5.0 out of 5 stars Humanistic source of motivation for life change
This became a major best-seller, highly influential in both management and personal development circles. Covey's seven habits are fairly obvious, fairly simple, yet are lost in the morass of hype and counter-hype his book provoked.
Published on 31 Dec 2004 by Budge Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for being efficient, poor for finding true happiness
When I first got this book, I worked for a large company and I thought this books principles principles greatly improved my productivity.
Now I work for myself and have time to consider things more thoroughly, I realised that this book was partly responsible for me making myself thoroughly miserable.
It's fine to be an "effective" person - but what...
Published on 29 Jun 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanistic source of motivation for life change, 31 Dec 2004
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Covey looked at the characteristics of the successful, reducing these to seven principles, seven good habits that successful people generally demonstrate. Developing good habits is an advantage: by definition, if they are 'good' habits, they do you good. Brian Clough, the football manager, used to insist that his players learned good habits, that they learned to do the basics, the simple things well; once they could trust themselves to do the basics, then they could progress to try the novel, the special, to inject that little spark of genius which would win the game.
But Clough was talking about football, and doing what was necessary to win the game. Covey talks about successful people. You have to keep asking, what constitutes 'successful'? Becoming rich? Or being happy, contented, in harmony with the world and the people around you?
Covey suggests you choose your own definition of success. You set your own goals. And, the first thing you have to do is believe that you can change your life. Covey's principles, then, become the yardsticks by which you both measure change and motivate yourself to change - you decide on the good habits Brian Clough demanded, and get into the habit of doing things which will aid your change.
Covey, however, relates change and success to quality of life - although his book has often been seized upon as a manual for business success and profit. He says there is no easy way to achieve change. It requires work - and requires that you develop new, good habits while eradicating old, bad ones. It's a simple, logical piece of self-motivation, but it does require you to sit back, analyse your life, and work at change. Covey does not provide a quick fix.
He argues that we need to work with others, respect others, show tolerance, and value the rights of others. This is not a recipe for get-to-the-top regardless. Covey identifies the need for values and a moral commitment, for a spiritual aspect to your life. He spends the first 50-60 pages emphasising this.
He then identifies the seven habits - be proactive, he says. Believe, go, do. Don't put off or make excuses. Get in the game and try. You can change your world. Set yourself goals, achievable goals, taking a step at a time towards them. Don't rush ahead, 'put first things first'. And so on.
Covey provides a recipe for self-motivation and goal setting, and he argues for a holistic approach, for mind, body, the spiritual side being in balance, for working with your partner, family, friends, colleagues, community. It's the harmony and the spiritual which often get cast aside as go-getters try to rush ahead.
What Covey presents is simple enough. He writes with purpose and with passion, and it's a very easy book to pick up and begin to absorb, with lots of practical messages as well as theoretical ones. Essentially, however, you have to believe that your life needs to change and that change is possible. Thereafter, Covey will provide inspirational messages and encouragement to develop new, better habits.
It's a book which is worth reading, but disregard the hype and use it as a basic means to analyse your own life, lifestyle, hopes, aspirations and potential, and appreciate that Covey is at his best when he asks questions - you are the one, ultimately, who has to come up with the answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Might change your life – or sit on the shelf, 23 Jan 2006
This is a powerful guide to self-improvement. The "habits" are common-sense: be proactive, or "seek first to understand, then to be understood". The writing is clear, presenting each habit in a way which is easy to apply to oneself. If you're looking for a self-help guide to living a more focused, targeted life, you can hardly do better than this.
The downside is that this is a massive, densely-written book. Just reading it, let alone internalising and acting on it, is a major project. Many readers will dip into it; lose interest; and let it gather dust on the shelf.
Summary: excellent self-improvement guide, won't work for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, packed full of insights. A really good read., 30 Dec 2000
Alan J. Stedall "yoss_uk" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
I first picked up this book on a news-stand on flying back from the U.S. I found its contents so engaging and enlightening that I had read it cover to cover by the time I got back to the UK. Covey is direct and honest in identifying why we fail to make the most of our lives. He is also honest in telling us that there is no such thing as a "quick fix"; that we have to work on founding our habitual behaviours on a sound set of fundamental principles if we are to get the best out of ourselves and our fellow men/women.
I ended up buying a copy of the book for each of my fellow directors and my first line managers. Most read it and found it very useful. Some read and found it revolutionary. Some didn't bother to read it at all. In casting seed, some will always fall on stony ground.
My only criticism of the book is its title: "highly effective people". Covey doesn't really take time out to define exactly what he means by an "effective person". And without this definition it does indeed sound like he is out to create an exploitative army of principle-based, robots. However, I consider the title very misleading. It doesn't do the book justice and is rather too delimiting when applied to a profound, yet simple, philosophical work capable of changing one's outlook on life, in or out of the work-place.
I would recommend this book to anyone with a genuine hunger to improve their lives and a willingness to engage on this on-going mission in a thoughtful and consistent manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer, 22 Dec 2004
S. E. Cook (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First off im the kind of person who looks at reviews like this (normally) and thinks, yeah right! What a load of rubbish probably just the same old stuff.
I have purchased many books/CDS etc off Amazon but I have never written a review. In fact I dont think I have ever written a review on anything!
However this book deserves my comments. Are you happy in life? Most people will say yes but I believe that most of us are not, at least not a happy as we could be.
This books helps you find your own motivations and principles, it questions them and it helps you fix them, it helps you to live.
This is the most useful information I have ever digested, the content is more useful than any qualification or training course I have ever attended.
I would put this book on the national curriculum if I could.
Read it and see you cant go wrong for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Covey's Four Quadrant!, 10 Jan 2008
Ms. Ke Jewitt "SkillKick Limited" (England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
This is must-read and a book that you will want to keep on your bookshelf and re-read time and time again. Its crammed full of interesting stories, reflection and guidance on life. Seven habits of highly effective people teaches so much and provides a brilliant lesson on how to achieve what you want out of life and how to get the most out of life. I found it life-changing and it had a big impact on me. I particularly liked advice on time management and how to plan your time daily. He provides some excellent templates to copy.One example - Covey talks of a four quadrant to-do list. He talks of how we spend so much of our time doing things because they are due tomorrow but not important. thus the important stuff gets left behind. He advises to plot your to-do list in a four quadrant table - (1) important and due soon, (2) important and due later (3) unimportant and due soon (4) unimportant and due later.
Plot everything you have to do in this order and ensure that you carry out tasks in numerical order. This means you'll always do what is important to you first!
Covey's advice can apply to everyone.
Read this book, it will change your life forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches Proactive, Positive Discipline, 12 May 2004
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
With all of the self-help books out there, why is this one business schools, seminaries and high school students read? Why "Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People"? What does Stephen Covey have to say that differs from Spencer Johnson, Phil McGraw and John Gray?
In some cases, what Covey says they all say. The biggest difference is the process, not the method. Covey's "Seven Habits" are like eating right during the gestation of your baby. The short-term results are hard to realize, but the foundation for good health are laid. Follow what Covey says, and in the long-term, you will be highly effective.
Covey starts with explaining that the first step isn't external, but internal. It isn't just that Covey is trying to get you to feel good about your abilities. Instead, he wants you prepared for the hard work the seven habits will require. In fact, Covey deplores the cheap 'character ethic' method, noting it evolved away from character, and more into quick-fix influence techniques.
He separates influence and character, and wants the reader to know influence without character is not good. "Only basic goodness gives life to technique." The book is not a lesson in technique.
The Seven Habits are divided into chapters:
1- Be Proactive
2- Begin with the End in Mind
3- Put First Things First
4- Think Win/Win
5- Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
6- Synergize
7- Sharpen the Saw
Covey, despite how it is a management and professional growth book, has also written a personal growth book. It is not a relationship book, as in the sense John Gray writes, or a weight loss book, like Dr. Phil writes. Fans of "Who Moved My Cheese" by Johnson will connect. Though Covey won't charge at the reader by asking him to repeat a mantra of "I think I can. I think I can," he does show the reader the ways of realigning their perspective, their goals and their strengths for the greater good of both the reader, and those he interacts with.
I fully recommend "Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey.
Anthony Trendl

