5.0 out of 5 stars A great success!
I can't cook well, so when I try to use a book I appreciate a food writer who is clear and doesn't assume you have trained as a chef already. Nigella makes the grade spectacularly! Her commentary is also brill because she clearly adores sharing what she does.

Published on 26 Oct 2006 by Shelf Life

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read as well as a cook book!
Pros
You can really impress your friends and family with these recipes.
Everything is laid out into specific ocassions.
Instructions as straight forward and easy enough to follow.
You could spend an evening or two on the sofa browsing through the pages as there is a lot of little snipits of information.

Cons
No where near enough photos...
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by P. A. Kearney

5.0 out of 5 stars A great success!, 26 Oct 2006
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)

It is designed with recipes covering loads of special occasions but I've tried a fair few without passing a single one on the calander, and they have all been delicious!

What is different to almost all of the 'tv chef' books I have seen is that the recipes contain simple easy to find ingrediants that you won't have to spend hours trudging round specialist shops to get. They all claim to do this, but really this is the best one I have seen for it. This is so valuable in a cookbook. Probably like most people who have a busy life, I only occasionally want to push the boat out and try something fancy, most of the time I just want something different. This has different, plus quick, plus easy and accessible... real recipes you can use in real life.

The home made custard creams recipe is brilliant - my friends thought I was bonkers making something readily available - and all went off wanting the recipe themselves!

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read as well as a cook book!, 5 Jan 2008
P. A. Kearney "pkearney99" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
Pros
You can really impress your friends and family with these recipes.
Everything is laid out into specific ocassions.
Instructions as straight forward and easy enough to follow.

Cons
No where near enough photos. I find these are normally what inspire me to chose a recipe or a least something to compare the finished result to.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth your money.......probably, 22 Nov 2004
This is a fascinating subject covered by a highly talented author and as such I can't help but feel that this book should be better than it is.
As Brand Nigella has gathered pace her books have increased in glossy photography including a few too many of the author. Despite Nigella's stunning good looks, I can't help but feel most cooks would trade the gloss for a bit more of her magical prose.
If you are new to this kind of cooking I think this is a worthwhile book which is simple to follow. If you have been cooking and reading about food for a good few years you will probably find much of the source material already on your book shelves. In addition, there are a lot of cake recipes and if you nod off while reading it you could wake up think you are reading Domestic Goddess. I don't deny that cakes are pretty central to feasts but as you turn the pages it can feel like a bit of extra padding between the covers.
That being said, it is a diverting read whilst sprawled on the sofa with a drink and has enough inspiring stuff to send you off for a potter around the kitchen.
Nigella's seminal work is, in my view 'How to Eat' and if you don't own it, buy it (no pictures at all though- one extreme to the other). Feast is less ground breaking but is still very good indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough to do, Fancy enough to impress your friends!, 2 Mar 2007
L. Silver "Laura" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
Nigella's 'Feast' is an absolute essential to any kitchen regardless of whether you're a novice or a pro. What makes this book so great is that Nigella's recipes are written in a way that is clear and straight forward enough that it would be difficult to go wrong with them, yet at the same time she emphasises that a reader should feel free to adapt ingredients and measurements at your own will, meaning the more adventurous cook can be a bit creative! Nigella's obvious love for the food she is writing about and cooking makes it all the more appealing.

While the focus of 'Feast' is on festive food, it is also filled with some brilliant everyday recipes. I have made the 'chicken noodle soup' about ten times now and it is amazing and takes less than ten minutes!

