4.0 out of 5 stars Painful but neccesary
My background was GCSE physics and I was apprehensive about the physics component of the First FRCR, which pushed me to tackle this book early on. Farr's is packed with information, and on the first, second and even third read it still felt alien. It's not written particularly well and assumes a level of pre-requisite knowledge too high for doctors.

I started...
Published 15 months ago by Lonrad

3.0 out of 5 stars No other alternative, don't buy, borrow
Published on 3 Aug 2010 by xrayman

3.0 out of 5 stars No other alternative, don't buy, borrow, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
This book is awfully written.I really hated revising from this book. A jumble of equations mid sentence and very hard to read.Don't be fooled by its size its a hard read. It took me almost 30 mins to read 4 pages and attempt to understand. The sections on CT, PET, SPECT and USS are poor (does not have enough detail for the exam) MR section also far too complicated. Too short on USS safety, the exam questions are much more detailed.

For MRI I would highly recomnend.
MRI at a glance, well written and easy to follow. It has all you need for exam for MR.This author should write a physics for FRCR book.
Physics for diagnostic imaging by Dowsett et al, is very good, good explanations but expensive.

Having said all that there is no real cheap alternative. I would recommend borrowing Dowsett form the library. Borrow Farrs from someone from the year above..almost guranteed they will have it, this book is not a keeper for future reference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor but sadly no alternative, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
In my opinion this is a very poorly written book which unfortunately became the main reference for trainees prepararing for the FRCR Part 1 examination. I guess this is not because of its merits, but rather due to the fact that the rest of the titles (e.g. Christensen or Hendee) are now largely outdated, and do not contain UK-specific information. While x-ray imaging is covered fairly well (after all not much changes in this field), the quality of chapters on CT, and especially on the modalities introduced to the exam in 2008 (US and MRI) is pathetic. The layout of some chapters is peculiar (e.g. the chapter on US begins with a description of piezoelectric crystal, while most authors would probably begin from the basics on ultrasound itself), and language is generally archaic and convoluted. But most importantly the content is lacking in many aspects. Ultrasound contrast media are covered on a quarter of a page. The same applies to to 3D ultrasound, THI etc. Chapter on MRI begins quite well but after describing the spin echo sequence the author seems to run out of steam, and barely scratches the surface of the remaining topics. GRE, DWI, angiography, fMRI, spectroscopy together occupy just a few pages. This is not enough. Modality-specific titles come to rescue, but before the exam there is little time to go through them.

A new modern title or a serious update of this title is desperately needed!
Until then this book will continue selling as there is no other alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is no good, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
I am usually not so critical in life but have made an exception in the case of this book. The authors need to understand that they are writing the book for doctors who had left the subject of Physics quite a few years ago. What doctors would need is a book which introduces the topics gently and then builds up the facts gradually. At least I would have preferred a Physics book to do that. The authors have done exactly the opposite.

I don't know what audience the authors had in mind but generally speaking the book probably is suitable for someone who is already 'mature' in terms of the technical knowledge. Why couldn't the authors make things a bit simpler to understand ? I am anguished and frustrated because my FRCR part 1 is 4 months away and I have nothing better to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful but neccesary, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)

I started revising about 6 months before the exam. The key to cracking this book and indeed the physics exam is perseverance. Read the chapters again and again until things start sticking. I found highlighting and annotating the book very useful. Start a study group with other ST1's sitting the exam in your training programme and discuss topics thoroughly. If you don't understand something look elsewhere for a simpler explanation to allow you to understand it.

The royal college does not recognise Farr's as an official text, and some chapters (namely MRI and ultrasound) are lacking and difficult to understand, for these topics consider MRI at a glance, some of the radiographic tutorials and RITI modules (some exam questions were lifted directly from RITI). Finally do lots and lots of practice MCQ's. I passed physics at the first sitting and I could not have done it without Farr's - start early and make sure you know it inside out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite & essential textbook, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
"The farr" book for Primary FRCR physic module was very well known and told to be essential,i heard of long time.
As a consultant cardiologist with imaging background preparing for FRCR, I must say it was not easy for me to read this book(despite with background of GCE A LEVEL-both physics and further maths, A).
You need to be very persevere, keep on reading for at least 3-4times.
The tips of using this book are, you must pay attention to all details between lines,phrases etc-all could be used as question stems in mcqs, in short you need to read page to page.
After reading for 1-2times, start to do mcqs side by side with farr's chapters.
By repeating the above sequences you will realise how amazing this small little book is!
The whole book is full of relevant info s and quite brilliantly written, i must say.
To be able to pass the physic module confidently, you may need other reference book to help you to grab the basic concepts not mentioned in farr,more to that ,the MRI and U/S is relatively much lacking in basic concepts and inadequate infos for better understanding.
In conclusion,you will need this book to pass, it was very nicely written and definitely an amazing book to read for part 1, provided you have that much of patience to see it through!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
This book is rubbish! wouldn't bother even reading it for FRCR exam. Info in it is not structured well, chaos! As a book itself it is ok, but not for FRCR revision!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please stop selling this book, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
This book is absolutely awful and made revision for the FRCR part 1 an absolute nightmare...authors use very roundabout and extended ways of saying potentially simple theories which are better explained on wikipedia (free!). Please simplify!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - wish I had bought it sooner but better late than never!, 19 April 2012
Misqué (North West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
I recently bought this book as I'm in my first year studying diagnostic radiography and have had a hard time getting to grips with the physics aspect. I had a read of a chapter online and thought it seemed very comprehensive but written in a language I could understand so I decided to buy it. It has certainly come in handy for an assignment I'm in the process of writing up (which is what made me take another look at the book) and after looking at the content I realised it is also very relevant to another assignment I'm working through which is a bonus! I think it will continue to be of use next year as well in a few of the modules which is great.

I really do like the book and find it easy to navigate and study from. For some reason I find it a bit easier on the eye and therefore feel more inclined to use this book than other similar books I've got, but I must admit they all have their uses. I really do regret not buying it sooner. It is on my reading list but after coming here and reading the negative reviews I opted for other books, which have helped to some extent but this has definitely helped to fill in the gaps. I thought it would purely be of use for the one assignment when I ordered it and maybe come in handy for upcoming exams, but then as I say, I've since realised it will help me in other areas of the course as well so I'm more than pleased. I'm not sure why it has such a poor rating but I would certainly recommend it to others studying radiography because it seems to have it all in there without jumping around all over the place or being a bit too complicated. I should add that I'm a mature student and haven't studied physics in a while, and even when I was studying it at school, physics was pretty much a foreign language to me. If that sounds like you too then you should find this book easy enough to follow as I have done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage of FRCR syllabus but heavy reading., 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
Not the easiest book to read, let alone understanding complex equations. Unfortunately, there isn't any better alternative. Avoid for last minute revision!

4.0 out of 5 stars Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e (Paperback)
Very easy to understand. The book might be a little bit inadequate though for exam purposes as it is too brief on some important chapters - is best used with a larger text book. I would recommend it for revision just before exams.

Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e
Farr's Physics for Medical Imaging, 2e by Jerry Williams MSc FIPEM CSci (Paperback - 25 Oct 2007)