4.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as bad as you might expect, 18 Nov 2006
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Paperback)
I was coerced into reading this as part of a corporate training scheme: it was presented to me as "the management self-help book it's OK to like". Well I have read it, and, largely, I do like it. Yes, the author is reminiscent of a 19th-century itinerant evangelical who wants to save your soul and yes, his slightly pompous tone does more than once teeter over the edge into apparent self-parody ("I became her student, her learner... I could begin to see out of a new paradigm the whole way a Jedi Knight's basic philosophy in training is manifested in different circumstances") - but the fact is, he wants you to take control of your life, honour your commitments to others and try and do your particular thing better than you do it now. And, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, if everyone took this message seriously, the world would indeed be a better place.

So two and a half cheers for Prof. Covey. But I don't recommend you tell your spouse that you regard your most intimate moments with him or her as "key Quadrant II activities".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summary of a manual for life, 8 May 2005
By A Customer
I am busy and therefore did not find the time to read the book. As a Consultant Psychiatrist I was readily able to follow the concepts alluded to and found them refreshingly simple. The folksy Americanism of the presentation can be grating but again that becomes less of an issue with time. I have recommended this to many patients who uniformly have found it of benefit to some degree. Having listened to the CD on several occasions I find my understanding has deepened to the extent that I regularly use the concepts in treatment (always giving Covey credit for his easy conceptualisations). Most people who need to read this book do so at a time when they are less receptive to reading and have less time on their hands therefore sticking it into the CD or tape player in their car to and from work allows the passive absorption of seriously good stuff.
If you are not prepared to honestly go about the changes suggested in this CD maybe this is not for you. If you want to hide from the realities of your choices and mistakes then avoid this. If you are prepared to embrace a set of sensible principles then this presentation is for you. The best money you will ever spend!

5.0 out of 5 stars filled with important information, 2 Dec 2007
Not that I'm an expert in the subject, but I'm guessing that this isn't your typical success book. In many ways it's a general purpose psychology book, dealing with such things as motivation, organizational skills, and how to deal with stress. It's chock full of seemingly unique information, and interesting quotes and tidbits. For example, it states "Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall." The book isn't boring or repetitive, and is written in a pleasing, conversational manner. Everyone should give this a read, not just those interested in business success. Author of Adjust Your Brain: A Practical Theory for Maximizing Mental Health.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not the whole she-bang but it's still good, 13 Mar 2006
Mr. Philip Hackett (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had the book for a while, but am not a big reader, so progress was slow. This CD is 74 minutes long, which must mean that whole swathes have been cut from the book, but it does provide a good brief overview. If you're likely to struggle to complete the book, this might be a good way to get the general gist. I hope to finish the book later, but am glad I got this. The one down-side to this CD is that whoever compiled it, saw fit to put all 74 minutes onto the first track, which is fine for a single, solid listen, but useless if you need to spread it over a few days (who'd have thought I could be left longing for the days of audio cassettes again!).

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey (Paperback - 4 Jan 2004)