5.0 out of 5 stars The best place to start
This book is excellent if you like fantasy and I would recommend it to anyone. It is also the best one to read first because if you start with one of the other series you miss out on loads and well once you have read one you are going to have to read the others. Here are the books in order to help anyone who is new to Tamora Pierce.
(Alanna) Alanna the first...
Published on 16 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars An original, enjoyable book
This book is about a young girl named Alanna who swaps places with her twin brother, Thom so that she can become a knight. Unfortunately for Alanna, she must dress up as a boy. To begin with it wasn't very exciting and lacked action and adventure, but later on became more interesting and worth reading. Overall, this was an original and enjoyable book.
Published on 1 Nov. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The best place to start, 16 July 2001
By A Customer
(Alanna) Alanna the first adventure, In the hand of the goddess, The woman who rides like a man, Lioness Rampent,
(Daine) Wild Magic, Wolf Speaker, The Emperor Mage, Realms of the gods,
(keldry) First test, Page, Squire, Lady Knight - not out/written?,
Then there is the circle of magic quartet which are seperate to the others
The magic in the weaving ( Sandry's book), The power in the storm ( Tris's book), The fire in the forging ( Daja's book), The healing in the vine ( briar's book),
There are another four sequals coming out to the above.
As for Alanna the first adventure its a great book - read it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alanna: The First Adventure, 10 Oct. 2002
Marc McArdle (Carluke, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Alanna, by Tamora Pierce was a brilliant novel. It was exciting because you never knew what was coming next. It was the best book I've read in my life. The first two chapters were slow but from the third chapter onwards it was great. It was full of twists and turns, especially when she tries to hide her identity. Alanna has to toughen up when she goes to be a knight as well as improve on some other skills as well. I would recommend this book to anyone who is intrested in books like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, because it has all the qualities of a classic fantasy story and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 20 Jan. 2002
This book and the ones that follow it are mind blowing. The quality of writing is amazing. I am practically addicted. I would recomend this book to anyone who can read. I myself have read the series 10 times and written at least 5 book reports on it. Read it or lose a chance to truly unleash your imagination. The story is about a young girl called Alanna it is set in a time very like the Middle ages but in a different reality. Alanna disguises her sex to undertake the harsh training of a page the adventure has set a corse but what trouble awaits this stubbon girl read the book and find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly life-changing experience, 15 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
I have read all of Tamora Pierce's books that have been published in the UK, and they are all masterpieces. Comparisions with Harry Potter do not do them justice. The Harry Potter books were excellent, but these books are something else. I read Alanna the First Adventure for the first time when a friend recommended it to me when I was eleven. It drew me completely into the world of Tortall, and made my outlook on life totally different. Throughout the years since then, these books have given me happiness, helped me through bad times, and given me courage and strength. Any true reader will understand what a wonderful and rare gift a series that can do all that is, and all I can hope is that I will be able to write something that will do the same. I really believe I would have been a very different person without the influence of these books, and I think that every young girl should read them during her formative years, to give her self-confidence and moral guidance, and boys should read them to help them understand the female phsyce, and give them empathy. As well as all that, they are also a brilliant, funny, sad, exciting read, and i would recommend them to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Harry Potter!!, 14 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Alanna, the First Adventure (Song of the Lioness) (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book in 1989 - when I was still in primary school and as the heroine Alanna grew up, I grew up with her; book 4 was finally published when I was doing my GCSE's!This is one of those books that I think all young girls should read for entwined in a fantastic adventure story are real life lessons about striving for what you want in life.
Book one starts Alanna's adventure off as she enters her training to become a knight disguised as a boy, it is full of mystery, magic, great sword fights - better than Harry Potter for girls though it follows a similar format!! A must read - I have read and re-read this series of books (Song of the Lioness, of which Alanna is book one)countless times. A definite keeper!
Book 1 = Alanna - the First Adventure
Book 2 = In the Hand of the Goddess
Book 3 = The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Book 4 = Lioness Rampant.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT for girls who have strong opinions on....., 9 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
fro girls who have strong opinions on what they want and how they plan to get it
im lucky i picked up the 1st of kels books at my mates house and started reading i couldnt put it down that was ova a year ago and i still have it and i dont plan on giving it back its great...
i love the way tamora created such a strong willed character i love the way her relationship blossosm with myles and jon and george .i love the fact that real life problems come in to it as well(periods and breasts growing)
i love the ending it had a kinda cliff hanger which made me sream with fustration because i didnt have the next one but it took me a week to get it i read the whole of tamoras collection in 2 nights its that addictive so my advice to you is BUT this set at one time so u have all off them and dont have to wait for the next one
i love the kel collection as well oh well best be off
hope this convinces people to read tamoras books
*jacky*...

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that just blows you away!, 5 Aug. 2002
C (Teapot land) - See all my reviews
This stunning book captures any reader from the first page, with one of the most amazingly imaginative storylines and the greatest cast of characters ever, this book is impossble to put down. It is clever, funny and exciting, a must read for anyone of any age. The Alanna quartet is then anazingly equalled by the immortals quartet, and we wait with baited breath for the last in the protector of the small quartet. Every book written so far by Tamora Pierce is amazing, you can lose yourself in seconds. The adventures of Alanna, Kel, Daine and the rest of Tortall are indeed some of the greatest adventures ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars beginning of an obsession..., 21 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
I would just like to add my praise to this book, and all of the books Ms. Pierce has ever written. From practically the first page of Alanna, the first adventure, I was hooked, and have read nearly all of the books set in Tortall - I'm still waiting to get my hands on Page. Ms Pierce has achieved the almost impossible, written not just one book, but a whole series, that people of any age can enjoy. I'm a big fan of the harry potter series, but as my very battered copies of the Song of the Lioness series (i've had them for a good five or six years) and my slightly less battered copies of the wild magic quartet will attest (well, they are newer) these are still probably my favourite books of all time, no matter how often i read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantasy book about knights and sorcery in a medieval world, 13 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
Alanna: The First Adventure is one of my most favourite books. I have read it probably more than 20 times and still like it very much. It is the story how Alanna, who wants to become a knight, comes to the king's palace and has to dress as a boy. Despite all her problems with having to live as a boy, she makes friends with a lot of the other pages and also with George, the king of thieves. She has to fight against another page who bullies her, and finally has to fight against demons together with Prince Jonathan in the Black City. If you like fantasy stories set in a kind of medieval world, you will definitively like this book (and the whole series!).

3.0 out of 5 stars An original, enjoyable book, 1 Nov. 2000
By A Customer

Alanna, the First Adventure (Song of the Lioness)
Alanna, the First Adventure (Song of the Lioness) by Tamora Pierce (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Jan. 2005)