5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Unforgettable,Brilliant.
Published on 15 Mar. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Janet frame
Found it boring The author is very self absorbed and therefore difficult to engage with. It gets better as it goes on
Published 14 months ago by sandscape

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Unforgettable,Brilliant., 15 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Janet Frame: Complete Autobiography (Hardcover)
The film "Angel at my table" was my first introduction to Janet Frame's work. It was in the early nineties and it had a profound effect on me. Early last year I read the review of Janet Frame's complete Autobiography & I immediately wanted to read it. I finally was able to buy it a few months ago & found it a privilege to be able to read such a personal account of Janet Frame's life. The honesty which Janet displays & sharing life experiences was striking. It is an inspiration & a joy to read, especially the intelligent way it is written. The reference to poetry is hypnotic, the book itself is poetic. I feel many people will be able to relate to this book because it strikes a chord somewhere in the book for almost anyone.
In conclusion, Janet Frame's "Complete Autobiography" is INSPIRING, UNFORGETTABLE and a BRILLIANT READ. I am looking forward to reading her complete collection of books published.

5.0 out of 5 stars One full blooded roar of autobiography, 25 Dec. 2013
Michael Holroyd called this one of the greatest autobiographies written in the 20th century. No argument concerning that. Janet Frame born in Dunedin in 1924 died in 2004 is acknowledged in New Zealand as one of their greatest writers. Outside of New Zealand her reputation amongst writers is high but she is not as well known as she deserves to be. Those who saw the film "An Angel at My Table" with Kerry Fox playing Janet Frame will have an inkling of the strength of Janet Frame to forge her life into a literary output against the odds. Her novels in particular can be a struggle but the power of the woman is up there with writers such as Doris Lessing. This three part autobiography captures her uncompromising spirit, her love of words, her relentless drive to make sense of a world she felt she was an outsider to, until she established her own place from which to pour out her writing. It is a mesmerising journey and one which gives heart to us, the reader. I am immensely grateful I lived in a time when I was exposed to this brave and courageous woman's work and that it meant something to me, enough to continue to read and enjoy her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars and finds a solution that does her as much harm as good. I am half way through the last volume ..., 3 Jan. 2015
This autobiograpy merits a full fledged review. It quiet qualities belie the trauma she has had to deal with. She offers up so many appropriate pieces of poetry that a non poetry oriented person feels inclined to read more from the various authors. She makes poetry live. I am sure reading this book is the catalyst behind me writing my first song lyrics. She is feckless and a often even in her own territory a "Stranger in a strange land". She questions, and finds a solution that does her as much harm as good. I am half way through the last volume and I have finally grasped the image of the 'Mirror City' as she calls the territory writers slip into when writing, which often is akin to Alice slipping behind the looking glass. What to chase, how to place? I pulled out a map of New Zealand to follow her travels and put a bit of context to what she has experienced. I was thrilled to have experienced the London perplexities, me as well being from a former English Colony and lost in London. Just a fine book and widening of our experience of what life has to offer. I balanced the lyrical quality of this book with the harsh boiled male narrative of her contemporary, Donleavy's Ginger Man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Janet frame, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Janet Frame: Complete Autobiography (Hardcover)

Janet Frame: Complete Autobiography
Janet Frame: Complete Autobiography by Janet Frame (Hardcover - 1 Feb. 1998)
Used & New from: £4.93