5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly last, possibly best
Canadian writer Alice Munro is the undisputed queen of the short story format and this collection, which the author (approaching 82) hints may be her last, may also be her best.

The stories are all set in familiar Munro territory around Lake Huron and all of them revolve around small incidents in generally modest, some would say ordinary, lives. That is not...
Published 13 months ago by David Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best
Although this collection of 14 short stories helped Alice Munro win the Nobel Prize for literature, and the cover of my edition says `Winner of The Man Booker International Prize', this is misleading. Both awards are recognition for a long history of great writing. And fair enough, who can argue with that? But they don't apply specifically to these latest works, which I...
Published 3 months ago by Phil O'Sofa

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous collection of stories with twists and turns, 21 Oct 2013
Ms. C. Nyman "Cat" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Life (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant book- read through book club. A steady but heart racing exploration into people and their flaws and foibles. A wonderful collection of happening and events....

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dear Life (Hardcover)
I have all Alice Munro's books and read them all at least twice. This is another great collection to be treasured.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our greatest contemporary writers, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dear Life (Kindle Edition)
I await every collection of Munro short stories and am never disappointed. Here is a writer who focuses on small lives and who does so with humanity and humour.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dear Life by Alice Munro, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dear Life (Kindle Edition)
This book was chosen as the book club choice of which I am a member. I found it very difficult to get into, probably because it is a series of short stories but linked in a way I found that I couldn't remember what I had read from the day before and as I was reading it on my Kindle I was constantly looking at the bar at the bottom to see how much I had to endure before the end! Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid. As it was our book club choice I'm not sure how we are even going to discuss it - what is there to say!

2.0 out of 5 stars This won the Nobel Prize for literature?, 2 Nov 2013
L. Macleod (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Life (Paperback)
I eagerly bought this book expecting to be moved to my deepest heart by a short story writer who wins such a prestigeous prize. Instead I find a collection of strangle little life stories that are not at all inspiring - in fact they do not move the soul, the psyche or anything in particular. Munro writes about complex people with complex lives....or aspects of people's lives that are hard to fathom.....that would be the author's skill - to connect the reader to the deepest heart of her subjects even in a few pages. I would expect her to at least bring clarity, understanding or a poignant question to the reader....but no, we are given snapshots in to people's worlds that are vague and disassociated......there is no moment in any of these stories that you think 'that is so interesting/moving/caring/loving/beautiful etc. I believe Munro is a 'fashionable writer' of our age.
Quite empty.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first Munro, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dear Life (Kindle Edition)
Definitely a good author but maybe not the best for my first read of hers, I'm not rushing out to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book!, 18 Sep 2013
Philip Mayo - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dear Life (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful, totally wonderful !! Heart wrenchingly true and looks bewilderingly simple, which it clearly cannot be.
This is a genius at work.
Alice Munro is one of the very best short story writers of all time.
Please read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age shall not wither...., 26 Nov 2012
A. Macpherson "Phoenix" (Kilchoan, Ardnamurchan, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Life (Hardcover)
The joy of being in the company of a wise and grown up woman...succeeds in saying more about being human than half the authors writing today even know. Dear Life is Alice Munro at her best.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you like short stories, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dear Life (Paperback)
Collection of quirky short stories that improves as the book goes along. A few a very clever with interesting twists at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dear Life; not much fun, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. Jonathan Ingrams "screen savour" (Chichester, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Life (Hardcover)
This book was given fantastic write-ups as the Mann Booker prize winner, but I found the stories lacked structure and substance . There were no denouements and I felt quite often unrewarded for my pursuit of the writing..

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa977efa8)

Dear Life
Dear Life by Alice Munro (Hardcover - 15 Nov 2012)
Used & New from: 21.76