on 25 October 2014
Excellent book. Does what it says on the tin
on 30 August 2014
Not quite finished reading this book but I am finding it quite fascinating and will be sorry when I have finished it.

All the others books are waiting to be read so cannot review them.
on 3 December 2015
Excellent book well worth the money !!
on 5 August 2015
Good book. A hassle free purchase.
on 3 November 2014
Excellent read, highly recommended.
on 7 September 2013
I feel like I have been waiting ages for this book to be published, and it was well worth it. This is just the type of history book I like, big, meaty and gloriously well written - you can see the work that has gone into it.
Starting with Owen Tudor instead of Bosworth and finishing with Elizabeth I, I loved how this encompassed the whole family instead of just the major players.
A detailed family tree and notes assist in providing further details. I'm still not a fan of Margaret Beaufort but I do enjoy reading about Margaret and Mary Tudor, Henry VIII's sisters.
A thoroughly good read, I am now going to dig out the book the author wrote on the Grey sisters to read soon. This tome on the Tudors will certainly stay on my bookshelf to be read and enjoyed again in the future.
i think the first review for this book on here is a disgrace - how can you review a book you haven't read and only give 3 stars, I hope the reviewer has the sense to remove it.
on 26 October 2013
I greatly enjoyed this book on the grounds of its research and clarity of its writing. The author's bias is toward the Catholic Church and does understand what motivated the Reformers. However history cannot be written without bias and no one can justify the violence of all parties involved. I warmly commend this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 October 2013
I love all things Tudor and despite having many historical factual books about the Tudors already sitting on my bookshelf, there is always room for one more.

Leanda De Lisle has created a very readable account of this fascinating family and provides the facts in an easy to understand, and very enjoyable manner. The founding of this tumultuous dynasty was fraught with danger and political upheaval, all of which is expertly explored. The story starts in 1437, with the contentious marriage between Owen Tudor and Katherine de Valois, the widow of Henry V, and continues in easily divided sections through the subsequent Tudor reigns of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I, and Elizabeth I. The book also explores the relationships these monarchs had with their Plantagenet and Stuart cousins, which provides a more subtle family portrait rather than a gloomy historical documentary.

Beautifully researched and annotated, the book succeeds in portraying the Tudors as living breathing people, and despite the inherent cruelty of the era, in which they lived; the Tudor family are successfully shown as human beings with faults and foibles, and who were doing the best they could to succeed in a turbulent world.

If you are familiar with the Tudors then this book will not offer up any startling new evidence, but as an aide memoir it works really well, especially if like me you devour Tudor fiction.
on 26 January 2014
A good book highly researched by the author particularly on the rise of Henry the seventh and his highly treacherous mother.
on 28 April 2015