5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, sound advice
This guy is really down to earth, with advice that I think is very sound. Sure everyones different and there is no such thing as a 'right' or 'wrong' opinion, but much of what I have read just makes sense. Simple, straight forward, great advice for people of all ages and all types.

Published on 8 Jun. 2009 by D. ASHLEY-COWAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing ideas - difficult to implement
Published on 21 Dec. 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, sound advice, 8 Jun. 2009
D. ASHLEY-COWAN (London) - See all my reviews

Grab a copy of amazon for a few quid, read the book in your own way (bit by bit or straight through) and I bet at least 1 point (if not many more) will really hit home. A couple in particular were awesome for me, things you forget about the value of and dont appreciate most moments/days. Changing that makes total sense (at least for me) and makes a real difference.

Very happy with the value of this too, and I have much respect and thanks for the author. Great stuff, sound advice.

David, UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So good that I send it to all my coaching clients!, 9 May 2001
This review is from: The Portable Coach: 28 Sure-fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success (Hardcover)
This book combines personal evolution with sound business/career sense. As you work on each principle (no more than one a week) you will take small actions to change your mindset /old beliefs about how life is, forever. Even applying one of the principles can make a significant difference - I have clients who have doubled their income, started to love their family, healed relationships, increased their profits, got new jobs from applying the principles of attraction - and, not kill themselves through stress doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book ever!, 30 April 2006
This book was my first experience and introduction to coaching. It truly led me along the path I am on now. It has some great checklists and introduces some radical new concepts which really change your thinking, for example being toleration and problem-free and overresponding to events and problems.

Wonderful book and I still refer to it a great deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing ideas - difficult to implement, 21 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
The 28 principles outlined in these tapes run the gamut from common-sense to slightly insane. Worthwhile, but way-too challenging for most folks. Build a super-reserve in all areas? Sure - where do I sign?? Nice idea - but most of us struggle to get there! Unhook from the future? Great idea - also hard to do!! Take care of yourself - elimnate delay - don't tolerate anything - all interesting ideas, all VERY difficult to accomplish!! I listened twice and found few practical applications or advice on the HOW of these methods. Lots of positive thinking, not a lot of reality-based suggestions!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun. 2014
This is one of my favourite books. I first read it more than 15 years ago - in an older edition. I still pick it up and re-read it every year or so. There is a huge amount of wisdom in it - yes, it is hidden it its rather US-centric, coach- and sporting metaphor laden approach.

But try to get past that - and the examples many of which now seem very dated - and you will find real gems of wisdom.

As an other reviewer says, these ideas aren't always easy to implement. It is essential a process based on updating the way you think. And "it is much easier to act your way into a new way of thinking than than think you way into a new way of acting".

But with commitment and effort (and maybe enough desperation!) it is possible to implement many of these principles and have a happy, easier, more fulfilling life (blimey I sound a bit like the late Thomas Leonard - or at least the ghost writer!).

All in all well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and thought provoking life tune up., 19 Dec. 2013
An excellent guide to reviewing and massively improving every aspect of your life. As a life coach who has read hundreds of books similar in aim to this, this is one a handful of must reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still attractive after all these years, 16 Aug. 2012
I read this book as part of my executive coach development to help my business clients. It is such a good reflective and practical read that I will be recommending it to my clients , especially those in business. You must try the exercises for yourself and the you will benefit from the insights that it offers. He is right there is something about physically doing them and putting thoughts on paper. Some great quotes as well to make you think and references to other reading.

Interesting read for anyone involved with develoing self or others, to those in business or leadership looking to develop their success and for those still looking for some meaning to endeavours and life.

Tracy Ward Executive Coach at MGB business and executive coaching - coaching for success and improvement

4.0 out of 5 stars The beginning, 23 Aug. 2013
A most read for every coach, it is truly the beginning. Found a great used version, and are very happy about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good introduction to the attraction principle, 8 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
When I first became interested in setting-up my coaching practice I experienced an in-built kind of resistance. I kept walking around telling myself: 'we've always done that - we just didn't call it coaching' Thomas Leonard is much talked about as the founder of the 'personal coaching' movement - hearing other peoples reports of him and actually reading his own words 'from the horses mouth' so to speak are two entirely different things. I would recommend anybody who is interested in self development or advancement to read this book - whether or not you coach! And I am right - and so is Thomas Leonard - we have been coaching each other for probably as long as people have walked on the face of the earth... we just didn't call it that! The difference these days is that you can hire somebody to coach you as often and whenever you want - rather than having to wait until it's convenient for friends and family to coach you on their terms!

The Portable Coach: 28 Sure-fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success