5.0 out of 5 stars A smart book for smart kids (and their parents)
Published on 2 Feb. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars the general condition was worst then expected
The seller promised this: Condition: Used - Very Good
*** QUALITY EX LIBRARY COPY***IN VERY GOOD GENERAL CONDITION***MAY HAVE SOME LIBRARY STAMPS,MARKINGS ETC. *** FAST DISPATCH *** BEST QUALITY *** VERY GOOD OVERALL CONDITION
but for the first time I was deceived, since I received a worn, teared and sunned (browning of paper) book
according to me it would...
Published 11 months ago by clafrab

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A smart book for smart kids (and their parents), 2 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
Like a previous reviewer, I decided to buy this book for my almost-5-year-old the second I looked at the illustrations (the Jackson Pollock page had me rolling in the aisles of the British Bookshop in Vienna). What I adore about this book and its sequel -- apart from the loving respect shown for Small People With A Will Of Their Own, and the sly humour that keeps grown-ups from rebelling at the 39th reading -- is the appreciation for the arts (ballet, painting, architecture, opera...) that Falconer manages to slide in. My daughter, an aspiring ballerina, painter and circus performer, finds a great deal of affirmation and support for her own little dreams in Olivia's adventures -- as well as a good conspiratorial chuckle, when she sees that she and her Mummy are not the only ones at odds over what's a better use of time, a nap or a good bounce on the bed. Just brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Olivia, the most fabulous little pig ever!, 21 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
I have bought this book and most of the others in the series for my strong-willed, ballet-loving little girl and she absolutely loves them. The illustrations are gorgeous and the text/storylines hilarious. Like Olivia, my little girl also feels that painting on walls is a perfect outlet for her artistic tendencies and views naps as a nice idea - but strictly for other people to indulge in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and clever in an understated way, 11 Sept. 2001
Andrius Uzkalnis (Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
My daughter adores it; maybe because she is much like Olivia, the endearing female piglet with ballet aspirations.
The best books for children are those not looking down on them, where humour is grown-up and where the writer is not afraid to talk to a child as an equal.
Limited to black and red, laconic colour scheme is very expressive and lets the child's imagination run wild.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Virginia, It Is True, Olivia is a Pig, 9 Aug. 2003
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
Olivia, Olivia, Olivia, my daughter-in-law's requests for books for my dear granddaughter. Ian Falconer vividly portrays Olivia as one of those pigs, um..er.. you would like to know. She is smart, creative,(draws on her walls as well as any unknown painter could), and articulate- she addresses her mother in full sentences and seems to know without a beat the questions her dear mother will ask. Olivia is without a doubt the best darn pig this side of the Mississippi. The pictures in Olivia are billiant- Olivia favors the color red. Olivia has it all, a storyline that will hook the mom and dad as well as the child, large print, easy to read, and an end to the story that invites another book to come..

5.0 out of 5 stars Original illustrations mark this as a new classic, 5 Feb. 2003
Emma Cochrane (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
Olivia will hit a note of familiarity with any young child or parent. Her behaviour, right down to the details (every morning she moves the cat, tries on every outfit in her wardrobe...) more reminiscent of a pre-schooler than a pig, has a ring of truth about it and this originally illustrated book (striking drawings in red, grey and black) gives it the feel of something a bit special.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best childrens' books I have seen., 21 April 2001
jacrodgers@lineone.net (Herne Bay, Kent England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my Grandaughter, Olivia aged 6. She is very much like the Olivia in the book and wears us all out. The illustrations are beautiful and the use of a limited colour palette makes them even more striking. Olivia has not only learnt about painters, but also how not to put on a pair of Mum's tights. Fabulous book for all to enjoy.
Jackie Rodgers

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly different, 13 July 2001
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my `Olivia' aged 4 last Christmas - it could have been written for her. Determined, flamboyant but above all wonderful. Although the illustrations are spartan - they are still full of expression and dramatic.. A lovely book even if it's not for an Olivia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant a pig with atttude, 3 Dec. 2000
Sue Haldemann (PASADENA, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant book about a little girl pig called Olivia. Olivia has style she goes to the ballet, musuems, and the opera. The art work is a delight. This book can be enjoyed on so many levels. When Olivia goes to the museum she enjoys the Degas painting, imaginging herself as a ballerina, but on being shown a Jackson pollock thinks she could do that her self.....and she does in her bedroom much to her poor mothers chagrin ! Its a hoot!

3.0 out of 5 stars the general condition was worst then expected, 10 April 2014
The seller promised this: Condition: Used - Very Good
according to me it would have been more fair to classify it as in Good condition
anyway me and my son (3ys old) didn't like the book that much, since it does not have a plot.
Illustrations are very nice though

5.0 out of 5 stars I giggled 'til I cried!, 1 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Olivia (Hardcover)
This is the most beautifully illustrated child's book. The first time I read it to my daughter I giggled until tears ran down my cheeks - of course she thinks it is the funniest too... Olivia is an accomplished artist, from the way she dresses to the way she interacts with her little brother. Ian Falconer has captured the very essence of childhood in print. Every parent will identify with Olivia. Reading "Olivia" to an insatiable child is as pleasurable as it is to be read to. I hope Ian Falconer publishes many more volumes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Olivia
Olivia by Ian Falconer (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2004)