Top critical review
3 people found this helpful
Detailed, If Somewhat Opinionated Analysis Of A Great Man
on 29 June 1998
Mr. Morris writes in a very fluent style, and appears to write a very balanced bio of T.R.'s first 40 or so years.
I couldn't help but notice the slight antagonism that he showed when giving an opinion over some aspects of T.R.'s motives, such as describing him as being a kind of megalomaniac or seeming to show some hypocrisy in criticizing certain types of hunting (the idea is that all hunting must be bad).
One of the main issues for me was when he alluded that T.R. was partially responsible for the premature death of his brother Elliot's wife, Anna. T.R. is portrayed here (and other places) as a kind of cold-hearted tyrant, keeping the poor, downtrodden Elliot from his beloved, forgetting the abuse he freely dispensed toward her.
I think that 80 percent of the book is five star material, the other 20 percent being the reason for the average rating. Readers wanting to get other perspectives on T.R.'s life should read "Theodore Roosevelt: A Life" by Nathan Miller, "T.R. - The Last Romantic" by H.W.Brands, or "Mornings On Horseback" by David McCullough. The latter will give you another excellent record of T.R.'s early life.
I would, however, definitely recommend this book for anyone interested in this multifaceted, energetic historical person.