5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE COOK BOOK THIS YEAR, MAKE IT THIS ONE!!
I am a huge fan of cooking and I'm at my happiest when I am in the kitchen, whizzing up gourmet meals for ten dinner guests. However, I also have a toddler, baby and husband to feed every evening. Not only is time precious, but the food has to be tasty to be accepted!

Cue Nigella Express.
I have made dozens of recipes from this book and so far every...
Published on 11 Mar 2008 by Kim Busby

3.0 out of 5 stars Views from a half arsed cook
A misssed opportunity. I think that this book demonstrates Nigella's complete lack of awareness of the pressure of most people's daily and working lives. Many of the recipies are lovely and probably very time saving if you happen to live in palatial surroundings in central London and are married to one of the richest men in the UK. If however like me you are staggering...
Published on 9 Oct 2007 by Westy Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE COOK BOOK THIS YEAR, MAKE IT THIS ONE!!, 11 Mar 2008
Kim Busby "Kim" (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews

Cue Nigella Express.
I have made dozens of recipes from this book and so far every single one of them has worked, and has been praised and revered by all who have sampled them. The Tiramisu is one of the best I have ever eaten, and it's one of my favourite desserts. The black beans with tuna is to die for, as are the chickpeas with rocket and sherry. I have to admit that my husband and toddler looked at me like I'd gone mad when I presented them with a bowl of chickpeas for dinner. But ten minutes, and two full bellies later, they admitted that it was stunningly good.

Fab, fab, fab is all I can say. Don't even think about not buying it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Nigella's best, 3 Nov 2007
Annie (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
I was wary of buying this. How many Nigella cookery books does one need? (I have them all.) But this is brilliant. Because they're all quick recipes, you know you can just read them before making and won't get to the end of the recipe and find it says "best made 24 hours before eating". Some of the recipes aren't super healthy, but if you like to eat healthily just avoid them. I've heard some (the croissant pudding) don't work, but all the ones I've tried have. There's a superb smoked trout pate recipe in there, ditto mirin glazed salmon that I've made many times. And a lovely loaf recipe that's wholesome, uses yeast but involves no proving. Genius! I really recommend this book to everyone, but especially those with little time on their hands as this is fab, fast, food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous pictures; imaginative recipes, 15 Sep 2012
BookLoverRC (Newark, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
Nigella really shines in this collection of short, easy yet inspiring recipes. With beautiful glossy pictures that make you want to drool and her trademark 'seductive' introduction to each recipe, this book is just as good to read in bed as it is to cook from. Maybe it could do without all the photos of the author in various poses, but, hey, it's her book! I love the recipe for the White Bean Mash, and the Maple Ribs. Another great production sympathizing with the busy lifestyles of today! Well done Nigella!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, 19 Sep 2007
Sukie (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
One word describes this book for me...YUM. From the gorgeous design to the mouth-watering photos to the chatty style of Nigella Lawson's writing...this is a book to sit and read for pleasure, as much as it is a 'recipe book' to be instructed by.

There are thirteen sections to the book, with chapters covering speedy entertaining, breakfast in a hurry, superfast soul food, instant Italian etc. There's a good range of recipes with starters, snacks, drinks and puddings all getting plentiful coverage. (The desserts - including Irish Cream Tiramisu, Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Ginger Passionfruit Trifle and many more make this book worth the cover price alone!)
The one thing I'm not keen on is the occasional snap of Nigella in her pjs but I'm still going to give it five stars. Delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with Jamie, 27 Dec 2013
Seaslave1 (South Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigella Express (Kindle Edition)
Another one of our best British chefs. Nigella never ceases to fail in the kitchen. This woman is amazing and I don't care what she does in her private life. She is my true Domestic Goddess. Thanks Nigella!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!, 6 Sep 2007
whipmeupsomecream (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
Yet another fantastic book from Nigella! Apart from the beautiful grey/pink presentation complete with retro pictures, the actual content is superb! It is different from her previous books in the way that the friendly chat she introduces each recipe with is cut down considerably. So although you still have a comforting narrative to guide you through each recipe, it's short and sweet and cuts to the chase. Also, in keeping with the 'express' theme, there is a recipe per page with bullet point methods. This makes it particularly easy to read when in a hurry. There are beautiful photos to drool over too!
I am very impressed with this latest book of Nigella's. I always thought 'Feast' would be incredibly hard to beat in all aspects. And although 'Express' deals with a different type of cooking, it is just as good and definitely up to the very high standard she has set for herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Nigella Express (Paperback)
I love the recipes in this book, and for those complaining about the expense of some of the ingredients used - it is not hard to think of substitutes, eg. I have made the crab recipe with tinned crab meat and it was still lovely. The scallops and chorizo I just made with white fish and chorizo (bought in Lidl, shock horror!)and this too was lovely. I tend not to stick to recipes word for word all the time, life would be a bit boring that way, and as Nigella herself freely admits to messing with recipes and even included 'notes' pages in her Nigella Bites book, I think it is safe to say she would not be offended by my meddling! All in all, fantastic flavours, quick recipes, and a little imagination and ingredient substitution makes the recipes more affordable for those who can't always quite stretch to a giant pile of fresh scallops!

