on 10 November 2013
I have really enjoyed this book. I have read it twice now and it doesn't get boring. I like the end notes!
on 17 February 2016
Amazing novel. This is a book that will stay with me forever. Powerful, inspiring, and visionary.
on 11 January 2016
Excellent book. As relevant today as when it was first published.
on 15 March 2008
When I started reading Woman on the Edge of Time, I had forgotten that it was supposed to be sci-fi and I was really rather disappointed to be reading about the depressing plight of a socially and economically disadvantage woman caught in an insane asylum, seemingly innocent (at least this time). As Luciente started appearing and slowly coaxed her into her future world, however, I became much more interested.

Initially, the future world that Marge Piercy paints is at odds with our - and indeed Connie's - vision of the future. Instead of gleaming towers and hovercars, Luciente and her "mems" live in squat mud huts and seem to be farmers, "peasants" in Connie's disappointed words. Nevertheless, I'd contend that this future world is not wholly original, especially when considering that this novel was written in 1976. At the time, there were many who considered an agrarian, communal life with ultimate respect for the individual utopia.

Into this utopia enters the world of the "multies" - those who have not adopted the idyllic peacefulness of communities like Mattapoisett. For sure (or "fasure" as Luciente would say), this heavily contrasted world is an extrapolation of the readers' own and a warning of what we may become if we don't change our ways and become a little bit more like Luciente and her "sweetfriends".

While these thoughts are typical of the 1970s, they are not entirely unmodern and, throughout the book, I never felt as if I was reading a book as old as I am! Connie's present and Luciente's future seem equally fresh and relevant in today's world. For example, mobile phones and the internet aren't noticeably absent (and in the future the "kenner" is like portable, talking Wikipedia).

The only lingering doubt that the book leaves me with is this: is the future experienced by Connie real or is it all a figment of her, clinically diagnosed schizophrenia?
on 10 May 2013
I had to read this for a university module, and if I'd not needed to read it for my course then I don't think I would have bothered persevering until the end. This is because the book is not only very long but also didactic. The book was written in the 70s and attempts to create a utopia where gender-divisions do not matter and everyone is equal. Piercy is therefore writing in response to the Women's Liberation Movement. However, while I agree as a feminist with many of the principles Piercy tells not shows. Rather than letting the reader come to their own conclusion, she preaches. I wanted to regard this book with sympathy with it being written by a female author who was trying to get women rights I now take for granted. However, there is only so much political dogma and agenda one can take in the course of an evening. It is true: you CAN have too much of a good thing.
on 13 October 2010
Woman on the edge of Time is an excellent read. Well written it compels the reader to turn the page. A thought provoking glimpse of human nature.
on 27 March 2016