1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sparrows enter the water and turn into clams", 13 Oct. 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: East Wind Melts the Ice (Hardcover)
It was Liza Dalby's fictional novel about the life of the great Heian writer, Murasaki Shikibu, that got me utterly fixed on Japanese poetry, court diaries and culture. As soon as I saw that she had written another book, I did not hesitate to buy it. For anyone interested in nature, changing seasons and Japanese culture, this is the perfect book.

Dalby has taken the form of an ancient Chinese almanac in order to create her book, examining how the 72 units of the year are broken down and why. The title for my review is the title for the unit October 11 through to October 15th (the time I wrote this review). Dalby first gives a small paragraph explaining why such comments may be made, and then she compares them to Japanese life aswell as her life in America. What this creates is an original memoir, drawing upon inspiration from personal anecdote, inspiration from nature along with references to literature and examples of Japanese haiku.

I loved this memoir - it is certainly a book that I shall keep and treasure, returning to it some time in the future. As a lover of nature and literature, it was just perfect for me.

East Wind Melts the Ice
East Wind Melts the Ice by Liza Dalby (Hardcover - 5 April 2007)
Used & New from: £0.42