on 3 October 2011
This is a riveting read. It is unpretentious, realistic and gritty. Mackenzie Smith has managed to write an exhilarating SAS novel whilst maintaining a down-to-earth, no-nonsense tone. He has produced a highly believable plot and well defined characters you can identify with. I also found the (not excessive) detail about the guns, technology and tactics fascinating. Mackenzie Smith depicts the pain, discomfort and horrors that SAS soldiers confront so well you really feel you can get inside their skin. The pace of the novel is perfect; you are thrown in at the deep end straightaway and the novel builds pace to its satisfying conclusion. Perfect book for the lads... and girls like me, who like a good action thriller.
on 25 August 2011
I was expecting another Andy McNab or Chris Ryan, 'Who pays the piper' moves the genre on. A fast paced plot that is full of detail and emotions. If you like military adventure you will love this book. Half way through I started to wonder if I should take the 'fiction disclaimers' with a pinch of salt! The unexpected twists makes it even more compelling. It's original and refreshing. Well recommended
on 1 September 2011
This book is one of the most exciting and thrilling novels, not just of it's own genre. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a fast, exciting and action packed read. I look forward to the sequel.
on 5 December 2011
I read a lot of military / adventure books, both fiction and non-fiction. This is the most enjoyable read I have come across in a fair while, and I finished the whole thing in a day - I couldn't put it down. Also contains a couple of the most toe curling scenes I have come across in a book for a very long time. Excellent stuff, highly recommended.
on 24 September 2011
This is an excellent first novel by Mackenzie Smith, which is action packed from the start. Its an exciting plot with a twist which kept me interested from the start. Once picked up the book is hard to put down as it builds towards a nail biting climax. Highly recommended
on 8 October 2011
One of the best books I have read in years. Unpredictable and exciting from start to finish with plenty of twists and surprises. One of those books you hate to end. I am looking forward to the follow up from Mackenzie Smith...
on 9 February 2012
This book is one of the best I have ever read. And yes, it will keep you on your toes to the very end. Make a flask and sit back, you will love it.

Now an important bit here. Please don't go on this authors' website. I went on the other day, and picked up a Trogan that stopped my computer, It cost me a load of cash to get it up and running again. I don't blame the author for this, as the Trojan came from Russia, and is linked to his website..Hope this helps you.

To be fair to Mackenzie Smith. The man answered my comment about the Trojan. I don't want to keep on about this, as it's about the book not the website. But Mackenzie is doing all he can to fix the problem. So not only is the book still the best I have read on this subject, but also this author is a great guy. Plenty of them wouldn't have had the time to spend on a customer. My thanks to this man. And I can't wait to be reading the next one, As there is going to be one. If I could have given this book 100 stars, I would have....
BUY IT... Not a waste of time.......
on 17 October 2011
I am a total fan of the British military genre and loved this - totally absorbed from the beginning and will recommend it to everyone.
on 4 September 2011
Unputdownable! Gritty and exciting with a plot that constantly surprises with unexpected twists and turns. I can't wait to go to bed each night so that I can get back to reading it and I have to force myself to turn out the light when it gets too late! A really, really exciting book from a new author. If you're thinking of getting "Who Pays The Piper" all I can say is buy it - you won't be disappointed.
on 1 September 2011
This book throws you straight in at the deep end with full on action from start to finish. With unexpected twists and turns to the plot it makes a thrilling read! Is this really his first novel?

Well done Mr Smith.