on 6 July 1998
I like this book, cause it gives great reasons to be fit and in shape, for all kinds of people (dancers, dancer wanna-be's, and non-dancers alike) It also gives lost of quotes from different dancers on their different points of view and stradegies on how to maintain a good healthy diet and physical workouts, whether that be ballet or some other kind of workout. The great thing about this book is that there are diets that are very healthy and filling, and if one can follow them successfuly than one would be sure to drop a few pounds.
The only problem that I have with this book is that it is at times contradictory of what alot of the new nutritional values are, and at times it seems to me that what some of the dancers suggest, contains an underlying tone of anorexia. But hey it was written in 1984--over 10 yrs. ago, so what do ya expect?!
on 31 July 2006
I was a bit skeptical about buying a dieting book for dancers, as I know how severe the pressure is for dancer to be thin and figured all books would promote and/or encourage anorexia. I was thrilled when reading this book as it strongly advised against anorexia and gave some wonderful facts on dancers losing weight.

I am a dancer who has always struggled with her weight. I can't stand eating salad and fruit 24/7 as I am a sucker for cakes and soft drink. The example weekly diet in this book has such a variety of foods to choose from and not just salad.

This wonderful book starts off by explaining to the reader just what being a ballerina is like... the pressure, the training, constant criticism, etc and why they have the need to diet. The author does a fantastic job in getting across the real reason dancers need to be thin - perception of gracefulness in performance and scrutiny in front of mirrors during class.

I have tried fad diets and all types of things. I always thought a low carb diet would be best, but being a dancer, I need energy and the best source of which is carbohydrates. This is the first and only diet I have ever actually seen that encourages eating carbs!

It allows you to still eat certain foods that you like. Ie: chocolate brownies, cakes and even soft drink. Even though these things may be the low fat or diet versions, it still allows you to have them based on the amount of calories you are eating per day - just like weight watchers.

Another great thing is that is gives you recipes to a lot of the meals mentioned in the diet plan. Not only that, but because dancers are always on the move and don't have much time to prepare meals, these recipes are simple and quick to make.

Overall, a MUST HAVE book for any dancer... not only to help them lose weight, but as a reference for the kinds of foods dancers should and should not be eating!
on 4 January 2012
The book is filled with sensible and usable advice, and both the weight reduction and weight maintenance diets are used by me on regular basis and score very high on practicality, ease and results. Some of the nutritional values stated in the book are a bit imprecise, but this can be easliy remedied with an up-to-date calorie counter. Another thing I altered is, I excluded the red wine with dinner (as I don't drink at all), eliminated diet coke, and substituted a non-bread option of a similar caloric value where possible (not a fan of bread). I also suggest drinking your tea/coffee with a bit of cinnamon, as that works very well for controlling hunger and stabilising blood sugar (tested many times without fail). In winter, coffee with cinnamon, cloves and a (tiny!) pinch of cayenne pepper is pretty nice too, but not on empty stomach, of course.
As for the cross-training suggestions in the book, I find that running and biking are too harsh to be used on regular basis, so I do yoga instead.
I would highly recommend the book to anyone, dancer or not.
on 23 April 2007
This book is excellent in pointing out any diet can work, it's discipline that makes it work. The book then encourages the discipline needed to achieve success. It also gives wise advice about the use of weighing oneself and the unhelpfulness of slavery to the scales.

Don't be fooled by the old fashioned pictures, I have found it's advocacies to be entirely up to date with modern science on dieting.