5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you not to drool over this book....
Published on 22 Jan. 2004 by Ms H. C. Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning
Published on 25 Jan. 2009 by Peter Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you not to drool over this book...., 22 Jan. 2004
...I've always liked the way Nigella Lawson writes....her books make you want to read them, not just abandon to a dusty life on the kitchen shelf...She has a lovely way of making the recipes seem effortless, and most of them are as simple as they sound...I love the variety of recipes in this book, the little anecdotes that go with them, and the constant encouragement to experiment at home...the reader is made to feel that the recipes are not 'cast in iron', that it is possible to tweak and change them at our will...
The other thing I like about this book, is that Nigella is not selfish about her sources for recipes...if she finds a good recipe somewhere else, she gives the name of the book...like Nigella, I do a lot of 'middle of the night' browsing on the internet, especially in Amazon...and most of the books she mentions, or includes in the bibliography, I've been able to track down to purchase for myself...
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and my teenage son is testimony to the success of the recipes that I've tried. My favourites? the Chocolate brownie recipe, the Christmas-Morning Muffins, which take 25 mins from start to finish, (I've even been known to make these on a school-day morning, and I'M a teacher!)The easy danish pastry recipes, the calvados syllabub....I'd list more, but I really think you need to get your own copy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes that will make your mouth water., 29 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
Nigella Lawson makes cooking a pleasure. This book has a healthy balance between cooking for the family and cooking for guests that you want to impress. There was not a single recipe that I didn't want to try and by the time I had read the book I felt I knew Nigella and her family as old friends. Nigella encourages you to alter her recipes and feel confident doing so. I have never before bought a cookbook by a famous chef because I felt the recipes were too fancy or the ingredients were too difficult to buy, the majority of the ingredients in Nigella's recipe's can be found in most kitchen's or in the local shop. I cannot praise this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Favourite Baking Bible, 9 May 2007
I had heard of the chef Nigella Lawson, the domestic goddess, but I was yet to read one of her books or try her recipes. I bought this last year as a gift for myself, and I must admit that the first thing to attract me to the book was the cover! Very pretty and feminine. But once I got home and curled up with the book and a cup of tea, I realised just why Nigella is known as the domestic goddess; the recipes are out of this world! I looked through the entire book and found lots of recipes that I was itching to make, and the illustrations are gorgeous, a visually stunning baking guide. The book has something for everyone, even if you do not have a sweet tooth, it also contains savoury recipes. The cheese and onion pasties went down a treat, and the pizza rustica was just delicious and unusual too. My favourite recipe was the sour cream chocolate cake, it sounds strange adding soured cream to a cake, but the result was a moist cake, not temple achingly sweet yet still gooey and chocolatey. And the cheesecakes were perfect, much better than the shop bought artificial creations we are accustomed to. Overall I would say that this is the best baking book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of Delia and Mary Berry too. Nigella deserves her domestic goddess name tag and this book is not only a joy to look at but is packed full of some of the best recipes you would ever see.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunner!, 24 Feb. 2004
SecretSweets (Caxias, Portugal) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking (Hardcover)
No, I am not refering to Ms Lawson. I recently bought this book and have already tried over 10 recipes - each one a complete success and by that I mean absolutely no left-overs.
If you are looking for something to impress without having to spend many slavish hours in the kitchen, this book will give you enough ideas to keep you busy for many weeks to come.
The recipes are easy and I mean dead-simple! No fuss, no fiddling about with kitchen gadgets, no watching over the stove - nothing. Each recipe is stripped down to the basics and presented in a simple, idiot-friendly manner and yet the results are worthy of a nod from a gourmet chef!
I love the Sweet and Salty Peanut Biscuits, so different from the peanutbutter type biscuits we know. The Brownies are spectacular given that they are so easy to make, but wait...the Molten Chocolate Babycakes will leave you quite lost for words!
There is also a chapter on breads all all things yeasty. Here Ms Lawson pleads us to use old potato water as the liquid. Huh?! Well, yes, that's what she says! Who am I to dispute a guru. So, improbable as it sounds, I tried it. And .... well, frankly I don't quite see the big difference. I have turned to making my own bread for a few months now but it always finishes in two days. I have yet to test the theory that bread lasts longer with old potato water.
I also love the chapter on pies. Loads of easy stuff here to make and bake and I must confess that I am guilty of using family picnics as an excuse to make the Pizza Rustica and Cornish Pasties.
And finally, do not over look the chapter on puddings. For something unusual, try the Red Gooseberry Clafoutis and Om Ali. They are different and guaranteed to get you some 'ooohs' and 'aaahs'.
In general, I have enjoyed the reading the recipes in this book as much and making them - but not as much as eating them!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Baking Bible with another name, 4 Jun. 2011
I LOVE this book. It's not strict baking book that screams not to go outside the colouring book's lines. I prefer reviews that actually tell you what recipes you're getting out of your money so here's some;
-Chocolate cherry cupcakes
-White Chocolate and Macadamia Brownies
-American Pancakes
-Bagels
-Jammy Doughnut Muffins

