on 18 May 2009
I managed to see Debbie Reynolds in concert while recently on vacation in Las Vegas. As a result of the stories she told in her act I found myself wanted to know more. The book was extremly insightful not only regarding her own career but also that of her peers and family. the story was told in a comedic manner which i enjoyed and really gave you an insight into her personality. My only negative thought was that it needs to be updates as it was oublished back in 1989.
I would recommend this book to anyone.
Debbie Reynold's 1988 autobiography is the exciting, chaotic, manic, whirlwind story of her show biz career and her rocky personal life. Her childhood was spent in relative squalor in Texas during the Depression, then she won a beauty pageant as a teenager; the first prize was a screen test and the rest is history. One needn't be a big fan of Debbie's to enjoy the book - I only read it because I bought it for a penny - but it is so well-written and so full of dramatic highs and lows that I think most people would enjoy it.

I felt as though I grew up with Debbie via the pages of "Photoplay" magazine, but his memoir tells the real story behind the red carpets and glossy photos. She pulls no punches concerning her marriages to Eddie Fisher and Harry Karl as she vents all her hatred toward her first two husbands. Her long career as an actress and entertainer is described in detail and her friends were the Who's Who of Hollywood's golden age.

This life story is a real page-turner; I couldn't put it down. It would make a terrific movie, but who could ever match Debbie's boundless energy and timeless appeal? Highly recommended.
on 9 February 2015
From her tomboy beginnings to her becoming Hollywood's sweetheart. It details her first love Robert Wagner, her marriages to Eddie Fisher and Harry Karl. Gosh, she really picked them with those last two!

She talks plenty about her films too and some of her costars. Shelly Winters seemed quite a one!

She does talk about her children and some of the trials she faced while trying to raise them and maintain a career. How Harry Karl disastrously inserted himself into their lives through all this due to his persistance. Carrie's decision to become an actress and her living in England and much more.

I was warmed by the closing of the book and how she seemed to have found somebody, only to check how they were doing now on the internet and nearly fall out of my chair.

It's difficult to rate it out of 5. It's between 4 and 5 stars, but I'd feel a bit mean giving 4. I will definitely be reading Unsinkable: A Memoir at some point.
on 16 November 2012
I had previously read Eddie Fisher's autobiography.Now i have had a chance to read the other side of the story.Both clearly nurtured long held grudges against the other.I have to say that i tend to believe him rather than her as his explanations come over as more plausible.When you go on to her second marriage her views seem at odds with the realities.Karl regarded her as a trophy wife.she clearly had no physical attraction to him.she married him only because of the fact that he had lots of money.So when it all went wrong she really had no one to blame but herself.Too much of this book is spent trying to justify her actions and is thus self serving.Fisher on the other hand admits his bad ways but has the grace to admit his mistakes.I therefore regard it as the better of the two books.
on 13 January 2013
Debbie is an autobi on the actress's life, I don't want to give away too much as the book is brilliant read
on 16 January 2015
Book received was not a clean book in fact it was quite grubby. My wife said she didn't want to use it?
on 7 September 2010
A hard to obtain book which was found at an attractive price and delivered promptly