5.0 out of 5 stars Such a moving, beautiful tale...
This must be one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. A story about outcasts, people who are different, and how you should never judge a person before you get to know them.
Published on 12 Feb 2005 by Marly Z

3.0 out of 5 stars Good!
I bought this book a few years ago and loved it and recently bought a copy for my friend, who also really enjoyed the book.

An interesting and easy read :)
Published on 14 Mar 2011 by AmyHarper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a moving, beautiful tale..., 12 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
The tale starts with Marnie Isherwood, who has just married Isake Isherwood (who is old enough to be her dad) to save her family, and escpae from the lies the boys at her old home used to tell about her. But married life isn't the bliss she had once dreamed of, and Marnie finds it so unbearable she prays to God to do something to make it stop, and when her husband dies in an accident the next day, she is distraught and runs to teh priest, saying she killed him. Of course, the preist makes her see sense and how it wasn't an accident, but the towns people, hearing her confess, will not forget about her husbands death and belive she was the one to cause it and not to be trusted. So Marnie becomes an outcast, met with hatred wherever she goes, but for the kind priest and the local madboy, Raven, whom she forms a specail bond with. It is only after a noisy night that would have awoken the heavens that Marnie finally realises why it is that Raven seems to mad to understand human communication and thought to be possessed by devils, because he can't hear!
The rest of the story tells of Marnie's attempt to communicate with Raven, their rudemantory sign launguage, and the townfolks widening distrust, now weaved with ideas that she is a witch, and in a time when witches were still killed if found guilty, Marnie falls into alot of danger.
It is not only teh story though that makes this such an unforgettable book. The author's writing style is perfect, giving a fluent, entertaining read, with so much descrcription and beauty, you could truly feel Marnie's pain, frustration, anger, worry, sadness and love, and fall in love with each of teh different charactors, whether it be the priest, Raven, or Marnie herself. The gpood charactors are so likeable, the evil ones easy to hate, and the story itself is faultless, and gives a depth rarely available in teenge books today.
The only things I was dissapointed about where not finding out what had happened to Marnie's dad to make him paralysed in the first place, and never knowing what Father Brannin had written to Marnie and Raven in teh book he gave them.
Beautiful story, must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, glorious book., 2 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
I read this book in a day, as it had me hooked so badly. You really, really care about both the main characters, and the fact that the village priest, during times when accusations of witchcraft were flown around, did not turn into "get thee behind me" stereotype. For once, the Church and Christianity in a medieval setting is treated with a sympathetic hand, rather then "they all burnt witches then" mentality. I wish I had a priest like Father Brannan.
They story of Marnie and Raven, and their increasing closeness is believable; at times I found myself smiling and going "aww..." at their interactions, but this book isn't a Mills & Boon style romance. Infact, I'd say the romance of the book is second to the main theme of both their otricising from the village they live in.
Also the themes of bigotry, isolation for seeming different and small narrow minded thinking still are, sadly, relevent for today. A wonderful book, which I've already thrust into a friend's hand to read. You should to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well thought out novel, 27 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
As a deaf person, I identified fully with the frustration that Raven felt in trying to communicate with people and give full marks to Sherryl Jordan for her well thought out research in making the novel come alive and to show that the social exclusion of outsiders in the novel's historical setting can very much be in evidence today. Strong all round suspense lift this novel above many that I've read and doesn't sursprise me that Sherryl Jordan is an award winning novelist in her native New Zealand.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Raging Quiet, 15 May 2003
Georgie (Ivygridge,Devon,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
This book if full of suspense and anguish, it breaks your heart to know that stories, like this, did once really happen. This tense novel is about a teenage girl and her battle to survive after her father is paralysed, through marring a lord, him dieing, her befriending a deaf, mad by the villages terms, and by making other mysterious choices she is branded a witch, but can finding a small fortune help? This heart rendering book set in the middle ages really is a must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars The themes of communication make "The Raging Quiet" recommendable, 27 April 2009
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
Really "The Raging Quiet" deserves 4 stars. It is a wonderful story with serious thoughts of communication or lack thereof, prejudice and superstition. All together a beautiful novel. However, already a few weeks after reading the novel, the storyline fades to become a very distant memory, but on the other hand the themes stand out.