All recipes I've tried are delicious and come out a treat every time, you'll never need another book for baking. Step aside Mary Berry, Nigella's treats are in town!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a couple of quibbles - but highly recommended, 21 July 2005
I do love this book! It's the idea of it you see, the warm envelope of baking smells on a cheerless day can do wonders for your self esteem. There are some real jewels of recipes as well: I love the marzipan rum fruit cake and the Norwegian cinnamon buns.
One caveat though: often as I've been following a recipe I think "Surely too many eggs here...", or "A 20cm springform tin - too small surely?" but I've kept to what was written only to end up with an insistantly eggy tasting creme brulee or a cake spilling out batter over the tin sides to the oven floor. Some things are overly sweet to my taste as well. But once you've tried something out you can tweak the recipe to suit your usual taste or substitute a larger cake tin.
All in all, definitely recommended - a nice well rounded and sometimes unusual collection of pure good mood food!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to get you into baking, 27 Aug. 2006
vivsy (rural hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I wasn't really into baking before I bought this book, but Nigella's gentle, coaxing prose and mouth watering pictures made me want to try out a few of the recipes rather than simply gaze at it.

Some of the recipes, such as the lemon loaf cake, have been repeat successes. Others, though, as another reviewer has mentioned, didn't work very well despite going against my natural instincts and measuring everything carefully. So I think you need to pick and choose carefully and if you are going to stun someone with your goddess-like domesticity then doing a few practice runs would be wise.

All in all though, it is pleasing to have books like this dedicated to the art of baking when it's so easy to pop to the shops and buy something ready made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Simply Wonderful, 3 Aug. 2007
I've had this book ever since it came out, but the only reason I'm writing this review now is because I feel the need to defend Nigella's recipes. Any person who says her recipes are 'guesstimates' either doesn't own this book or hasn't ever cooked from it.Of the 100+ cookbooks I own, this is the one I've used the most and have yet to come across a recipe that has failed. If you love to bake then you must have this book and if you love to cook, then it is imperative that you own all her books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 25 Jan. 2009
Peter Gosling (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Nigella Lawson's written style is colourful and ebullient and she coaxes you into trying these recipes like you're a close friend. But my word her oven is from a different planet to mine. I have tried her brownies, muffins, kuchen, various breads and biscuits from this book and ALL of them have needed dramatically longer cooking time (in some cases double). And this is in a variety of ovens, all with the same results. In fact, I have taken to annotating this book with my own temperatures and timings (as a general rule, notch the gas down slightly from her setting and add half as much cooking time again).

Newer editions may have amended this (they certainly fixed the error that had me making banana loaf in a 1lb tin rather than a 2lb), but judging from the scarily short cooking times Nigella gives for roast turkey in her new Christmas book, I doubt it.

That being said, the photography is a work of art on its own. Drool over this book, then go and make a Mary Berry instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it so much the cover fell off!, 26 Jan. 2007
Naomi Devlin (Bridport) - See all my reviews
I have had this book for about five years now - given to me by my cake loving husband. "Pah!" thought I, "I am already a domestic goddess!". However, to give Nigella her due, she is famous for a reason and she really does know baking. Even if you find her nauseatingly camp and simpering on television, she was always a journalist and this book is well written with amusing and useful comments throughout.

It's a great all round bible of cakes and biscuits with things to bake for all occasions, with children, for children, dinner parties, Christmas and a special chapter dedicated to chocolate - yum!. Nigella is a self confessed bodger and although this is not a desirable quality in a baker, the recipes give the impression that most people would be able to cobble up something resembling the illustration.

The accompanying photographs are just beautiful. Simple, stylish and mouthwatering. There are also some unusual recipes in there that even an accomplished baker like myself would find exciting and refreshing. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to whip a little something up in the kitchen to delight their family and friends. I have used my copy so often that the cover has fallen off.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking