5.0 out of 5 stars Humanistic source of motivation for life change
This became a major best-seller, highly influential in both management and personal development circles. Covey's seven habits are fairly obvious, fairly simple, yet are lost in the morass of hype and counter-hype his book provoked.
Covey looked at the characteristics of the successful, reducing these to seven principles, seven good habits that successful people...
Published on 31 Dec 2004 by Budge Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for being efficient, poor for finding true happiness
When I first got this book, I worked for a large company and I thought this books principles principles greatly improved my productivity.
Now I work for myself and have time to consider things more thoroughly, I realised that this book was partly responsible for me making myself thoroughly miserable.
It's fine to be an "effective" person - but what...
Published on 29 Jun 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Guidance....isn't that why you read the book in the first place?, 24 July 2009
Neeraj Malhotra (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
I'm not sure I entirely agree with some of the reviews. The way I see it is that even if reading a third of the book makes even a slight improvement in your life, then it's time well spent. Try not to go in with the mindset of getting 7 habits that are going to completely change your life...instead look at it as yet another method of teaching you different concepts that you knew existed, but didn't know you could apply to certain scenarios in life.

It's complicated in bits, but simple in others....I'm thoroughly enjoying it....but if you're not, then it's definitely not the content. Probably, the style in which it is written, so just try something else :o) I don't think the book is preachy or patronising in any way, neither do I think it makes your life a misery if you decide to adapt your life according to the book. It's just an inoffensive book attempting to get the reader to look at things "inside-out" using good "principles" and a balanced view of achieving what you want to achieve. Didn't give it 5 stars because I think it might just be a tad too lengthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an E-Z read., 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
For a personal change book, I found it rather a hard read. The book to me is, well, complicated. The seven habits make sense and all, but the whole process seems to involve making layers of change, with each layer being a whole book in itself. Not a very quick read, and I'm not saying its not worthwhile and all, it's more a book that you have to be willing to work with. Readers who like less sophisticated personal change books might enjoy The Sixty-Second Motivator.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Book!, 21 Jan 2005
Scott Rennie (Kilmarnock, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
Inspiring, insightful, clear and methodical all at the same time. Stephen Covey's system is grounded in a sound long-term approach to life management. He does not promise a quick-fix - in fact, states specifically that it may take you a very long time to work out the core issues around which you build your life. And it's true! I reckoned I knew these at the time of reading it, but now, several years later, realise that I didn't. A lot of work to be done to follow this sytem, but a worthwhile one to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars An invitation to read the book, 22 Nov 2007
I read the book some years ago. It seemed to make sense but didn't stick by me. However, when you hear Covey and his stories, it is more convincing then print. When I have the time I'll pick the book up again. Covey's voice and tone are not the most entertaining but the clear presentation of ideas and his stories make up for this.

This isn't an audio book. It is more like a speech with some comments and music in between to cut it up in chapters. If I buy an audio-book it's because I want to hear it while doing other stuff. The CD contains one track of approx 70 minutes. Several tracks would be better, so it would be easier to pick up where you left.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOn't bother, 1 Dec 2012
No thought given to the quality of this product or useability. No division into chapters, so if you stop the cd, you have to go back and listen to it from the start. I'm a great fan of the book, but this doesn't add to it and the voices aren't good recording voices. NO thought given to the customer - just a money making idea for them. Wished I hadn't bought it. Very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and arbitrary, 9 Jan 2014
Nik Silver (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
I stopped reading this book after a couple of chapters. The best I can say about it is that it is well-meaning and mistitled.

I would have been very interested in a book which surveyed successful people (CEOs? Millionaires? People who rate themselves has the most happy?) and drawn out their common habits. In book entitled "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" I would have expected the approach to be (i) identify the successful people, then (ii) identify their habits.

That is not what this book does.

What this book does is this opposite: (i) identifies some habits that the author likes, then (ii) finds some successful people who exhibited those habits. It is post-justification of the author's prejudices. It's not as if the same successful people are used consistently throughout the book. He cherry picks anyone who exhibits his ideas, then doesn't bother with them again if they don't demonstrate any of his other ideas.

So it's not at all enlightening. Anyone can think up some laudable ideas and find some successful people who exhibit them. And you don't need to limit it to seven habits. You can pick any arbitrary number.

