5.0 out of 5 stars A Familiar Story Well Told
Whilst much of the story of the Tudors was well known to me this book provides some fascinating insight and context to the period. would definitely recommend it to others.
Published 8 months ago by M. Chapman

1.0 out of 5 stars Roman Catholic bias
A convent education is the key to this bias. Snide remarks about Anne Boleyn, Bloody Mary and Katherine are depicted as saints! Even Martin Luther is attacked as depressive!
Published 9 months ago by Mr. G.Draper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Familiar Story Well Told, 16 Nov 2013
M. Chapman (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars History that is enthralling, 27 Oct 2013
Heather S "HB" (West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
Very well written historyof the Tudors....based on evidence, story flows along like a historical drama. Strongly recommended for history lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tudor book of this year, 29 Sep 2013
L. Adams "dog lover" (Staffs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tudor: The Family Story (Hardcover)
Brilliant, really brilliant. I've read everything and anything on the Tudors and this is the best this year. Loved it, well written and well researched. A must buy for any Tudor fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent read, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tudor: The Family Story (Hardcover)
The best of the many books I have read about this period. The author gives a lot of fascinating detail about the political situation and possible motivations of those involved. Written in a very accessible way, but obviously extremely well researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW - Tudor, 27 Sep 2013
Rachel (Nepean, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tudor: The Family Story (Hardcover)
5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

WOW .. JUST WOW! I have to admit/proclaim right here and now that am completely fascinated with the Tudor Dynasty. Actually my fascination seems to spreading deeper and deeper into history. When I saw this book available for review I knew I immediately wanted to read it.

Tudor: The Family Story by Leandra de Lisle is a well written history book that spans just before the War of the Roses and ends with the death of the Tudor Dynasty (Elizabeth I to James I). There are complete illustrated charts to follow the family history (let's face it, it can all get very confusing with the repeat of royal names like Henry, Edward, Margaret, Elizabeth, Anne ... etc). Whenever a reference was to be made it was easily outlined with numbers/letters leading the reader to further investigate the source if they choose to.

Leanda de Lise goes about writing this book by approaching it like a huge fairytale (at least this is how I followed it as I do with most of the history I read), but never once leaving me to think it was unbelievable. While she states facts, she provides a vivid picture of dress, deportment, relationships, characters, politics and history that make it easy to follow. Never once was I ever confused reading this book and if you are familiar with medieval history, where the families married cousins and such,and many were addressed by titles that are used over an over again, it can be very confusing indeed.

I am not a historian, but an average woman who loves to read about the past of this world. I am not qualified to dissect this book and express what is right or wrong, pick at the details one by one, scorn, critique and/or debate truth. I am qualified however, to tell you it didn't put me to sleep in the way that many history books do. My attention was captured, I looked forward to my reading time and I felt I walked away once finished, with a little bit more understanding of that era. I am looking forward to reading not just more about this time in history, but to reading another book by this author.

If you are interested in a somewhat lengthy read about The War of the Roses, also known as the cousins war between the Lancaster's and York's, the mystery of the Prince's in the Tower, the fall of Richard III by Henry VII, the reign of Henry VIII and his six wives, England's separation from the church of Rome and the Reign of Edward V, Bloody Mary and the Virgin Queen Elizabeth I, READ THIS BOOK! It covers it all! :)

HAPPY READING! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 15 Jan 2014
This book demonstrates that you don't have to write a trashy historical romance to make history interesting. I thought I knew a good deal about the Tudors, but how wrong I was. DeLisle makes each character vibrantly alive. For the first time, it was easy to grasp the complex family tree. I am reading it slowly (together with the notes) because I don't want it to end. Thank you so much for writing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Vg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for anyone wanting to know more of our history., 28 Jun 2014
This is a fascinating and informative book which is very easy to read.
However, it was impossible to read the family trees which are vital to the understanding of the various relationships, and I resorted to looking on the internet. It is a problem I find with Kindle and I have found problems with other books where there are maps etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tudor: The family story, 5 Jun 2014
I found it very useful and it actually put it all into context and made the Tudor period very understandable

5.0 out of 5 stars A reet good read., 26 May 2014
P T CHEATLE (Portsmouth, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A good read, handy to have the family tree at the beginning of the physical book as it can be hard to follow who was who and when, but the size of the book proved cumbersome so I'm finishing reading it on my kindle. Good descriptive details, although not really sure how much could be fact and how much is literary licence, but all in all it paints a great picture, and is extremely readable. Recommended to Tudor fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tudor: The Family Story
Tudor: The Family Story by Leanda de Lisle (Hardcover - 29 Aug 2013)
20.00