on 20 January 2002
Flannery O'Connor uses language deliciously to describe and lambast the foibles of the human race. A superlative short story collection that begs to be read and read and read again. She is wicked and funny and hits the nail on the head every time. If you like Faulkner and McCullers, you will love O'Connor.
on 15 March 2010
This book was recommended for our book group, and it had a mixed reception! Don't read all the stories at one sitting, they are quite disturbing. Flannery O'Connor is an amazing writer who observes people and their fears and foibles very shrewdly. The title story is a classic - real American gothic; bit like watching 'Casualty' where you just know that the calm scene at the beginning will end badly! She is also very funny, but some of our group did find her depressing - "all these people in the stories are so horrible!". But hey, it's fiction and I am really glad I read her.
on 31 December 2014
So dark. I liked it a lot.
I was irked by it too though. You know how every horror movie has that chick that goes towards the guy with the knife? This story was like that in a sense. I just wanted to scream, 'Don't!!'.
Still it was a very short but very wicked thriller.
on 17 November 2014
I will be buying this book as a Christmas present for all the members of my extended family! Wherever you are, you have an excellent reccommendation.
on 18 March 2013
This is Flannery O'Connor's best work. It also happens to be a collection of the most wonderful short stories you could hope to read.
on 1 January 2015
good book
on 30 November 1999
I thought this was a well written book. The way she used her instrument are a brutal irony, a slam-bang humor and a style of writing as balefully direct as a deathe sentence. The displaced person, the story of an outsider who desstroys the balance of life between blacks and whites on a small southern farm, has been adapted into a powerful drama for television.