5.0 out of 5 stars Its simplicity is beautiful
To read this book is to have the experience of realising the obvious truth that you have ignored for so long. It is precise and powerful with a beautiful simplicity.
Nancy Kline has spent fifteen years developing the Thinking Environment™, a model of human behaviour that dramatically improves the way people think, work and live.
The book starts with...
Published on 14 Sep 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful guide with some good practical ideas
My work place is teaching the thinking model across the business, and this Book has been useful in understanding the background.

The only section which lost me was the one where she talk about the differences between men and women. It played on gender stereotypes so much I nearly stop reading completely. If it wasn't for that I would have given it 4 stars.
Published 18 months ago by L_Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Its simplicity is beautiful, 14 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind (Paperback)
The book starts with the simple assumption that everything we do depends for its quality on the thinking we do first and that our thinking depends on the quality of our attention for each other.
The opening section builds on this assertion by setting out ten components of the Thinking Environment™. If you do not read beyond these, you will have had a stimulating exposition of how we can be more effective listeners. But this isn't just another book about how to listen. It is a book about how to give people attention and help them to think, really think, creatively, powerfully and beautifully.
The second section shows how the ten components of the Thinking Environment™ can be applied in a variety of work and personal settings to enable others to think effectively for themselves. The simple assertion is made that, 'The brain that contains the problem probably also contains the solution,' and we are shown how we can help that person seek out the solution.
Perhaps the most powerful aspect of the book is the approach to breaking down negative assumptions that people hold. These assumptions act as barriers to being able to think, and Nancy shows us the power of asking Incisive Questions to shatter those assumptions and free us up to think again.
Nancy also proposes some radical changes to traditional work and societal ethics. The removal of competition from the workplace is one such change. To quote the author directly, 'To compete does not ensure certain excellence. It just ensures comparative success.' Furthermore, she urges us to 'Focus on finding a good idea, not on winning' when we engage is conversation and discussion with others.
Simple, challenging and powerful, I can't wait to put the principles of the Thinking Environment™ into practice. I can't wait to see the difference it makes in others and in my relationships with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do we really listen?, 6 Aug 2005
A colleague introduced me to Nancy Kline'book and I have used it many times as a reference for planning meetings; presentations and marketing.
The way the sections and chapters of the book is laid out is easy on the eyes and mind. Sensible relevant titles to each chapter with personal anecdotes; thoughts etc that help you retain the information for future use.
As you recall your own frustrations about people who managed/supervised your work - you find encouragement in the form of well fomatted - bullet point text. It presented me with guidance that has radically altered the relationship I have with people at home and at work.
I use her book as a reference when I am planning meetings; Presentations; projects etc
Unusually I have re-read the introduction on several occasions - it is so interesting and informative.
A colleague introduced me to this book and I have not looked back.
I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who thinks they listen to others and can't understand why every day they face problems in the workplace and at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars An experimenter of the thinking enviroment, 19 April 2004
After having read Time To Think I couldn't wait to experiment it.
I tried to have a Thinking Session with my husband following the book's instructions. We didn't get the results we expected so I emailed to Time To Think Inc. asking for a consultant to do a Thinking Session. We did it and it was a deep experience for me.
I felt deeply heard first time in my life; time didn't existed while I was talking/thinking about my problem. Anne - the consultant- asked me the Incisive Question and in that moment my thinking was so deep I could heard my answer coming out from my body and I knew with no doubt it was the right answer/solution for me in this moment of my life.
Even it may sound silly I have to say that, because I found my own answer to my dificult problem, I feel more confidence.
Before this experience I thought the sessións where expensive.I was not sure if would work for me but after have seen the results I feel grateful to Nancy and her team. The Thinking Sessions really work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 8 Jun 2013
Good book if you're interested in learning more about how to use listening skills in groups and linked to mentoring/coaching. Book was definetely in good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 May 2013
Clare (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I train people in soft skills - team dynamics, assertiveness, negotiation, listening skills. And although I know the principles, the way Nancy Kline puts this together actually gets you to think how you put it into practice easily. It's had a huge effect on my thinking and conversation. Can't recommend it enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Execellent, 1 Mar 2013
Like the book says' most people think they listen well. but they rarely do - not at the level. Listening this way is a radical act.

highly recmomend to all coaches out there, perfect tool to use and practice

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful guide with some good practical ideas, 22 Jan 2013
L_Jay (London, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars we should all know this!!, 29 Aug 2011
I have enjoyed reading the book, but keep thinking that it's the kind of common sense that is not so common any more! We live our lives at such a frenetic pace, taking time to think, or listen, or give someone else your entire focus are forgotten and rarely practiced skills. Nancy Kline reminds us of the simple power of really listening to someone and giving them your focussed attention.
The book is easy to read, but actually over complicates what we should know how to do naturally. A valuable message extended over 200 pages!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most stimulating books I have ever read, 8 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in personal development, relationships or group dynamics. After I read it I went out and found myself a thinking partner who I now meet with once a week on the phone. This has proved to be an incredibly productive commitment for both of us. If you try the methods Nancy Kline recommends you will be amazed both at your own thinking and other people's!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is full of wisdom and practical advice., 26 Feb 2000
By A Customer
I have previously read Nancy Kline's "Women and Power" which I enjoyed very much. I was intrigued to see how Nancy had progressed her thinking on listening and also to discover just how powerful listening can be in helping others.
I've practiced the technique Nancy describes in her book, and I've tried teaching some of it to others in my workplace. The results are very interesting. I've had so many "thank yous" from people - for giving them the space to speak and think whilst I'm listening to them. I've also realised just how much I appreciate others listening to me in a way that allows me to think. I'm just about to buy a few more copies to give to my friends and colleagues! I highly recommend this book as an inspiring read.

Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind by Nancy Kline (Paperback - 5 Sep 2002)
8.79