For example, I think some really important habits are (a) own an army, (b) wear a loincloth, and (c) don't worry about your hair. I think every head of state has an army, so that's my point (a) proved. The great leaders Gandhi and Jesus wore loincloths, so that's point (b) proved. And both Albert Einstein and Russell Brand clearly don't give a damn about their hair, so that's my point (c) dealt with.

Actually, I might turn that into a book...

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is a classic, 27 April 2008
R. P. Le Blanc "Avid Reader" (Maarheeze, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is a classic. If you have never read this book, do so now. For your convenience it's available in print and audio. Just pop a cassette into the car's player and you can be rewarded with some of the best advice ever presented. Turn your commute into a classroom.

This book was first published in 1990, but remains a favorite with business leaders. The author tapped into a basic principle; namely that success is a result of both personal and professional effectiveness. These pages systematically show how to achieve this level of productiveness in both areas through what he calls a "paradigm shift". That merely refers to changing your perception of how the world works. The author challenges the reader to make this shift by highlighting key areas, like time management and positive thinking. Once this change has taken place, the person is then ready to climb the corporate ladder with confidence.

Building on the premise that change comes from within, this book has the potential to solidly impact the reader's life and workplace. But, it's not a quick fix. These concepts will take time to understand and master. It's recommended that this book be read slowly, allowing the principles to be fully understood before moving to the next one. In fact, to fully apply these concepts may take years. Yet, that's not a negative aspect of the author's work. Stephen Covey realizes that success is not an overnight happening; it comes in stages and by degrees. Yes, it can be painstakingly slow, but when it comes, it's here to stay.

The title mentions "habits" and that's important. A habit is something that develops over time. Successful businesspeople comprehend the necessity of thinking the right thoughts to bring about the right kinds of decisions. Covey demonstrates this through anecdotes as well as concise writing. The entire idea of being stuck in a negative mode of perception will be a startling revelation to readers, but more importantly is the author's advice on moving beyond that obstacle. There is a good amount of psychology presented in these pages, all of which is incredibly useful in bringing about effective changes.

These seven habits are fully explained, and yes, you may need to slow down to capture their full meaning. The first three habits deal with personal responsibility, leadership and self-management. Granted, these are huge areas to deal with, but once again, if the author's words are taken in small segments, they can bring about amazing results. To the author's credit, he's able to take these larger issues and present them within the framework of everyday occurrences. This sets the ideas more firmly in the reader's mind by associating them with real life scenarios.

This holistic approach makes a lot of sense, but you will need time to fully master it. As the author explains, success and effective leadership is not something that will come to you without an investment of time. The formula for enduring success is right here in these pages; study it, apply it and watch the incredible results.

Raymond Le Blanc. Psychotherapist & economist
author: Achieving Objectives Made Easy! 978-9079397037

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - I still refer to it 12 years on, 25 Mar 2009
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
I read this book back in 1997/98. Its impact on me was immediate and made total sense. It resonated with how I saw myself and gave me the motivation to start a new journey to overcome my depression and relate better to people. It brought me back to my Christian Faith by properly studying the Bible. 12 years on, the journey continues and my depression only lingers, popping up every now and again.
I still reflect on the 7 key principles to this day. And I still have much work to do on Habit 5 : "Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood"

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Read - but worth it!, 17 Jun 2007
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
Covey has created a book that should be offered to everybody at school. Within it he sets out what he sees as being the 7 habits that everybody should follow:

1. Be proactive

2. Begin with the end in mind

3. Put first things first

4. Think win win

5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood

6. Synergize

7. Sharpen the saw

You will see from the above that the first three habits are focused on the self (moving from Dependance to Independance), whereas the next three are focused on working with others (Independance to Interdependance). Interdependance is where Covey sees the greatest benefit from all Highly Effective people.

Habit Seven, Sharpen the Saw, is the self renewal required to maintain a healthy and successful lifestyle.

Covey states that he is aiming to "restore the character ethic". He visits the understanding of paradigms, and the necessary paradigm shifts that are required in life.

This book is full of useful tools, such as the time management quadrant system which will be explained later in an article on this website.

Overall, we would recommend buying this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars An Hour Long, 29 April 2005
This is not the book on Audio CD as Amazon claims. This is an hour long 'presentation' that touches on the fringes on the book and should not be sold as the book. An hour of reading takes you to about 100 pages of a book so there is a lot missed out here. Maybe me writing this has made me 'Highly Effective', but I doubt it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey (Paperback - 4 Jan 2004)
8.39