5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly written, pithy and thought provoking - a total joy
Distilling decades of therapeutic work into a slim volume that reads like a collection of short stories, Grosz offers an intriguing insight into contemporary psychoanalysis. A married father-of-four announces that he is thinking of coming out, aged 71, while a woman who has just celebrated her 50th birthday realises a sexy dream that bothered her was about her son...
Published 18 months ago by Sarah Rayner

1.0 out of 5 stars I was married to one of the "examples" in this book
Published 6 months ago by nicholas d d hoare

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly written, pithy and thought provoking - a total joy, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves (Hardcover)

Anger, boredom, self-delusion, lying, being stuck, Grosz even shows how boredom is worth thinking about. He draws not just on his patients, but literature too - Scrooge shows us how we can't live a life without loss, a Herman Melville character reveals how `we all have a cheering voice that says "let us start now, right away"' and an opposing, negative voice that responds "I would prefer not to."'

But the real joy of this book is that all this is done with such a light touch. I'd take issue with the other reviewer who suggests we go and read Freud instead - many who are attracted to this book are unlikely to, and that's the very point. It avoids jargon, and in an era when CBT is frequently hailed as The Answer to mental health problems (it's just about the only therapy one can get on the NHS these days, though it's still a postcode lottery), it's a timely reminder not to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. Don't get me wrong, I think CBT can be invaluable tool, but let's remember looking at our entrenched patterns can help patients who suffer too. To have made complex theories accessible to a mainstream audience is a fine achievement, and to Mr Grosz I'd like to say: THANK YOU.

5.0 out of 5 stars The life analytic, 8 Jan 2013
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
To be honest, I am not a fan of Freudian analysis, regarding CBT as a less fanciful, if blunter tool for quickly fixing unwanted behaviour. However, I am fascinated by what people do, why they do it and how they think. I am pleased to say that the author does not shoehorn established Freudian ideas on to individual cases but is more intent on squirreling out a unique reason, based on the client's personal history, to account for their idiosyncratic behaviour. To me, this reflects more what true psychological analysis should be. The author does not confine himself purely to relating the details of his clients. He also describes an intriguing case he learned about while chatting to somebody on an aeroplane flight, proving that the author delights in the machinations of the human mind to the extent that he takes his work home with him.

Each account is gripping in its own right and each gives an insight into human nature and the sometimes obscure reasons which may cause it. As you read, you will recognise the behaviour of friends, colleagues and loved ones of your own and start pondering just what makes them tick... Whether you are a champion of Freudian psychoanalysis or not, there is plenty to enjoy in this book because the stories are well told and intriguing. Whether you agree with the author's reading of the situation is of course open to debate but nevertheless it will get you thinking, and that cannot be bad. I found this to be an absorbing and entertaining read and one that I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, Jane Austen,Tolstoy and Hello magazine rolled into one.....what a treat, 6 Jan 2013
I loved this book - reading these short stories ( based on sessions between patients and psychoanalyst) is like lifting the curtains on the lives of your friends and neighbours and, yes, even yourself... To this end I have been posting this book through the doors of aforementioned friends in the hope that we can pepper our walks and talks with some of the insights offered by author Stephen Grosz. Have we over-praised our children? Have we invented fantasy escapes from our everyday lives? Does change scare us? And if, like me, you suspect that psychoanalysis might be a bit of a magician's art, you will be won over by the clarity and humility of the writing and the fascinating insights into how psychoanalysts actually work. The great joy of these highly engaging stories is that, unlike reading fiction where you might think, do I really believe a character would have acted like that, or, is this plot really believable, you know these stories are true: how satisfying it is to be presented with a character in crisis only to discover exactly what precipitated the crisis and how resolution might - or might not - be achieved; such a joy! If I was pressed, I would say this book is a meeting of Jane Austen, Tolstoy and Hello magazine. What a treat.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was married to one of the "examples" in this book, 26 Feb 2014
I have read this book.It comes across as a smug,know it all,account of some of his "cases".i won't say which one but one account is of my ex wife who is deeply traumatised by the fact that her "account" is included without prior reference to her.During her "treatment" by the author,every day for 10 ,yes 10 ,years ,she showed absolutely no sign of recovery,but was encouraged and cajoled to continue her daily trudge across London to see him.If like reading a sneaky view of people at a low ebb being taken advantage of by a scheming quack the this is for you.If I was you I would save my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting - I highly recommend, 12 Jan 2013
BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this on my Kindle. Whilst I appreciate that the focus of the book is observations from analysis, I would have liked the book a little better if it had given a bit more information at the end of each chapter (regarding what happened next) which the author did do with the patient who had AIDS - I laughed out loud at the triumph in this patient's comment to his medication ! (and it is to, rather than about his medication!)

However, I do also appreciate that these are real people and as such they are not fictional short stories with neat endings. Additionally, I also know that whilst some patients return to therapy with further problems later in the transit of their lives, some do not and the series of sessions during a current issue is sometimes all that the analyst gets chance to work on/with the patient.

