5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarrely fascinating read..., 11 April 2008
C. Lawson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
I was given this book as a birthday present and, not being pregnant or hoping to be any time soon, was a little surprised. My surprise soon gave way to fascination as I began this book - not at all a book for an expectant mother, this tome covers the diverse history of giving birth in gruesome and personal detail. Slightly feminist in tone - and no wonder, considering the topic - this is an intriguing read into an aspect of history you're not going to find in a day-to-day history book.

I love what I call 'personal history' and this book more than delivered. I raced through it in a week, then lent it to my mum who did likewise. I have never been so drawn in by a non-fiction book. A must buy for those who like to learn about the more obscure aspects of our ancestors' lives. There's even a little segment at the end discussing all the upcoming 'trends' for giving birth (and believe me, there are definitely trends in this field) such as hypno-birthing... so perhaps there is a little something for the expectant mums... though on the whole I'd avise those about to give birth to stay away from this book until after the deed is done! Otherwise - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 25 Jun 2008
kathy (South West Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
As a midwife I am fascinated by the history of birth and am amazed a book like this hasn't been written before. Manages to condense the whole history of childbirth from prehistoric times up to today beautifully and comprehensively. Subjects include midwives, pain relief, caesarean section, tools and fads and the role of the father, with some illustrations. It is warmly written by a mother and very easy to read. Although written by an American author, relates it to practice in the UK. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in how we come into the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating, inportant book that all expectant mothers ought to read., 25 April 2009
Helen (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
This book is so empowering for expectant mothers! It outlines the development of birthing techniques throughout history, and reveals why doctors and midwives are so different in their treatment of labouring women.

This fascinating book explains the reasons behind the development of certain medical interventions, and also looks at the scientific evidence relating to the effectiveness of natural/normal birthing techniques.

I would recommend it to expectant mothers because in order to make informed descisions about the right kind of birth for your child, it is important to understand the reasoning behind each intervention, and why it may (or may not) be beneficial. Don't expect this to be fluffy heart-and-cherubs stuff, like some baby books, but do expect to finish this book in a state of empowerment and clarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC BOOK!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Nov 2008
S. Matthiesen-campbell (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
I Have just finished reading this fantastic book which i absolutely love. I had a baby recently and found the experience so magical that I had to read every single book out there on what us women go through to keep the world going! It is great and really brings the whole story and history of birth home with what women went throuhg in the past. Just dont read this if you are expecting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, fascinating, thought-provoking, 25 Aug 2013
WindsorMummy (Windsor) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Birth: A History (Kindle Edition)
I'm an avid reader of all things pregnancy/midwifery related, and was surprised that I hadn't heard of this book or seen it crop up on midwifery forums I'm a member of. By chance I came across it in my local library, and I'm so glad I did! The author presents us with a concise yet thorough history of midwifery and obstetrics. It is at times upsetting and frustrating, but always thought-provoking. Tina Cassidy has a real talent at keeping an ever so slight hint of humour (more irony than anything) which does help dispel some of the weight of the subject matter. The book is packed full of facts but you never feel bogged down in the detail. I've learnt alot from this book and have recommended it to several friends. Definitely one to read and hang on to, I don't think you could ever tire of learning about cultural and historical attitudes toward midwifery/obstetrics/pregnancy/childbirth. I don't have a negative thing to say about this book; definitely one I'll buy a copy of to read again in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but now I'm worried..., 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
I raced through this book in just two days, partially because I'm already full term and wanted to make sure I read it all before the baby came along! While I really enjoyed it from a historical perspective as I love a good nonfiction book with lots of interesting facts, I now feel MORE anxious than before about giving birth. There was a LOT of focus on the history of cesareans, forceps and craniotomies (which is the last thing I want to hear about - babies getting stuck in the birth canal and having their heads drilled into the "extract" them). There also wasn't quite enough history about how other cultures dealt with natural childbirth historically -- it was more about the medieval and victorian practices to deal with a childbirth gone wrong. It would've been useful to hear some empowering messages about a woman's ability.

At the end, the author seemed to say that although she admired natural childbirth, she still prefers a hospital and an epidural - something I would fear she would say and might ultimately lead me in the same direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but e-book needs work!, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Birth: A History (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book; however, reading it on a Kindle Touch was nothing short of frustrating! There are numerous links in the book which take you right to the end, leaving you having to a) remember exactly where you were up to and b) having to scroll back through chapters and then through several pages to get to where you were. And repeat. Lots of times. It really hindered the reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
I would reccomend this book to anyone.. Every page was filled with facts i was fascinated with. The writer has answers for things previously unexplained. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing birth book, 15 Jan 2012
Mr. C. A. Trevis "Kaan" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birth: A History (Paperback)
My wife found this book very interesting haven given birth to two children but she recommended not reading it before you give birth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone interested in childbirth, 22 May 2009
H. Davis (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Amazing book, well written, thoroughly researched. Highly recommend for anyone, especially those interested in the mechanics and history of birth from midwives to epidurals.

Birth: A History
Birth: A History by Tina Cassidy (Paperback - 1 Mar 2007)