5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best breastfeeding books available today., 20 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Breastfeeding Special Care Babies, 2e (Paperback)
I was first introduced to this book as a student midwife on a placement in an intensive care baby unit. This book has never left my side since and I now list it as essential reading for my students. I wish I could give a copy to every new mum and dad, regardless of whether their baby needs special care services or not. This is one of the few books on breastfeeding that gives practical, evidence-based answers to problems that face many mothers in the early days. I know of mothers that would have given up breastfeeding if it had not been for the support that this book offers. New parents are swamped with books available on breastfeeding (many of which should be burnt in my opinion!)but every professional breastfeeding support worker I have spoken to about this book agrees that this is one of the best on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential, 27 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Breastfeeding Special Care Babies, 2e (Paperback)
I wish there had been a reference copy of this book chained to the wall in the Special Care Unit where my baby was! Reading it then would have made an immeasurable difference to how we coped and reacted with that very difficult time. Reading it now, a few years on, has been both a reassurrance and a vindication.
There are few books that strike such a perfect balance between professionals and parents. This books provides the evidence-based clinical information to influence a professional, while still remembering that a neonate is someone's child. Above all, the author communicates a genuine enthusiasm for breastfeeding, and a need for real support for the mother.
This book will be the first thing to go into my birth bag when I next become pregnant. I don't know if I'll have another pemature baby, but I'm never going through it again without Sandra Lang.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better for proffessionals, 12 Oct 2008
Livvy (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breastfeeding Special Care Babies, 2e (Paperback)
I was given this book by my mum whist struggling to breastfeed and express milk for my premature baby born at 32 weeks. I do think it is a good book for staff and is interesting to read after the event. Whilst in the thick of it, even though I am medically trained I found I was too tired and emotionally drained to get much from it. If you are already convinced breast is best you just need simple instructions and practical help, anything more is too overwhelming. Bliss produce a really good leaflet which I was given on getting home(WOULD HAVE HELPED GREATLY FROM DAY ONE). I have donated the book to my local breastfeeding group so they can better undertand what mothers go through. Bit wordy if you are expressing every 3 hours and you just want to sleep. I would buy this if I knew my baby was likely to be premature to read in advance and agree it is fantastic material for health care workers involved in support of breastfeedng mums.

Breastfeeding Special Care Babies, 2e
Breastfeeding Special Care Babies, 2e by Sandra Lang (Paperback - 27 Mar 2002)
26.49