15 July 1982)
Used & New from: £0.01