5.0 out of 5 stars The book on the reformation I enjoyed best reading., 8 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Abingdon Classics) (Paperback)
I read this as a medical student dabbling in Theology for my degree many years ago. I found it enormously readable, intertwining Luther's theology and writings with the exciting events of his life. A great read and definitely the book I enjoyed reading the most studying the Reformation.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of many Martin Luther biographies, 1 April 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am reviewing the 1950, Mentor Books Fifteenth Printing.

This book is well laid out. Much of the material is in lecture form. There are twenty-two content headings, 12 page Bibliography, References, Source of Illustrations, and comprehensive Index. The illustrations are just that monochrome sketches.

Roland H. Bainton received an A.B. degree from Whitman College, and B.D. and Ph.D. degrees form Yale University and form Oberlin College, Dr. Theological Seminary and from Oberlin College. He is a Specialist in Reformation history.

There are many biography and reference books on Martin Luther, each with its own strength s and weaknesses. This one by Roland H. Bainton is pretty comprehensive and goes into more depth than most. Do not get out your highlighter or you will highlight every page.

This is the story of a religious leader who is well known for leading the Protestant Reformation. "I cannot...I will not...Recant! Here I Stand."

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating piece of history, 12 Jan. 2014
This biography depicts the charmed life that Martin Luther lived. He was the exception who broke with Rome and lived to tell the tale. And what a tale. And what a legacy. And that he eventually married and was father to some seven children. This publication is a must for anyone interested in the origins and spread of Protestantism. Highly recommended.

Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Abingdon Classics)
Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Abingdon Classics) by Roland H. Bainton (Paperback - 8 Nov. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01