"The Raging Quiet" is the story of Marnie, who marries a much older man and moves to an remote and wretched homestead with him. He dies almost immediately and Marnie is all alone. The only people she has contact with is the priest and the town loon, who turns out to be deaf. The romance is beautiful and not over the top.

"The Raging Quiet" is about Marnie teaching the town loon (Raven) a kind of sign language. It is about being alone amongst strangers. It is about misconceptions and quick opinions based on eavesdropping and superstition. And it is these themes that make "The Raging Quiet" a recommendable read.

Ok, 4 stars it is.

Louise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and gripping, 9 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
I bought this book because it was on somebody's listmania list and I liked all their other books. I've been on jury service this week - which involves a lot of sitting around doing nothing; I brought the book with me to pass the time, and it certainly did. I was drawn in very quickly and felt a lot of sympathy for the characters. At one point the book was so gripping I was actually disappointed when they told us we could go home for the day - I wanted to stay and finish the book! I thought the writing was beautiful and the plot was very moving and believable. I'm going to pass it on to my fourteen year old daughter now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Raging Quiet - The best book i have ever read, 19 Jan 2008
Cassie Wright (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
This is in fact the best book i have ever read in my life. This may seem like a bit of an over statement but it really is. It is so fantastically written that i wish i could meet the author so i could ask her what happened to the characters after the book ends.
I brought this book about 6 years ago and have read it over and over and have recently read it again and it is still fantastic.
YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!
I won't bother giving you an overview of the plot because everyone else has done that but if your looking for a REALLY good read, you won't be able to put this down.
Happy reading :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible. Absolutely wonderful., 10 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
I read this a while ago, but it is one book that is always at the top of my recommendations list. It is also perhaps the quickest book I've ever read. I sat down one Sunday and couldn't tear myself away. I was literally impatient for the next word.

It is a beautiful book, and is by - what I term - an 'honest' writer; a writer who has the ability to bring a magical tale to life, which really captures the audience, but equally, does not manipulate or contrive situations to bend to the plotlines. For example, in one scene, Marnie is charged with being a witch. Now, in some books, there would be an elaborate escape or loophole in the justice system that allows the character to be free. In this book, Jordan doesn't do. Marnie is convicted and must face the trial - of hot pokers in her hands. The only concession for the character, is that her friends try and make the consequences less painful.

This is a book I wholeheartedly love and is in my top ten of all time. I cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!!, 2 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
When I first picked up this book I did wonder what it was all about, the sypnosis was vague and the cover revealed even less. However, having read another book by the same author I bought the book and started to read. I immediately got rapped up into this book, I read it straight through pretty much reading it the whole night I was that addicted.
The tale is about one girls life in a new place and how she adapts. It is set in old-time England where people were blaming the many wild things happening on witches, devils and demons. The main charater is actually blamed for being a witch after her new husband dies in a storm. Her life becomes secluded with only the village priest who regularly brings her food. The tale goes on and she makes friends with the village 'demon', who it turns out, is actually deaf. A life begins to set into order, however things still go wrong.
I'll let you read the book now, without actually spoiling it for you. Needless to say, it is a great book, and well worth buying and reading.......over and over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, a must read!!!!, 20 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Raging Quiet (Paperback)
This book was so heartwarming, and inspiring. Set back in medieval England, Marnie is bribed into marrying someone she doesnt love. She moves away from her family to live with this persistent husband, but when he tradgically dies, she is still not alone. The village raver trys to befriend her. He only rambles and screams and does not make any sense of speech. Marnie realises he is deaf. They make their own language so they may communicate between them. The villagers dont understand and they think Marnie is suspected of witch-craft.
This is such a moving story of two outsiders. They only understand each other. It really inspired me to look deeper into people. I love this book and reccommend it highly to both teens and adults!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa6b42960)

The Raging Quiet
The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan (Paperback - 3 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01