Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 May 2015
Bought this book as a beach read for my wife- and she took it half way around the world to read on holiday, despite it being a brick. I haven't read it but she loved it, and that's good enough for me. End of review thank you.
on 10 March 2013
This was for my daughter who is at central St Martins. I didnt know but the Grace Coddington was at the University doing a lecture and also signing her books. Unfortunatetly my daughter didn't get a book on the day. she knew nothing about my purchase and did not mention it either. When i saw this book i knew she would love it .. she did!
on 13 August 2013
Grace Coddington is no literary genius, nor she pretends to be. Her autobiography is written in a simple and mostly linear style, which among a lot of baroque writing is quite refreshing.

What we get here is the basic tale of a life less than ordinary. However, despite her many remarkable experiences and glamorous environment, Coddington succeeds at the difficult task of sounding down to heart, or at least a lot less of a snob than one would expect. Still, the name-dropping is endless and her admission of never having read a book in her life make her sound slightly conceited (at best). Moreover, her self-confessed dislike for literature casts a very mercenary shadow over this project.

She succeeds at giving enough details about her life, but not so much, as to make you think she is completely self-absorbed. She seems aware of the fact that, having worked with lots of famous people, such as Helmut Newton and David Bailey, the reader wants to know something about them, too. Those expecting juicy gossip about models or Anna Wintour will be disappointed, as Grace is very discreet, although it is clear that she is no doormat and does not like some of her connections.

Many photos and cute drawings illustrate the book and leave the reader wanting for more. On a side note, the fact that Grace likes cats and had some grief with snooty French models, made her win an extra point. Otherwise, I would have given the book 2 stars.

I would recommend only if you watched The September Issue and are interested in fashion and photography. I follow fashion photography and I find Grace's spreads the most remarkable ever, even if the clothes cannot be worn in real life. But they work wonders as images of a fantasy place I would like to inhabit.
on 4 July 2013
I love Luella Bartley's book on 'British birds' and I consider Grace Coddington one of the greatest exponents for this rather special kind of species. Her memoirs are written in a chatty style. Reading it is like overhearing a really interesting talk by the next table at a nice café. Grace Coddington is a decent person, but with a tongue-in-cheek wittiness and quite acerbic reflections on the fashion world and the strange people inhabiting it. Even if her life has been filled with ups and downs and many sad moments Grace Coddington comes through as a sturdy British land girl (albeit very romantic), both feet happily planted deep in whatever piece of earth she decides to stand in, as long as it is fashionable earth of course!

Having lived all my teenage years in a dreary little Swedish town, Vogue was my saviour, and I can relate to Grace's fascination with the world in between the glossy pages. However she has manage to keep herself as a whole and unique person whilst working in this hectic and commercial world. Her sense of fashion and style is her own. Her memoirs reflects this and much more. Even if all is not available in the text that meets your eyes when you're reading this book, it seeps out between the lines. The graciousness and personality of Grace herself.
on 5 April 2013
I, like most, became a grace fan after watching 'the September Issue'. I sat down to read this book on a quiet sunday afternoon and gobbled it up in one sitting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about grace's earlier life as a model in the swinging 60s and her development into the amazing creative she is today. This is not life changing stuff, its a memoir of a life led in the fashion industry and thoroughly enjoyable it is.
on 2 February 2013
Such a beautiful book, the pictures & sketches are so lovely. I'm not very knowledgeable on the names and faces of fashion so I did find it a bit confusing to keep up but it's written so beautifully that it was a joy to read.
on 28 February 2013
This book was really disappointing. Grace's life is so interesting but all of the detail is skimmed over at the expense of name dropping. The book is essentially a role call of photographers, models and celebrities that Grace has met. No substance.
on 1 January 2013
I bought this book because I am Welsh and my mother owned a high class fashion shop for many years and I did the buying for the shop. I was sad to read in this novel that Grace did not really relate to Wales or anything Welsh. It tells the story of fashion from the 60's onwards but, however, is not that easy to follow. It is a narrative with very little emotion or personal anecdotes. I would have liked to have read about how models felt before a big fashion shoot. I have seen "The September Issue" and loved it but that film is far more descriptive and real. This autobiography is a series of events with very little sense of place or character. she is disappointing as a writer but as a fashion editor she is clearly succsessful. If you have a connection with the Fashion industry you will appreciate this book but note I am not saying "Enjoy".
on 4 October 2013
Grace Coddington has, until the release of the film 'The September Issue' been a fascinating anomaly. With the publication of her biography those interested in fashion and its glamorous world can finally know more about the woman who works so closely with Anna Wintour and has created some of the most iconic photos in fashion today.

The illustrations throughout the book are a touching addition from the Welsh girl that went all the way to the top.
on 5 April 2013
This is a delightful memoir of pioneer stylist and fashion editor Grace Coddington (of American Vogue since the late 1980s). It is an easy read with the feeling of a conversation / transcribed interview. It is also a beautiful book object, filled with Coddington's drawings. Images and drawings are clearly her language. She admits to never reading, or having read "one book" in her lifetime. Dyslexic or uninterested, who knows? Still, she has contributed this book to the world's libraries, and it is a moving story of growing up and coming of age in the UK post-WWII, as well as an insight into a long and successful career within the fashion industry. Highly recommended by this fan.