Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 June 2013
This is the second book of his letters and Henry Hardy as the main editor of all Berlin's works has done a masterly job. This is essential because Berlin was particularly gregarious and therefore keeping track of all his correspondents is a difficult task. His assessment of people is often both quick and quick witted, so that he can dismiss people as well as take them up as friends for life. The period covered is that of the second world war and so as a Latvian Jew who also knew the history of ideas, including that of anti-semitism in Europe, this period is one of heartbreak and trauma. However, the sheer personality of someone who was often known as one of the greatest talkers shines through in these letters. Enjoy.
on 25 August 2013
It is amazing the number and range of contacts Berlin had and how his opinions of an every larger number of people were so direct, somewhat ruthless, but fascination, none-the-less.
on 28 October 2014
All fine.
on 7 November 2012
I would doubtless enjoy reviewing this book had Amazon actually sent it to me. I ordered it some weeks ago and believe I have already actually paid for it, but as yet it has not arrived. Perhaps you should synchronise the work of your various departments. As a matter of fact this is one of two books that I have long been waiting to receive and whenever I try and write to the company about this I receive one of its infuriatingly upbeat promises that it will arrive soon etc. etc.