on 12 June 2013
Pembroke has been ruminating about food since his first lollipop and his lifelong passion has produced a fount of info and humour. I never knew history could be this much fun. Why don't we always look at life, culture and class from the kitchen? Should be required reading for schools. Brilliant!
on 28 May 2013
Growing Up in Restaurants is one of those rare books; funny yet informative. James Pembroke writes a candid and hilarious account of his strange upbringing in the 70's frequenting resturants with his dysfuntional family. He also tells us the history of eating out in Britain from Roman times until now. He is adamantly anti-foodie saying that restaurants have now become churches. He urges us to go out and have fun while we eat. A great read.
on 15 June 2016
I'd assumed the author had actually grown up in a family that ran restaurants, not that they ate out a lot because his mother wasn't keen on cooking! While I could reminisce at stories of meals 30-40 years ago, I found the over elaborate details of food from centuries ago too distracting. Wish I could say I laughed out loud....only managed a few smiles.
on 28 May 2013
I loved reading this book, I just couldn't put it down!! It was very entertaining and I especially enjoyed the childhood memoirs.
on 10 July 2013
Few authors have that rare talent of being able to engage their readers so as to have them inside your head. This is a simply a brilliantly researched, highly entertaining book. Did you know that "diet" means "way of life"....?
on 16 August 2013
havent finished reading it, but so far its good, interesting, and thoughtful. the delivery was good, prompt. would recommend to someone interested in food / restaurants.