5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out Laurel K Hamilton
Published on 1 April 2003 by PJ Rankine

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great
I have to say that I didn't really enjoy this book. I sometimes felt that the plot jumped or skipped over parts which I felt were important. It left me at times feeling a little bit disorientated.

Published on 7 Jun 2008 by katie-louise

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out Laurel K Hamilton, 1 April 2003
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tithe (Paperback)
Watch out Laurel K Hamilton, there's a new faerie on the block. Readers familiar with the tales of Meredith Gentry will love this new offering from Holly Black. I read this book today in its entirety, it was that good. Kaye Fierch is a teenaged girl who discovers that she is a changeling; a pixie switched with a human baby at birth, and emired in a plot to control the faerie court. Black deals skillfully with the heroine's angst at being brought up a human and a teenager at that and then dicovering that she is an immortal being with magical powers. Kaye never fails to evoke the reader's sympathy, she is a fully fleshed out character about whom you can really care and the author successfully portrays the depravity of the Unseelie Court without resorting to the colourful prose of Ms Hamilton which I sometimes find a little too near to the mark for the genre. I can't wait for the next one Ms Black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tithe, I couldn't put it down., 4 Oct 2002
Luke Murthwaite (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I finished reading Tithe at 12:07 a.m. and I loved it. Tithe was one of those books that I just couldn't put down. I started reading at about 6p.m. on Wednesday and didn't stop until 2:30 a.m. and yesterday I took the book everywhere with me so that I could take every available opportunity to read.
Tithe is so beautifully written and fantastically vivid. The story flows so smoothly, there was never a dull moment. I often find with books that towards the middle I get a little bored and start reading something else for a while, this didn't happen with Tithe.
Just to illustrate how much I enjoyed the book, I'm a BIG Star Wars fan. I have read every Star Wars book, which has been published since 1996, as soon as I could get my hands on a copy. Normally all other books get put on hold for Star Wars. The new Star Wars book arrived in the same package as Tithe. I haven't read a single page of the Star Wars book yet; I was far too engrossed in Tithe.
The only problem I have with Tithe is that I didn't really want it to end. I want to know more. I want to know what happens to Kaye and Roiben. I want to know more about Kaye's childhood with Spike, Lutie and Gristle (especially Gristle). I hope that the story of Kaye and Roiben will continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Imagery, Beautiful in General, 10 Feb 2004
S. R. Hall "kruxie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)
I think the most wonderful thing about this book is the picture that Holly Black paints in your mind's eye. It's so easy to see the faries and their queens, their courts and the magic that Kaye comes into contact with, but it is also easy to see the rotting seaside town, the old house of Kaye's grandmother, and everything about the teenagers that make up this novel. The teens are perfectly portrayed; their speech, their mannerisms, their dress sense, references to sex and eating disorders, and girly fall-outs over guys. There are raves and parties, not least at the beginning with Kaye's rockstar mother. And then, through all the beauty and realism of the decaying world around Kaye, we are dragged into the world of the faries...but, again, for all it's beauty, it's just another grim world.
It's a fantastic read that works so well, and is a marvellous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Faerie Tales I've Read, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)
I discovered this book when I was a freshman in high school. I checked it out at the same time as I checked out Francesca Lia Block's I Was A Teenage Fairy, also a book and author I would recommend highly.
Not only did I love the seamless flow of the story and the author's easy diction, I adored the similes that run rampant in this book. My personal favorite is when Kaye says, at sunset, that the sun looks like it slit its wrists and is bleeding orange all over the ocean. I mean, wow. A writer myself, I have a healthy respect for good description.
Though Black uses the same simile format throughout the novel, the images she draws have stuck with me. As a senior, after checking out the book numerous times over the years, I finally bought it and reread it (again), not putting it down until it was complete... at 4 o'clock in the morning. :-P
I have long been a fan of urban fantasy, but this is the best example I have come across. It has drugs, rock and roll, a pleasantly evil Faerie Queen, and a tall, handsome, mysterious stranger (Roiben of the White Hair... just read the book, you'll understand and be as jealous of Kaye as I am)... all in all, an amazing read that will grab you when you're not expecting it and leave you hungry for more at the end. (Don't worry, a sequal comes out this summer and I can't wait!)
I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who likes quality writing and an interesting twist on an antient tradition amongst the fey. The only way to truly appreciate the magic and beauty of this amazing book is to read it for yourself, so go to a library and check it out, you silly, silly mortals!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 7 Jun 2008
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)

