on 9 September 2011
I'm the author of Making It Big - And this novel has just knocked mine off it's shiny pedestal after surviving 50 days as No.2 In Women's Popular Fiction! (Kindle chart). Am I crying? No... because I Don't Know How She Does It is a novel I've really loved for a long time. I consider being overtaken by it an honour (well, okay - it hurt less!) Regularly guilty of 'making my own cupcakes' from a supermarket, I identified with loads of incidents in this book when I read it a few years ago. I'm not surprised to hear it's been made into a movie. Deserves it. Just hope it's as funny as the actual book. Well done Allison... (though I'll probably regret giving you 5 stars when my book drops even more behind you as a consequence, and my publisher gives me a rollicking!!)
on 16 September 2003
I am a full-time working mother of one. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and can see it being a good movie. As with most fiction, the author has obviously gone for the extreme example of a working mother (high powdered executive with job involving travelling to parts of the world almost every week). I was exhausted keeping up with Kate`s routine. This lifestyle must be familiar to women especially in the city and Allison Pearson writes well with regard to the problems of daily childcare (an issue which this country should address more seriously). Read and enjoy, but don`t be put off having kids before reading this, as believe me, staying at home is more definitely more stressful!
on 11 May 2005
There were one or two really funny scenes in this book, but more of them had me thinking how self-absorbed the mother in the story is. Does any working mother with barely a minute to herself really spend that much time thinking about a potential extra-marital affair?
There were chunks of the book that I skipped over where the character is ranting on about the politics in her office. All in all a pretty disappointing read.
on 26 May 2003
This is not an 'airport fiction' read, as the rather misleading cover would suggest. It is a book that every working mother will relate to. There is some laugh out loud humour and some subtle slow burn humour but much of it is through-your-fingers-if-it-was-a-film acutely observed humour. The ending is not a traditional one, thank heavens. A thoroughly recommended good read.
on 22 May 2003
Everyone should read this book - men included! An accurate, hilarious, albeit sad depiction of how trying to juggle motherhood with a high-powered career is impossible, no matter how hard women try to pretend it's not. Men would find it an enlightening read and hopefully start to give women "a break".
on 3 June 2003
I really enjoyed this book, having worked in the City a few years ago, I am now a stay at home Mom so I recognised some of the characters. Allison Pearson does a really good job of describing family life, so that it resonates with you. A good read for those of us with kids, whether we work or not.
A funny and enjoyable book, read it !
on 31 May 2012
Kate is a high flying executive and busy mother. She has a crazy schedule and so busy all the time and this is quite a hectic book to read at times. There is a lot of humour in it and it's enjoyable. All mums (working and not working!) will relate to this. Very good book. Must see the film now!
on 24 June 2012
This is a must-read for all working mums - that is if they can find the time to sit down and read an entire novel! I loved this book. It's a fast-paced page turner and I found myself nodding in silent agreement with the protaganist, Kate Reddy. This one's a keeper.
on 5 January 2015
not to my taste
on 26 September 2003
this book was funny and sad - and even worse I saw myself in Kate. I don't work full time, or have such a high powered job, but I see myself making some of the same mistakes. But next time, my boss wants to increase my hours, the answer is no - I'm too much like Kate already!
The ending was so believable, Kate gives up her work and goes off to the country to live with her children. But is it the answer?
For so much of 20th Century we were after woman lib and equal opportunities. But as a result, there are so many people out there, struggling to hold down life, work, juggling childcare and trying to ensure their children get all the opportunities open to them (and ones their parents never had). But at what cost?
If you've not got children or considering having children, read this. Just so you know what you're missing - sanity and sleep, why else would you be destressing mince pies in the early hours, just so they can be taken to school and look home made.