The only chapter I had any concerns about was the one associated with closure. I completely agree that dealing with death does not in any way have neat endings either, but I do sometimes think that with counselling or analysis or any kind of talking therapy, the patient can gain insights into their grief, especially if the person who died was someone with whom the patient had a particularly difficult relationship. Then, as a result of those insights, they are able to find the bereavement process slightly easier.

However, I do think closure is more useful as a concept when people are recovering from serious assaults etc rather than for bereavement so in this respect agree with the author.

I was really glad I had read this book and would recommend it to anyone for the author's insights and honesty - the chapter with his father moved me very deeply. It is one of those few books I've read where I felt I wanted to talk to the author afterwards !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent observations of life as a psychotherapist, 8 May 2013
I read this book cover to cover in 3 days. As a psychotherapist myself, I identified with some of Stephen Grosz's insight and comments, and also learned so much more from this master therapist. This book is of interest to anyone who is interested in not only the human mind, but the human heart and what makes us think, feel and behave in the ways that we do, all in an absorbing, highly readable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the lack of empathy from others, get hold of you., 8 Jan 2013
Zuhamy Colton (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Reading this book has helped me understand me and in turn understand others. This may not happen to you admittedly but, I believe there would be a few readers that do change as a result of reading it. I hope that is you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars or one star?, 6 April 2013
Ruffi (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Looking through the numerous and wide ranging reviews this book has already attracted, if you are still considering whether or not to buy it you might find the following explanation useful.

If you buy this book for the wrong reasons you won't get much out of it, and that might help explain the 1-3 star reviews. For example, if you think you are going to get just over 30 sessions (the number of chapters in this book) of psychotherapy on the cheap (the price of this book), think again. Being a fly on the wall during an intimate session between patient and psychotherapist isn't how psychotherapy works.

Nor is there any value in reading it as though this was an exercise in `spot-the ball'. For example, as you read each Chapter you may start to identify with a few of its symptoms or circumstances. You say to yourself `oh, I suffer from that', or `I'm a bit like that'. Well don't think you will find the answer to your problems by the end of the chapter.

But if you buy this book for the right reasons, expect to get a great deal out of Grosz's distillation of some 50,000 hours of conversation in his consulting room over a period of the last twenty-five years, covering a wide range of topics including: telling lies, loving, changing, and leaving. This might help to explain the numerous 4-5 star reviews.

The main benefit of the book lies in his prompting questions, and a few of the generalised lessons he draws out for himself. For example, ask yourself `what haunts you?' after reading his chapter on `How lovesickness keeps us from love.'

Grosz argues that effective desire to change our lives does not come about from fear or other negative emotions, but rather from things that haunt us. For example, we might be frightened of gaining weight, but that alone is unlikely to cause us to change our diet. "Haunting is different." he argues. It makes us feel alive to some fact about the world, or more likely about ourselves, or something we've experienced in the past that we're trying our best now and in future to avoid.

Each chapter is a narrative, sometimes focussing on one individual, sometimes a composite of his clients. In some cases, for example `A passion for ignorance', it reads like a fictional and fascinating short story during which you have to pinch yourself to remember it's based on fact.

The narrative style is deliberate as Grosz want to emphasise his view that we are all storytellers because we want to make sense of our lives in the stories we tell.Understanding ourselves by storytelling is one thing, but it soon becomes clear to the reader how important it is to be listened to (not merely being heard), i.e. being understood.

In his introduction, he sums the book up succinctly by a reference to the philosopher Simone Weil. She describes two prisoners in adjoining cells who learn to talk to each other over a very long period of time by tapping on the wall that divides them. The wall that separates them is also the wall that facilitates their communication. This book is about that wall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moved to tears, 25 May 2013
Victoria Field "fal" (Canterbury, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I echo everything the other positive reviews say about the worth of this book - its elegant style, gripping stories, humble non-judgemental insights into other human beings. I was touched though by the generosity of someone who has spent thousands of hours listening to others, being spat at, lied to, bored, frustrated ... There are windows into Stephen Grosz's life through his account of taking his father to Hungary and the way he relates, via a dream, his own son's illness to that of a young patient who wouldn't be treated for HIV. These made me want to read a companion volume - yet to be written - where SG interrogates his own patterns that led him to becoming a psychoanalyst - he touches on this with his father - and how he feels about the fleetingness of it all. Or is this all my projection? The bit that moved me to tears was the final two paragraphs where he describes a desire to 'say one more thing' to previous patients who are now 'gone or dead' and the fear 'too could disappear into the earth'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight read does not live up to promise of title, 7 Mar 2013
Case studies and biographical accounts can be rich reading experiences but this compendium of short selections was very disappointing. The accounts are too short and the anonymised characterisations too generic to amount to much beyond a series of anecdotes. Searching analysis and interpretation is not what you will find here. The sections hardly amount to 'examined lives' and this is an easy and undemanding (also superficial and unsatisfying) read for the most part.

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves by Stephen Grosz (Hardcover - 3 Jan 2013)