So whether you want something a bit different on a week night or want to create something delicious and spectacular for a special occasion (or just a saturday!) then there will be something in this book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigella does it again, 8 Oct 2004
What another fabulous book Nigella has produced. 'Feast' covers a variety of different events in life (Christmas, New Year, Easter, etc.) and gives a variety of mouth watering dishes for them all. A lot of thought has gone into this book. For example in the Christmas section not only do we have the traditional recipes for turkey et al but she also supplies suggestions for Christmas Eve (a meal that ends up being over looked most of the time) and suggestions of what to do with all those leftovers when you can't bear the thought of turkey anymore. Her chatty and encouraging writing style from her previous books is still very much in evidence here and instead of feeling instructed as you work through the recipes you feel as though your best friend has turned up and you are working through a bottle of red wine whilst creating in the kitchen. The recipes are easy to follow and the useful list of suppliers at the back makes it no chore to find any of the needed ingredients. A delight to cook from but also a true pleasure to read. Nigella's books should be on any aspiring cook's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything works. And everything is good., 13 Mar 2008
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The downsides - the book's not very well organised. It's arranged by "feast themes" rather than something else. So it's all a bit haphazard. And she looks a bit mad in some of the photos - trying a bit too hard to smile at the camera. And that's it.

The upsides - well firstly, everything works. Everything. This is the first cookbook where we'd cook for other people a recipe we'd never tried before, because they all work. There's none of the nonsense of her latest TV show ("I always keep a bag of [insert the most obscure ingredient you can think of] in the freezer, you never know when it might come in useful") and just a load, a load, of really good, straightforward recipes. Some sound weird (Ham with Cherry Coke?) but they all work.

Highly, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, 9 Jun 2009
This review is from: Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Paperback)
This book is really good. Nigella's recipes are simple and easy to follow; and she adds a brief note to each recipe describing the dish or explaining why she likes it, which gets you interested. Even the most complex recipe is described simply and made easy. The only reason I haven't given in 5 stars is that I like to have a picture of each dish(at least what the final result is expected to look like)

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must have!, 24 Sep 2007
Ms. H. A. Cooper "Hels Bels" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a gorgeous book, full of fab recipes. A perfect recipe for every occassion.

This was the only book I used last Christmas and my turkey and all the trimmings were perfectly cooked!! (And it was only the 2nd Chritmas Dinner I've made - so v proud!!)

They are minimum stress recipes which arn't over complicated, which means you're not cooped up in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun!

A must have for every kitchen!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lavish production, 14 Oct 2004
A feast in itself, gorgeously produced as always. I like the way the content is arranged/themed - very successful. My gripe is as a reluctant fan of her cookbooks (she the celebrity irritates me enormously, but her books are very usable) is that if you own all her other books from How To Eat to Summer via all the degrees of goddess-dom, there is beginning to be rather too much repetition. I think this book would be a fantastic gift for someone who doesn't have all her other books, or who maybe only has the cake-heavy domestic goddess and has to explore her more savoury ways. If as I do, you have the rest there's not quite enough new material here to make this a worthwhile purchase.
Having griped, the quality of the book itself, judged in isolation is excellent. I do hope though that Nigella starts to explore some new culinary waters before producing any more titles. She should take a big, long holiday now!

5.0 out of 5 stars My cookery bible, 19 Jun 2014
My original copy of Feast is absolutely battered - the front and back covers are missing, the spine is ripped and the pages are splattered with chocolate and butter stains. It's the cookbook I turn to again and again - it is packed full of recipes that suit any occasion. For a very long time now I've been searching for another hardback copy of Feast to replace my very well used one and I was delighted to find a very reasonably priced second-hand copy in excellent condition.

Feast is beautifully presented, with gorgeous pictures and has clear, easy to follow recipes. I adore Nigella's written introduction at the beginning of each chapter. I never tire of reading it.

Here are just a few of my favourite recipes from Feast:

Chocolate fruit cake
Chocolate Guinness cake
Old fashioned chocolate cake - one of the best chocolate cakes I've made
Andy's Fairfield granola
Tagliata with rosemary and garlic potatoes
Passionfruit curd
Ritzy chicken nuggets
Rigatoni all forno
Chocolate cherry trifle

In my eyes Feast is a true classic. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
Feast: Food that Celebrates Life by Nigella Lawson (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: £5.32