5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but not the copies bought from Amazon, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Overcome Neck & Back Pain (Paperback)
First of all a warning: I ordered a new copy of this book from Amazon recently as a gift, and although what arrived was new, it was not an "original" copy or the book but a bound collection of photocopied pages. I believe this is a Print On Demand book, however the quality of the scanning and copying of the images was so poor the the book was bordering on useless, so I sent it back and bought a second hand copy instead.
Now for the review: I first encountered this book in 2001, after a very severe stint of sciatica which had seen me off work for over a month. Although in time my pain had diminished enough for me to move around a bit and get back to work, I was still in a lot of pain and was very fortunate to stumble across Overcome Neck and Back Pain in a library where my girlfriend worked. I eventually bought a copy of my own, and have since leant it to friends who have had back pain or sciatica, and all of them have gone on to buy a copy themselves, which I think it testament to its effectiveness. I have often returned to this book myself over the intervening 10 years and would consider it to be one of the best purchases I have ever made.
Overcome Neck and Back Pain is essentially a Do-It-Yourself manual for the back. It is predominantly a book of stretches for the rehabilitation and prevention of muscle tightness leading to neck or back pain, although the audience of people who could benefit from it is much wider than those with neck or back problems as these can lead to many other issues such as sciatica, headaches, mobility problems, etc. This is visible by the way the author pays a lot of attention to the role of tightness in the hip and upper leg muscles in back pain, and this is certainly one of the strengths of the book as it acknowledges the interconnectivity of the muscles in the human frame. There are also very useful sections on self-diagnosis of neck and back pain, explanations of the author's underlying theories about neck and back pain issues, other rehabilitative actions that can be taken in conjunction with the stretching, and relaxation methods to assist with the effectiveness of the stretching. The book is a rarity in being both a very interesting read when tackled from cover to cover, as well as a reference book which can be consulted as needed (although I would recommend a full read in advance).
All up it is a distinctly different but completely logical course of treatment for anyone with neck or back issues, avoiding the tried-and-failed methods of lumbar cushions and other forms of "palliative" care by actually addressing the issues that cause most people to be in pain, and helping the reader to avoid them. It does however place the onus on treatment firmly with the person in pain, so there is no benefit to be had from this book for people who are more inclined to look to others for treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of back-pain relief, 28 July 2008
I've just dusted this book off again due to recent increased back pain (I'm a computer programmer). Looking at the notes I'd left in the book I first started following these exercises 9 years ago, whilst having Physio for my bad back, neck and shoulder.
Each time I follow this book my back gets better, then I get lazy and slowly the pain comes back again.
I read a lot of books 10 years ago for back pain - Overcome Neck and Back Pain came out best and has consistently worked for me. It is one of few books that I'll only lend out on the proviso that *it must come back to me*.
If your back hurts, I'd really suggest you take a look.

Overcome Neck & Back Pain
Overcome Neck & Back Pain by Kit Laughlin (Paperback - 1 Dec 1998)
13.79