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the eyes!, 30 Oct 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
I must admit, I wasn't expecting too much from this book as the TV series didn't excite me as much as I thought it would. I found some of footage of Nigella being an everyday mum and wife a bit hard to swallow, it was a bit too nicey nicey - middle England at it's most bourgeois!

...BUT - this is a fantastic recipe book and true to the Express philosophy. Me and my missus have a quick test to determine the usefulness of a recipe book, we swiftly thumb through it and if we see half a dozen recipes we know we will do then it gets the thumbs up. Upon further reading this throws out some great recipes - and all quick ones.

It is pleasantly divided and set out well. Beautifully photographed to ensure that you are salivating like a rabid dog before you even start to get the ingredients from the cupboard.

As I have already said - the recipes are all designed to be made quickly and with minimal effort, although some are more involved than others, this is the best book of 'quick dishes' I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Domestic Goddess' is back.....and what a great book it is!, 10 Sep 2007
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
'This is, as the title makes clear, a book about fast food, but it is a book about fast food for those who love eating.
Perhaps that's self-evident: How could I write any other sort? .......
But, here's the problem: the day doesn't have enough gaps in it for me to do much shopping and the evening - what with the battles over homework, the still unchecked-off list of things I was meant to do, the calls I was supposed to return - doesn't yield much time to cook. But I must eat, and I must eat well - or else what is the point of it all?.......
I could go on, but in the interest of brevity and the 'Express' spirit, it seems only right to cut straight to the chase.
The recipes that follow are not simply quick to cook, they attempt to make the whole of your cooking life - and as a consequence, all of your life - easier.
They are arranged in chapters, but please don't feel confined by these.
Read, browse, sample, fiddle about as you see fit.
As in cooking, so in life: we muddle through as best as we can and this is what Nigella Express is all about.....
Good Food Fast.'

Nigella is the author of a number of best-selling books....but this is, arguably, her best to date.
Inside the covers one finds a selection of typical everyday recipes, such as 'High-Speed Hamburger with Fast Fries', 'Quick Chilli', 'Macaroni Cheese', 'Butterfly Cakes' and 'Roly-Poly Pudding', mingling with the perhaps lesser well-known, but nevertheless intriguing:-'Red Prawn and Mango Curry', 'Green Apple Martini', 'Red-Leaf, Fig and Serrano Ham Salad', 'Chopped Ceviche and Mexicola', 'Roquamole' and 'Hokey Pokey'.

Launched to coincide with her latest BBC TV series, this chunky tome has 390 high quality pages, split over 13 chapters:-

(1) Everyday Easy - speedy suppers, day in, day out
(10) On the Run - food for eating on the hoof, packed lunches and picnics
(11) Hey Presto - instant Italian
(12) Holiday Snaps - Christmas quickies
(13) Storecupboard SOS - how to cope when there's no time to go shopping

sandwiched between an introduction and a full index.
Handy ribbon bookmark to keep the place.

Each chapter opens with the famous Nigella banter, as does each recipe, e.g.:-

'Lamb Olive and Caramelized Onion Tagine'

'Nearly all stews start with chopped onion.
Here is the lazy person's version, which uses some caramelised onion out of a jar instead..........And I add to the desirable idleness by not even searing the meat. I just tip everything into a big pan and let it do its own sweet thing without any interference from me.
'I don't actually cook this recipe in 'a tagine' - though often serve it in one - but ever since someone told me that in Morocco most tagines are made in pressure cookers, I have felt unembarrassed by calling something cooked in a pan - 'a tagine'.

The recipes are clearly laid out with the title in pale pink capital letters, followed by an opening note, the list/s of ingredients, an easy to follow numbered method and the number of servings and, if applicable - notes on accompaniments and/or a footnote.
Full colour photography throughout.

A very small taste of the other recipes contained within:-

* Anglo-Asian Lamb Salad
* Holiday Hot Cake with Eggnog Cream
* Hot Toddy
* Curry in a Hurry

and .....not forgetting my favourite:-

'Instant Chocolate Mousse' from pages 158/9, serving 4-6, and with the added bonus of being egg-free - 'no yolks, no whites, no whisking, no waiting'
Simply delicious - but I do admit to adding some white chocolate shavings on the top of mine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Express isn't necessarily a bad thing!, 17 Sep 2007
J. Pink (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
We all adore (or want to be) Nigella in our house! We love time spent fiddling around with a zillion ingredients, gallons of cream and a dozen eggs BUT this is fabulous too!!

I have two children who love tasty food (who doesn't?) and I needed some new ideas for quick meals! You will find plenty of them in this book and your kids will love trying out some new flavours!! Popular with my two are the white bean mash, chicken schnitzel with bacon and green eggs and ham (frequently accompanied by the Dr Seuss story of the same name!).

Don't be put off by the "Express" element of the title! This is a great book with just enough Nigella chat to also make it a good read when you're not cooking.

ARRAY(0xa6d67e64)

Nigella Express
Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01