5.0 out of 5 stars America the Beautiful book
Published on 15 Dec 2004 by Robin Benson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
The book didn't have a pop-up of the Twin Towers, and I had expected to see one following reading the description. A piece of cardboard from one of the pop-up designs fell out when I opened the book, and I had no idea which page it had come from. Book returned and full refund given within two days.
Published on 13 Mar 2010 by SeasTheMoment

5.0 out of 5 stars America the Beautiful book, 15 Dec 2004
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: America the Beautiful (Classic Collectible Pop-Up) (Hardcover)
I have a couple of Richard Sabuda's gorgeous books, 'The 12 Days of Christmas' and 'The Night Before Christmas' and in my review of the last one I mentioned that I thought he had pushed to the limits what was possible with mass-market paper engineering but now having looked at 'America the Beautiful' several times I think perhaps the limit has been reached. This really is an impressive work!

The seven spreads provide a dazzling three-dimensional experience, the first showing the Golden Gate Bridge, cleverly uses printed plastic for the upright bridge wires, incidentally the bridge is also shown in 'The California Pop-up Book (ISBN 0789305003) and opens to a rather ambitious forty-one inches wide with thin string used to represent the wire uprights. Next the Great Plains has rows of crops, a farmhouse and a windmill, as you open the spread the silver paper windmill actually turns, the Mississippi River reveals a paddle steamer whose paddles create a spray made from some silver twine fixed on a plastic spindle, that again, turns as the spread is opened, the Statue of Liberty (the last spread) reveals a white Manhattan behind her and the Chrysler Building is clearly shown. It is this last spread where Sabuda gives us his usual 'extra', an additional ten page little book with the lyrics of From Sea to Shining Sea and four more pop-ups, one of which is the space shuttle Columbia.

If I have a criticism it is that perhaps there is too much happening. I liked 'The Night Before Christmas' because the pop-ups were basically a large moving item and smaller items that moved with it, in 'America the Beautiful' some of the spreads have individual pop-ups that don't always work as they should because they are not directly connected to the main item. Sabuda has, I think, slightly allowed for this by having a thick spine (almost two inches) to the book so that the paper engineering is not crushed and damaged when the book is closed. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of color, the pop-ups are white but the pages of the book are flat graphic colours, to me this suggests that this book, like the two Christmas books, are aimed at adults and their children rather than an obvious children's book.

Sabuda has had to interpret reality with this book and remarkable as it is I don't think it is quite as good as his two Christmas books where he treated mythical themes with such creativity and elegance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 May 2008
L. Bratchie "Lee McNeil" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not much of an expert on pop-up literature and I'm afraid I haven't seen one of Sabuda's books before but I put my hands on a copy today and was astonished at the marvel I beheld. This book is a miracle of paper engineering. The content was a little too patriotic of America for my tastes but it was still absolutely incredible to see what this artist had created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pop-up books for collectors, 25 Nov 2007
F. Pizzutelli - See all my reviews
It is so beautiful that adults will enjoy it as much as children. Every page is a work of art and a source astonishment and wonder! Don't be put off by the patriotic American title and theme - it's all about the pop-up!! You can travel with your imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars America the Beautiful, 25 Nov 2013
The artistic ability to create this book was amazing. I'd liked the idea of creating something of my own. I love this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 13 Mar 2010

America the Beautiful (Classic Collectible Pop-Up)
America the Beautiful (Classic Collectible Pop-Up) by Robert Sabuda (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2004)
19.98