There were moments of acute realism combined with faerie images and this was what originally attracted my interest in this book. The author's idea of realism obviously includes profanity, yet I felt she overdid it. There was a time when it was necessary to have your characters swear alot if they were to be portrayed as streetwise or worldly (or trying to be)but I think many writers now realise that only a small amount of profanity does the job, or works even better (what with it being more noticable).

Some of the images the author uses work - and sound great - but there is so many of them (in replace of a fantastic plot) that their effect is somewhat diluted. For me, a great book should sound effortless and this just appeared too 'trying too hard'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tithe and Charles De Lint., 24 Jun 2003
This review is from: Tithe (Paperback)
I found this book very enjoyable but it felt like I was reading another episode of a Charles De Lint Book, Jack of Kinrowan.
The characters and setting seemed so close that it could not be coincidence but maybe they are both based on older stories.
No complaints at all. As Charles De Lint is, without doubt, my favourite author it is good to have alternative similar offerings from other authors.
A simple story, maybe not quite a childrens book unless you want them to have nightmares.
If you like fantasy and Faerie it's well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, worth a read, 3 May 2009
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)
Tithe is a proper grimms style faerie story.

I really liked the plot and the descriptiveness, it allowed you to really picture what was going on without becoming boring. The angle on faeries was dark and chilling, and I went on to buy Ironside and Valiant (the rest of the series).

I didn't give it 5 stars because it sometimes assumed I would know what mythical creatures looked like and, I was irritated by the occasional(unnecessary) use of obscure wording.

As for target age group I would say mid teen - adult, it's really quite dark and not intended for small children.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, 19 April 2009
S. Fitzgerald (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)
Now I'm a big fan of fantasy books and romance books so I tend to look for books that entwined those themes and Tithe looked to be a promising story.

I'm 17 and can't help but come across various books every once and while that I feel are...well there's no other way to describe it but `dumbed' down and feature a lack of vocabulary. However, I'm not complaining! I don't expect much with the genre as they are usually targeted at younger audiences, but I felt Tithe fell especially short here.

Although once I managed to get over this factor I did enjoy the story, regardless of being a bit confused with the plot at point and how characters seem to switch from the `seelie' to the `unseelie' court, but it all made sense in the end.

The only major thing I would complain about is that I wasn't able to get fully involved in the romance until the last 20 pages. I don't know it was probably me but something there didn't quite hit it for me.

Despite my above criticism I still recommend it as a worthwhile read and I am just about to purchase Holly Blacks second book, Valient.

5.0 out of 5 stars fairy story with freshness and hard edged realisem for grown ups unwilling to give up on fairys, 17 Mar 2008
Ms. V. E. Rains "book fan" (rochester, kent, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) (Paperback)
i loved this book sick of the constent rewritting of the lord of the rings and having loved harry potter books and his dark miterals i was giving teen novels a go . i got this book on the strength of the spiderwick books that i had read to my god son and my fasination with fairys. it is hard edged and no fluffy kids book or thinly diskisd teen romance.It takes risks in showing teen the way thay are in the real world that makes the fairy word more real.At 35 i now i am not the targit for this book but i am very glade i gave this book a go and will be reading more holly black and taking chanses on teen fiction to see if i can find more of this freshness that i have been missing in fiction written for grown ups who crave fairy tails

5.0 out of 5 stars Tithe, 9 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Tithe (Paperback)
This is a great but hard going book. I'd recommend this book for teenagers, who are willing to sit down and read it. It contains swearing and sexual references. It is indeed a modern fearie tale, the story is exiting,I'd reccomend it anyday!

ARRAY(0xa68d54bc)

Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie)
Tithe (A Modern Tale of Faerie) by Holly Black (Paperback - 2 Feb 2004)
5.03