Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 8 February 2012
An excellent, compact, guide to over 2000 species of fish you're likely to see whilst diving on coral reefs. Each fish is illustrated in colour, with pointers to key distinguishing marks. Brief text covers where you are likely to spot the fish, and describes its habitat and lifestyle. You're further helped with identification by the book's diagnostic notes on the fish's family (wrasse family, angelfish family, etc).

An extremely useful book that manages to pack tons of information into a small, easily carried, volume. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to identify fish in the Caribbean, Red Sea, Andaman Sea, Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Now in its third edition, I have taken the first version on every journey I've made to the tropics and it is still the first book I turn to to discover what I have just seen.
on 25 January 2010
I brought this book for a marine conservation project in Fiji I was going on and it was great. It's small enough to carry round with you and take on the boat and it contained all the species I came across and needed to identify. Since then I have also used it in other parts of the Indo-Pacific - Borneo, Australia, Kenya and found it very good.
on 26 October 2011
This guide is illustrated throughout with drawings, not photos, and as such is an excellent compliment to any photo guides that anyone might have. It is particularly useful for helping confirm identification where a photo guide might have a photo of one species of a family, but not the one seen.
on 7 August 2013
Nicely compiled compendium of species, broken up by region for ease of reference. Not yet found wanting, by me, identifying fish and other creatures seen and photographed on holiday.

Good illustrations populate the pages, although my only criticism is that they could be a little sharper.
on 28 September 2013
This was a gift for my boss's birthday. He was going abroad to do his padi licence . He thought the book was great.
on 3 October 2013
Can be a little confusing as there are two ways of grouping the same fish. Useful size to take on expedition.
on 4 September 2014
Bought this for a holiday in the Maldives, as I knew I'd be doing lots of snorkelling.

It's easy to use, and quite portable.
Images and descriptions are very good.

I can't really comment on the range of species covered - suffice to say that every 'interesting' fish I saw was in there.
on 17 December 2013
This is a great resource when trying to identify fish. It can be a bit difficult to match the "paintings" with your pictures or memory of a new fish seen as the colours and contrast can be different. However, with a bit of care it is the best book to add to your identification library.
on 13 December 2012
Really good book lots of very good pictures but if like me you just want to identify what you see on a snorkeling holiday, this is way too much. I also wanted to see coral and sea creatures etc. this is not included a shame but I would think for a serious diver this is one to get.
on 7 April 2014
Comprehensive but some of the pictures are quite poor making identification difficult at times. It is the same book as the Collins Guide, so buy the cheaper one (but not both!).