4.0 out of 5 stars The subtitle - instant Italian inspiration - sums it up
Published 22 months ago by purpleheart

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay a trifle overhyped
My other half likes the style and clear and concise recipes easy to follow minimum of fuss and great results.

I personally think the book is more media centric than foodie centric and a trifle overhyped for what it is.
Published 14 months ago by cm

4.0 out of 5 stars The subtitle - instant Italian inspiration - sums it up, 24 Sep 2012
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This isn't Nigella's best book...that is probably How To Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food (Cookery) or Nigella Christmas or How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking. It isn't her most inventive or her most beautiful book, but if what you want is good looking, delicious, Italian inspired food that you can get to the table quickly - and that will delight your family and friends - then Nigelissima is a good value.

The book kicks off with an introduction where Nigella explains how she learnt to cook Italian food from ''Nonna'' when she worked there as a young chambermaid. However, this is very much a Nigella take on Italian food - as another reviewer says it lacks the precision Italians demand. Nonetheless, the results taste and look good, but if you are a purist then this isn't for you. The book is sectioned into:

Pasta
Flesh Fish and Fowl
Vegetables and sides
Sweet things
An Italian inspired Christmas

My friend and I decided to have a bit of an experimental cooking fest over the weekend and tried out a few of the recipes with her family. I had been cooking from it as soon as my preordered copy arrived. The pancakes with marscapone and ricotta served with rum-steeped strawberries were delicious and light and one of the hits of the weekend, the chocolate olive oil cake was my favourite - rich and dense and somehow not sickly. The puddings are a triumph - the almond and cinnamon cake was also delicious. The monkfish wrapped in rosemary, lemon and Parma ham was tasty and an excellent main course before the pudding glut. I have only tried one pasta dish to date - the yellow spaghetti, which was predictably heart warming - yet I suspect that I will cook a few of these on the autumn nights ahead.

I gave this four stars - it's a beautifully produced book with many serviceable recipes and I'll be back to update this review as I cook more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 2 Oct 2012
I am really enjoying Nigellissima, and love the recipes that I have cooked so far. With her last few books being really big, and spanning the globe as far as inspiration for recipes, it does feel different, if not a little refreshing, to find her in a single focus here. The book is extremely well writtten and photographed and is both a practical manual as well as an inspiring read. Of course it also features Nigella's magic prose and does give you great ideas on making your daily cooking have an intriguing Italian flair.

Of course it's the recipes that really count, and these are fantastic. People can complain all they want about Nigella's TV shows, but the fact is she is probably the best and most useable cookery writer out there. Her recipes and methods always work. More than that, they are doable at home and always feel just the right side of elegant and special. The recipes in this book are no exception, and have been both easy to create, but a wonderful treat for dinner or dessert.

Favorites so far include; Meatzza, Quick Calabrian Lasagna, Yogurt Pot Cake, Tortelloni Minestrone, Iced Berries with White Chocolate and Limoncello Sauce, Tagliata for Two, Tuscan Fries, Italian Roast Chicken, No Churn Chestnut Ice Cream, and the Sicilan "Telephone Chord" Pasta. There are many more that look really tempting and that I can't wait to try.

I think people's expectations may have been different than what was intended here. Many people are complaining that these recipes aren't authentic enough. She goes into great detail to explain that her intent was not to give exactly authentic recipes, but rather, how to use ingridients and ideas from Italy to inspire your cooking. I have read many authentic Italian cookery books, and they have all been great. However, I never cook from them. They either have too many ingridients that we can't get, or are processes that I would never do at home. Nigellissima gives you fantastic recipes, encourages you to find lesser known but still easily sourced ingridients, and allows you to cook and serve wonderful Italian inspired food to your family and freinds.

I think it is a great book and highly reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate and Inspiring!, 13 Sep 2012
I am an unashamed Nigella fan; my desert island cookery book would be "How To Eat"! However, I was sceptical about whether this book would inspire. I love Italian cookery but did I really need a new Italian cookery book? The answer is a resounding yes.
Let's get straight to the food. I love the simplicity of Yellow Spaghetti, beautifully golden due to saffron, marsala and cream. Prawn Pasta Rosa uses Rosato Vermouth to provide a delicate pink blush and sweetness - yes, we will all be buying it this weekend! I am bowled over by the thought of broccoli with lemon and parmesan. Why did I never think of that?!
I have made Iced Berries with White Chocolate sauce before (a Mark Hix recipe) but Nigella has speeded up the sauce-making and added several splashes of limoncello - brilliant! The Italian Christmas Pudding Cake looks very impressive and I know that Tuscan Fries will disappear very quickly in my house. And Liquorice Pudding? Not for me but friends are buying the Italian liquorice pellets, even as I write...
As always, Nigella's passion for cooking and eating is infectious and her recipe notes are like a chat with a friend. There are recipes for confident and less experienced cooks. The food photography is simple but elegant.
I am off to make a batch of Aniseed Shortbread and a Yoghurt Pot Cake; what better to accompany a strong Italian expresso. This book is a complete pleasure...

