on 2 June 2010
For cardiovascular physiology this textbook is the be-all and end-all. It's a fantastically concise yet sufficiently detailed alternative to other chunky specialist cardiovascular texts like Hurst's and Katz. Carefully chosen further reading articles at the end of each chapter provide a kick-start for more specialist study too.

What's also great is that it integrates easy-to-find boxes of case studies for all the common cardiovascular conditions that are perfectly placed in parallel with the physiological info. The accompanying illustrations are vital for studying these case studies and the relevant physiology too. They include histological slides, biochemical/homeostatic pathways and anatomical diagrams, all of which are sizeable and neatly placed within the relevant section for easy reference.

This text is very well designed so that cardiology clinical students don't lose direction while studying the physiology they need while the preclinical students don't have to get bogged down in the clinical substance. Personally, I didn't need any textbook for my cardiovascular course other than this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 9 May 2012
Delivery - Seller was great. Brand new book, came in a padded envelope. Not a scratch . 5/5.

Content - at first I was flipping through the pages and I thought 'oh my god this is terrible!!! Another book full of words and unnecessarily length explanations!!', so I put it aside and thought maybe I should submit an 1-star review of this book sometime. But then two days ago I started revising for the cardiovascular system and I took this book out again and started reading. This time - what an amazing book!!! Good explanations throughout, interesting to read (lots of fun facts), and excellent case study questions resembling exactly those you get in your exams!!! Compared to the 'at a glance' series, which I find well presented but often lack of sound explanation of important concepts. Seriously, you read this book front to back, and that's you done for the exams!!

Other points - Alan Thomas is a lecturer at Southampton, so for Southampton medics - go buy this bloody book because it is written by someone who writes your exam papers also!!

Overall - If i could give it 10 stars I will. Just simply excellent. Well done to the authors.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again