5.0 out of 5 stars I'm such a sucker for Nigella
Published on 3 Oct 2008 by emma who reads a lot

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many recycled recipes
I've got quite a few of the Nigella books and borrowed this book in the run up to Christmas to see if it's worth buying. For me, it's definitely not. Most of the recipes have appeared in earlier Nigella books, and it's not worth shelling out for something I've already got.

Published on 22 Dec 2008 by Jen13

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm such a sucker for Nigella, 3 Oct 2008
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities (Hardcover)
I can't help really, really liking Nigella Lawson; she forces me, in spite of myself. I try to remember she's married to a millionaire and that she's probably written this whole Christmassy book in the middle of August but ... there's something genuine about her passion for parties, drinks, canapes, turkey... that by the end, is making me wish I was her. Or at least her friend.

This is a great christmas book, (although I am NOT going to agree with the person who says it's loads better than Delia! Don't be stupid! You cannot swap this book for Delia at christmas, not least for the simple practical reason that Nigella is WAY too big to go to Waitrose in the trolley. And I'm not putting chocolate in the Christmas cake, whatever NL says).

What is unique about Nigella's book? The little details you don't expect. Black bean soup hangover cures. Chicken soup flu remedies. A sharp fruit salad to wake you up on Christmas morning. Her naughty selection of Yuletide drinks (martinis made with earl grey tea, and um, honeyed vodka....).

There's a great selection of twists on the conventional Christmas book stuff: preserves to make as gifts include chilli jam, pomegranate vodka and gorgeous little sweets in the shape of xmas puddings.

Long-time Nigella users will not be surprised that cupcakes make it in there: Christmas fairy cakes have silver sprinkles on, apparently. And I will definitely concede that Nigella's yule log actually looks better than Delia's, though I haven't done a back-to-back taste test. And can't actually promise to.

For me one of the big tests of a Christmas cookbook is the vegetarian option, because it's SO HARD to find nice ones to make things as special for the non-meat eaters. Hers is a ginormous pumpkin stuffed with rice. It looks gorgeous, but I'm not sure whether all those extra carbs are what you need on National Roast Potato Day.

The leftovers recipes, another test, are great. Cassoulet for leftover goose, oriental beef salad for beef, and her agent Ed Victor's turkey hash for the dreaded bird.

The only problem with changing ANY of the reliable recipes at Christmas is that it ruins the whole day if they are rubbish, and then you have to wait a whole year to fix the mistakes. One thing I'm absolutely sold on is her FOUR PAGE Christmas pudding which even she describes as "the ultimate". You even get instructions for how to stir it, for which I once more love her.

So look I think this book is probably a must-have. So few pictures of her in her ringlets simpering this time around that I almost miss them, and loads of her very funny, motivating, seductive prose about food. I won't be swapping from Delia's red cabbage, but I will definitely be trying quite a lot of stuff out of this book, on the basis that for me, her recipes are utterly reliable and always turn out a treat. And I haven't even mentioned the prosecco jelly...

Update 23/10/08
I hadn't quite realised until other reviewers pointed it out that this book is absolutely CHOCKA with repeat recipes. Spurred by their criticisms I sat in the kitchen last night flicking through my other NIgella books and realised that almost half the recipes in Nigella Christmas have already appeared in other titles - even though she has, I admit, slightly modified most of them. (Eg chestnut and lentil soup is now just chestnut, rocky road has glacé cherries in it, etc etc.) But still! I am a bit shocked. The good thing of course is that all the recipes are in one place, so you don't have to go hunting through her other books to find the Christmas ones. However it does make me think a bit less of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many recycled recipes, 22 Dec 2008

The book is beautifully presented and I'm sure it would be useful if you needed one cookbook for Christmas. However, I'd think twice about buying this and get a copy of Feast instead, as it's much better value. Most of the recipes here appear in Feast, and Feast also includes chapters on Easter, weddings and various other festive occasions. Feast is a lot more useful and costs about the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars The build up to Christmas has begun!, 4 Oct 2008
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Nigella Lawson writes a good recipe. And here she has also created a gorgeous christmas cookbook. The whole book is evocative of the season - I can almost smell the aromas..... Of course the book contains the basics - Christmas dinner, christmas cake and christmas puddding. But then Nigella plunges off in a number of different directions; chapters include: The More the Merrier (Cocktails, Canapes and Manageable Mass Catering), Seasonal Support (Soups, Salad, Sauces and Serve-later Sides), Come On Over.... (Stress-Free Suppers), The Main Event (this section is red edged so easy to find in the centre of the book), Joy to the World (Christmas Baking and Sweet Treats), All Wrapped Up (Edible Presents and Party Preserves), A Christmas Brunch for 6-8, A Bevy of Hot Drinks, Dr Lawson Prescribes (Let Food be your medicine....). Punctuated throughout with gorgeous photos - it's a delight just to flick through. I'm certainly thinking on moving away from traditional turkey for christmas dinner after reading the Main Event chapter! Basically Nigella has the whole Christmas covered - this will certainly be one of the front runners in my arsenal for dealing with the Christmas season. There is a comprehensive list of suppliers, and, as another reviewer stated, many of the recipes are applicable for other (mainly wintery!) times of the year.

