5.0 out of 5 stars A great success!
I can't cook well, so when I try to use a book I appreciate a food writer who is clear and doesn't assume you have trained as a chef already. Nigella makes the grade spectacularly! Her commentary is also brill because she clearly adores sharing what she does.

It is designed with recipes covering loads of special occasions but I've tried a fair few without...
Published on 26 Oct 2006 by Shelf Life

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read as well as a cook book!
Pros
You can really impress your friends and family with these recipes.
Everything is laid out into specific ocassions.
Instructions as straight forward and easy enough to follow.
You could spend an evening or two on the sofa browsing through the pages as there is a lot of little snipits of information.

Cons
No where near enough photos...
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by P. A. Kearney

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For food lovers - beginners to experts, 3 Oct 2006
If you love food and enjoy the process of creating it, this book will be a pleasure to own. I have gone through most of the recipes over the last few years and each one is well described and delicious. I can't recommend it highly enough and as it was a present, I can suggest it as a gift for anyone who loves food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunna from Nigella, 19 Oct 2004
J. Gooch "snorestore" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Beautifully presented as ever, with a series of compelling menus from which to choose. A significant proportion of the recipes are rehashes or direct copies from older books by La Lawson. However, this doesn't detract from it at all - if anything it's good to see them reworked in new contexts.
The chapter introductions are delightfully written, in what more literary reviewers than I would probably describe as a fresh writing style. I have learnt more from NL about different faiths, countries and peoples than I ever did from a history book or encyclopaedia.
Anyway, back to the cooking: so far not a single recipe has failed. Dinner parties in my neck of the woods are definitely going to be more successful from now on.
I'm also delighted to discover that the cooking times for individual recipes concur exactly with what Nigella suggests, which means that either she has the same cooker has me (which I doubt) or that she and her team have paid particularly close attention to this key detail.
This book deserves to be in everyone's Christmas stocking this year, and no, I don't even mind if that makes its author even more fabulously rich than she already is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dozen chocolate cakes - need I say more?, 18 Mar 2008
Morena - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
My favourite ever book for chocolate cake, even though that's not really the main focus of the book. Look out for the section where each delectable cake is accompanied by a photo, each more beautiful than the last... One of the less beautiful cakes is a chocolate gingerbread cake, which I have been known to make weekly in the depths of winter; it's the ultimate luxurious comfort food, and I've never seen another recipe like it (tip - add chopped ginger from a jar).

If you like cookbooks with a lot of commentary, you'll like this - Nigella has a lovely way of writing both about what the recipe should hopefully look and feel like at its different stages to reassure you, and about any topic that comes into her head, sparked off by the food in question.

The recipes are typical Nigella hedonism - everything made as luxurious, tasty and soul-feeding as possible, without compromise. As well as 'English' type food, there's an emphasis on some lesser-known cuisines, like Georgian and Islamic, as well as Jewish, though all with a personalised spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of all the cookbooks I've bought, Nigella's are fantastic!!!, 22 Feb 2006
I have loads of baking books, but none are as good as this. The recipies are very easy to follow and don't use flashy ingredients, most of which are probably already in your cupboards!!
The title says it all, as it has recipies for all occasions, from Christmas to Funerals. There is a section for children to join in and in it, I made the best white mini bread rolls ever!!!!
The creme de la creme for me are the "love buns". They are to die for!!!! Especially the "whippy" topping. These are exactly as Nigella says they will turn out, and that goes for all the other recipies in the book.
This is a MUST BUY!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why so many people?, 20 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I love Nigella's writing and this is another example. Her books are interesting, chatty and inviting. Moreover, they reassure not intimidate as some of the celebrity chefs do in their books - one look down the list of ingredients and methods and I just want to order take-out! I do own all her other books and I didn't really mind that a couple of the recipes were repeats of those in other books, the only little niggle is why are the recipes for so many people? How many of us really invite upwards of a dozen people for a meal?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recipies, 28 July 2007
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
I have used this book for mainly the cake recipies, though I will try out some of the others in the future.
The cakes I have made from this book have been delicious and not too hard to make.
The way she writes the descriptions is also very homely and welcoming, as if she were standing beside you talking you through what to do next, it is very clear.
One other thing I like about this book is that you can just look through it and see lovely pictures of food that inspires you to cook more. It is fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant cook book, 5 Dec 2006
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
Every recipe I've used from this book has worked out stunningly well. The dishes are delicious and just reading Nigella's writing makes your mouth water.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book for a while, 3 Aug 2007
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
i thought out of curioustiy i would buy this book, i had hered such a lot about how to eat and how to be a domestic godess so i decided to break away and try feast. and was i glad that i did. its such a good read and the book has been broken into festivals and dates rather than courses (starters,main ,dessert) i absolutley adore the chicken pot pies and the malteser cake and i am already planning christmas dinner-and its august!the halloween section seems to be the most inventive and (as i have to baby sit my nephew and his friends while the trick-or-treat) i am desperate to cook these to scare the kids the only slight problem is the text is quite small and takes quite some getting used too, thankfully i am now!

5.0 out of 5 stars these cakes should not be allowed, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
the first thing I made was a cake which was pobably the most sinful,indulgent and totally gorgeous dessert I have ever made. full of fab recipes but note that most are intended for large groups as the title "Feast" suggests.not all easily adapt to smaller family gatherings. she does not stint on ingredients so be prepared to spend some money. She is interesting to read and mostly easy to follow although a bit wordy sometimes. some great food ideas in here. careful with your calories though...Nigella isn't. A great book for any cook who loves to entertain others

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring reading, 3 Jan 2005
Nigella has done it again. I am a great fan of Domestic Goddess and feel that she has managed to improve upon this with Feast. Both books are extremely readable and enjoyable, even if you are not keen to venture into the kitchen!
I enjoy reading Nigella's friendly and amusing prose and feel that her approach to cookery is infectious and the book has me itching to get into the kitchen. One of the things that really encourages me is that the lists of ingredients are not endless as this is guaranteed to put me off before I start. I like the fact that there are pictures as this gives me something to work towards.
Feast, like Domestic Goddess is one of those books that will not be gathering dust on the shelf in the kitchen. If I am not reading about the different feasts and drooling over the mouthwatering pictures, I will be planning what I will be cooking to treat myself and my family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
Feast: Food that Celebrates Life by Nigella Lawson (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: 1.30