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay a trifle overhyped, 13 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars nigelliissima, 21 May 2013
a good buy with some excellent simple recipes which are easy to follow and my family have enjoyed on quite a few occassions

4.0 out of 5 stars sucess everytime !!, 20 May 2013
Nikki (brighton, uk) - See all my reviews
Was recommended this book after attending a dinner party where recipes were used, I love it, especially the biscotti recipe which has been more successful than Paul Hollywood's version !

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigellisima, 15 Dec 2012
I bought this book for a Christmas present, but I liked it so much I ordered another one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Nigella won't be my last - love it!, 13 Sep 2012
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Nigellissima was a belated birthday present and not something I'd have chosen for myself however; my initial impression is that it's a nice mix of inspiration and challenge.

The concept for the book is basically Nigella's Italian heritage, her passion for the culture and her love of the whole family "togetherness" ideal. Much of the food is best described as heart warming (steaming bowls of pasta, coffee based sweets, olive oil and gelato) and there's plenty that you'll already be familiar with such as lasagne and spaghetti. Don't be put off if you're not an experienced cook, there are some decent suggestions for family meals that aren't too difficult to follow. We particularly enjoy the "Quick Calabrian Lasagne" as a weekday meal. It's not only easy but relatively cheap to make and extremely tasty.

Not everything's simple. Some of this food is highly complex requiring many ingredients and different processes such as the the liqourice pudding, which I found far too heavy and sweet, however; the Limoncellow White Chocolate Sauce sits well with any ice cream or citrus Pavlova.

If you're not too experienced in the kitchen then it's a good idea to ensure you can source the ingredients "before" you decide to cook. You're going to need a local deli, and/or supermarket, and much of this food doesn't come cheap if you're on a budget. You're also going to need a well stocked kitchen in terms of your pots, pans, gadgets and other utensils for some of the recipes which isn't a negative but; have a look around your kitchen first and make sure you've got everything you need.

As with all good quality cookery books this one is beautifully presented and intelligently written with superb photography. If you're a serious Nigella fan then you'll expect this book to be packed with as much Nigella as food, it's true, she's here in all of her glory but; it suits the concept.

This is my first Nigella cookery book. It won't be my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some lovely original recipes.. but not as good as Kitchen, 28 Sep 2012
As soon as I saw Nigella Lawson was releasing a new book my order was placed, I am a huge fan of her cooking and style, and she is one of the few chefs that I find most of her recipes turn out exactly as they look in the photograph. Maybe I was spoilt by Kitchen, which is my favourite cookery book of all (and I own a LOT), but I found this tome a little thin on the ground. There are too many vegetable recipes that should really be sides and are given full double spreads, and some very plain pasta recipes, almost as if they are padding it out a bit. Quite a few of the meat dishes werent to my taste, but that is just a personal thing I suppose. However, not wanting to sound too negative, there are some fantastic new recipes, the Meatzza is so simple and absolutely off the scale, my husband and daughter are clamouring for it again! The Coffee Ice cream is prepared in minutes and even though its no churn comes out perfectly without crystals. The Banana bread is so good with the addition of espresso powder, however im not sure if theres an omission in the recipe as it calls for plain flour and doesnt add any baking powder? I added a teaspoon just in case and it turned out perfect. Tonight we shall be having the green minestrone with ricotta and spinach tortellini.. salivating at the thought! I also love the individual tiramisus and tuscan fries. All in all, if you are a Nigella fan, it is worth having in your collection, but its not her best work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, 15 Jan 2014
This was a present from my husband.

I have most of Nigellas books and have always found them interesting.

Unfortunately for me this book is not one of my favourites. For me there are no original recipes and I have yet to find inspiration to take on any of the recipes.

Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration by Nigella Lawson (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
9.00