Recipes include:

Poinsettia (A cocktail containing Proscecco, Cointreau/Grand Marnier or triple Sec and Cranberry juice)
Chilli Cheese Crostini
Eggnog Syllabub
Pumpkin and Goat's Cheese Lasagne
Prodigious Pavlova (passion fruit, raspberries and lychees)
Boston Baked Beans
Lamb and Date Tagine
Spinach and Bacon Salad
Festive Couscous
Spruced-up Vanilla Cake with Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote
Spiced and Superjuicy Roast Turkey with Allspice Gravy
My Mother's Bread Sauce
Panettone and Italian Sausage Stuffing
Beetroot/Butternut Orzotto (risotto basically)
Turkey Pilaff
Hot Honeyed Vodka
Cuban Cure Black Bean Soup

5.0 out of 5 stars The build up to Christmas has begun!, 1 Jan 2010
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nigella Christmas (Hardcover)

Recipes include:

Chilli Cheese Crostini
Eggnog Syllabub
Pumpkin and Goat's Cheese Lasagne
Prodigious Pavlova (passion fruit, raspberries and lychees)
Boston Baked Beans
Lamb and Date Tagine
Spinach and Bacon Salad
Festive Couscous
Spruced-up Vanilla Cake with Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote
Spiced and Superjuicy Roast Turkey with Allspice Gravy
My Mother's Bread Sauce
Panettone and Italian Sausage Stuffing
Beetroot/Butternut Orzotto (risotto basically)
Turkey Pilaff
Espresso Martini
Hot Honeyed Vodka
Cuban Cure Black Bean Soup

2.0 out of 5 stars Right book, wrong country!, 25 Nov 2010
I was really excited to be getting this book of Christmas recipes. But, when it arrived I realised quickly that it was written for the American market. Measurements and ingredients are in US terms. No good to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars LIMITED EDITION, ONLY 1000 released - SIGNED COPY IN SLIPCASE., 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nigella Christmas (Hardcover)
Presented in a sealed pack, this classy 2008 slip-cased version measures in around 24.5 cm x 28.5 cm x 3.25 cm.
Representing the festive colour scheme throughout the book, the slipcase is in dark green with the simple embellishment of some silvery snowflakes and rather than a cover picture of the Domestic Goddess, the book has a glossy red plain cover with the title in block silver lettering.

The signing is simply 'Nigella Lawson' and is in thick black pen, below the typing:

This edition of NIGELLA CHRISTMAS, signed by the author, is limited to 1000 copies and indicates on each

'..../1000' (with the relevant copy number shown on the dotted line)

Beyond the covers, the contents are the same as the regular title:

* Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to book for Festivity, 28 Aug 2011
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I know Nigella is not everyone's cup of tea - but she works for me. There is a laid back style to her food which fits well with my own.

This book is both fun and frivolous but also packed with tasty recipes (and they are not all restricted to the theme).

The presentation is top notch, the photography always inviting and her trademark style this there throughout.

I wouldn't be without this for party food at time of the year.

De-li-cious

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella at christmas, 30 Jun 2011
As far as I am concerned this book is my Christmas survival kit. The illustrations inspire me to want to make all the recipes featured in it As soon as the Christmas tree is up Nigella at Christmas is put in pride of place in my kitchen. The recipe for the Christmas ham is now a family must and the tips for bathing the turkey seems crazy but i cannot believe what difference it makes. Most of the christmas treat recipes can be made beforehand and frozen. (which if like me you juggle christmas with a full time job, children and a home is a lifesaver )The book is laid out so well, it not only gives tips for the ultimate christmas dinner but also easy recipes for visiting family and friends that enable me to enjoy the festive fun without being stuck in the kitchen. I just love it and now cannot think of preparing a christmas without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella does it again, 19 Nov 2008
This book enters without faltering into the Nigella Classics. I feared it might be a rush, flimsy job, like Forever Summer, or the slightly disappointing Nigella Bites. But I needn't have - this is a beautifully put together (you sort of want to sit there and stroke it) brilliantly written (I read mine cover to cover like a novel, a bit tragic, but there you go) and, needless to say, the essential thing, full of recipes and menus that make you feel crazily Christmassy, and greedy.

The red centre pages, marking the actual Christmas Day menu, are a well though out touch. Nigella is typically luscious and bosomy looking, I just want her to come and cook my Christmas lunch for me. Not least because I am, in an awestruck way, a bit terrified of her Christmas menu. It is so all-encompassing and grand and generous, that I feel daunted by even making the bread sauce - there's just so much to do! She helps the pathetic like me by putting in a very authoritative cooking schedule. But, still.

I'm going to let myself in gently by making goats cheese and pumpkin lasagne this weekend, followed by maple glazed cheesecake. How totally delicious.

Bravo Nigella! Please come and live with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Christmas book!, 3 Oct 2008
This is a great, great book by Nigella. I am a fan of her other books and love this one just as much. There are lots of excellent photos; delicious, inventive recipes; and clear and easy to follow directions. There is even a drinks section, which I know I will be putting to good use! This would make an excellent Christmas gift for the foodie in your life, and while I too ordered this on pre-order (see above review), my copy was in perfect condition with no mis-prints. Don't let the title of the book fool you, while Nigella may have meant these recipes for the holiday season, you can easily make them all throughout the year when you want something a little indulgent.

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities by Nigella Lawson (Hardcover - 2 Oct 2008)
13.00