‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life..., 16 May 1999
By A Customer
I was a pretty hardcore carnivore - loved eating meat & seafood all the time.
I picked this book up "on a whim" because I love reading many different viewpoints on various subjects. I thought this book might be interesting.
Little did I know, this book would change my life!
I have not eaten any meat or seafood since the day after I read this book about 10-months ago and would highly recommend it to anyone who can open their mind to the possibility that eating meat might *not* be the right thing to do.
Read this book openly and allow yourself to really question your most closely held values about food & health.
I used to hunt and have not touched a gun since. Might consider it only for target practice, but would NEVER hurt an animal again.

5.0 out of 5 stars What you don't know is hurting you. READ this book, 18 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I highly recommend this book as an eye-opening revelation of the injustices that go on every day in the meat, pesticide & herbicide industries. The one drawback of the book is how angry it made me that such outlandish pratices exist in today's modern society. Luckily, I have been able to redirect that anger towards making a postive change for myself and the earth. This book will save you and contibute to saving the world. I am totally serious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meat's good for your health? Think again..., 30 Jan. 2001
This book covers quite a lot of ground, from how to run a feedlot operation, to how meat affects the health of those who consume it. The sources/citations are thorough, and the evidence presented pretty much speaks for itself. This is a good book to buy for those who claim that 'vegetarians are sick all the time'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, entertaining, and important, 5 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I love hearing Howard Lyman speak in person so it is nice to have a book where I can read about his experiences any time. Mr. Lyman has a refreshingly down to Earth way of getting his important message out. I find that even the most avid meat-eaters enjoy reading his book and hearing him speak. I've seen Mad Cowboy change people from meat-eater to vegetarian overnight. He does not alienate people while he stresses the importance of an animal-free diet. I hope there is another book from Mr. Lyman in the works.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books of the century, 4 July 1998
By A Customer
My son gave me a copy of this book and I intended to just read 20 or so pages and if it didn't do anything for me, to drop it there. However, not only did I find Howard's story extremely compelling, but the rest of the information is absolutely captivating. My son has been a vegetarian for 5 years and has given me other books to read. I couldn't get through any of them before this one. For the first time I think I fully understand my son's reasons for having changed his diet -- because after reading this book I have changed mine. Like Howard, I never thought I would become a vegetarian, but thanks to Howard's book, I am.
Howard manages to create a full context for where our current farming practices and diet are taking us, and it's not a place that is filled with health and joy. By showing the possibilities of the vegetarian diet, he is showing us the way. Bravo, Howard Lyman. Great book. Great life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Important Book!, 24 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This book presents the need for revising our eating habits in a level heade manner. This is for people who may feel alienated by the rhetoric of animal rights groups or offput by what may be perceived as an extremist attitude. Reading this book presents the necessary reasons for adopting a vegan lifestyle to the general reader. Unlike many other sources, this book is not written by people who the average reader can in no way relate to. The author knows firsthand what goes on in the cattle industry. He had the conviction to give up his livelihood for this decision. He was not in a comfortable position where he can condemn the other for errors that only he, and his enlightened friends, could percieve. His presentation of the facts and his life will bring many to see the need for this lifestyle. Read it--for your health, for the planet, for all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and eye opening!!!, 31 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This book is awesome! I have always been a big meat eater until I read this book. No one can possibly look at a piece of meat again and have a craving for it after reading this book. I didn't realize how much horrid stuff is involved with the cattle industry. I am going to send a copy to my mother so she can realize she doesn't need meat anymore. Thanks for a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Lyman is telling the truth, 13 July 1998
By A Customer
I too inherited land in the West from my grandparents. I have seen what has happened over the last 50 years. I know personally men who are living what Lyman is writing about. Lyman's book is true. (The abuse of our environment and our land is beyond rape. After all, the victim usually survives a rape. This is more like murder.) This will all come to an end the day the Midwest/West runs out of water, and this day is coming. Our family farm, which used to pump water with a windmill, now can no longer "get water." I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a return to the Dust Bowl, which my father lived through. We need to use sustainable farming. And the practice of making herbivores eat other animals needs to be stopped immediately, until modern science has a better handle on CJ disease. Pesticides, herbicides--nobody knows the results of using these agents over 50 or 100 years. But you can believe Howard Lyman. I wish he would address the concentrated hog feeding issue. This is going to be worse than the (cattle) feedlots. Keep telling the truth, Howard. It's not just Montana. The future of our nation is at stake.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book Opened My Eyes and Changed My Life, 11 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
Before reading "Mad Cowboy," I was a confirmed meat eater, although I did want to cut back on or eliminate more and more meat from my diet for health reasons. The book confirmed the wisdom in doing that, but it also opened my eyes to the cruelty done to animals and the destruction done to the planet all for the sake of my taste buds. Now I'm committed to doing my part to alter that by becoming a vegan.
Do yourself and the planet a good turn: Spread the word about how important it is to read this book and take its warnings to heart.
Bless you, Howard Lyman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book and you will think twice about eating meat!, 25 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
Until I read this book , I never realized the impact that the meat-eating world had on our environment, health, economics and overall well-being as a people. "Mad Cowboy" explains in detail the physical and moral destruction of our planet brought on by our own ignorance to the happenings around us. If you gain nothing else from this book, you will learn that our obsession with eating meat has a definite and powerful impact on ourselves and everything around us.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mad Cowboy
Mad Cowboy by LYMAN (Paperback - 27 Aug. 2001)